Eugh, poor weight gain- advice? Updated!!

lau86

Reaction score
My LO was 7lb 11 born and did really well after birth, by day 5 he was back to birth weight and by Day 14 he was 8lb 3. I've just had him weighed today and he was only 8lb4 (4 weeks old). He had a rotten cold about a week ago and I felt his feeding did suffer but other than that I think he's been fine. He has plenty of wet nappies but No poos in a couple of days. The HV says this is a sign of poor milk supply. He feeds every 3-4 hours and I can hear him swallowing milk. I think the last few days he's had a growth spurt and has been cluster feeding a lot.
The HV says to feed him 2 hourly... I am prepared to do this if necessary but I've got my older child too and it's really gonna affect my ability to do things with him if I have to feed so often
Any advice on this? I thought I was doing so well this time, my first had a tongue tie and his weight gain was slow but steady.

Lack of dirty nappies is NOT a sign of poor milk supply. Some breastfed babies only poo once every few days, or even less. If you're hearing him swallowing and he's having plenty of wet nappies, then he is most likely getting enough milk. His cold could well have affected him. If I were you, I would continue to feed on demand rather than trying to force a 2 hourly schedule, and see how his weight is doing next time.

My son used to go a week without pooing when he was exclusively breastfed, so I agree with pp that HV is totally wrong on that front. Good luck x

I have a real poor experience of Advice from HV!!! Yours sounds like another!!

My LO quit often goes 5 days with out pooing, as long as lots if wet nappies it's fine. My LO was also doing really well with weight gain but suddenly stopped gaining what he should 50th to 9 percentile! He was feeding every 4 hrs or so totalling 6 feeds in 24 hrs (slightly longer over night a little cluster feed in evening) I upped to 7 feeds, so every 3 hrs and occasionally topped up with expressed if I was able to express any. His weight has picked up after 2 weeks, not to what it should be but in right direction. Every 2 hrs sounds a bit much maybe try every 3 to start with and see how he goes. I imagine him being a bit u well has contributed too so hopefully next weigh in he will be on his way again.

Just a little update from me, in case anyone wanted to know! I took him to get weighed today, he has gone from 8lb4 to 9lb2 in a week!!! That's a gain of 14 ounces...
I don't know whether the previous weight was wrong or whether he really has gained that amount, my first son never gained anything like that.
Anyway, I'm quite happy now he is bobbing along his centile nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->