Essential oils - what should I avoid?

Kittenk

Pregnant, first trimester
Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this. I love my oils and use them regularly, but I know there are some to be avoided when pregnant and that they change over the course of the pregnancy. Anyone got info or experience?

The following essential oils should be avoided altogether during pregnancy:

Angelica; Aniseed: Basil; Bay; Birch; Bitter Almond; Camphor; Cassia; Caraway; Carrot Seed; Cedarwood; Celery; Chamomile; Clary Sage; Clove; Cinnamon; Comphrey; Cumin; Cypress; Eucalyptus; Fennel; Galbanum; Hyssop; Jasmine; Juniper; Marjoram; Melissa; Mugwart; Mustard; Myrrh; Nutmeg; Origanum; Parsley; Pennyroyal; Peppermint (and during breastfeeding as it could discourage the flow of milk); Rose; Rosemary; Sage; Santolina; Spearmint; Tarragon; Thyme; Wintergreen; Wormwood; Yarrow.

All of the above oils are emmenagogues, which means they promote and regularise menstrual flow, causing your period to start.The main reason why pregnant women are encouraged not to use essential oils during pregnancy is that due to their tiny molecular structure, plant essences can easily slip through the skin and into your bloodstream. When pregnant, your skin becomes more permeable, making it even easier and quicker for the oils to enter the bloodstream and cross the placental barrier.

Wow I never knew that! Thanks Jemima!

I've done a bit of follow up research on the net and found lots of conflicting information, so I think I'll just not use anything for a while!

I would recommend you stay away from using essential oils in your first trimester (if using in baths especially), as Jemima says, they can seep through the skin and into your uterus / womb etc if used in baths for example, which can cause harm to baby.

However, i would recommend (if your suffering with nausea / morning sickness) adding a few drops of ginger or peppermint oil to water (or candle wax) and having it on your desk etc to help with this....

i swear by this and use it all the time!

i am a qualified Aromatherapist! x

So would it be OK to sniff the oil bottle? when I had ms the other day I could smell sickness for a while after I actually got sick, and sniffing my bottle of eucalyptus seemed to help. Is that OK?

thats ok! wud recommend wafting it with your hand (rather than shoving up your nose etc...lol).

x

Thanks Clare81, good to have an aromatherapist on the board!

Thanks for the post - very interesting. I was meant to be going to a hen party spa thingy with massage but when the girl said she would just use plain oil I was a bit disappointed. I love my smellies :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->