Ever heard of Herman the friendship cake?

L

lepaskilf

I have never heard of this before but then I was given some the other day. It's uncooked sourdough, along with some instructions about caring for it for 10 days, stirring each day and adding ingredients on other days until you divide it in to 4, give 3 away to friends to start again, and with the 4th you add more ingredients and cook it!

It's fab, I had some of my friends cooked cake the other day (when she gave me the dough) and it's gorgeous!!...

But I'm a bit worried as she kept it for 10 days, I'm keeping some of it for 10 days and adding to it, I'm going to give some of it away to 3 people who will then keep it and add to it for 10 days and so on.... Is this not unhygienic?

P.s... My friend who I got it from is a GP so I think it must be okay!

Here, I've found a bit more info about it:

What Is This German Friendship Cake?

Herman the German friendship cake is a sourdough cake recipe which is several decades old. Obviously the mix isn't decades old but you get the idea! It passes through circles of friends and family similar to a chain letter.

The origin may have been from the Amish people, who used something similar - sourdough bread that was passed around to the sick and needy. If you know where this idea originally came from please feel free to comment.

The Herman Starter Mix

If you cant wait to receive a starter for this great little cake, the starter mix is very easy. Here's how to start your own.

Ingredients:

5oz plain flour
8oz castor sugar
Half a pint of warm milk
2 fl oz lukewarm water
1 packet of active dry yeast

Instructions:

Dissolve the yeast in warm water for 10 minutes then stir.
Add the flour and sugar then mix thoroughly.
Slowly stir in the warm milk.
Cover the bowl with a clean cloth.
Leave in a cool, dry place for 24 hours.
Now begin at day one of the 10 day cycle, as per the friendship cake instructions.

A bubbling dish of goo, sorry - 'German friendship cake mix' (flour, milk and sugar apparently). The instructions I received were quite clear 'You cannot put me in the fridge or I will die. If I stop bubbling, I am dead.' What a responsibility I had ahead of me.

I read on and felt relieved as the only thing you really have to do from day to day is give him a stir.

Half way through the ten day cycle add some flour, milk and sugar then on the tenth day add the ingredients for the cake and bake. How difficult could this be?

A common cycle is based on the addition of one cup each of sugar, flour, and milk every five days, with the mix being shared into equal portions and the cake being baked every tenth day. The ten day cycle produces four starter mixes, which must be either used to bake a cake, given away, or used to start a new cycle. It is common to bake one part and give away the other three.

German Friendship Cake Instructions

Here are the instructions I received with my little Herman. Quite straight forward really.

Hello, my name is Herman.

I am a sourdough cake. I'm supposed to sit on your worktop for 10 days without a lid on.

You CANNOT put me in the fridge or I will die. If I stop bubbling, I am dead.

Day

You get Herman and put him in a large mixing bowl and cover loosely with a tea towel.
Stir well
Stir well
Herman is hungry. Add 1 cup each of plain flour, sugar and milk. Stir well.
Stir well
Stir well
Stir well
Stir well
Hungry again. Add the same as day 4 and stir well. Divide into 4 equal portions and give away to friends with a copy of these instructions. Keep the 4th one.
Herman is very hungry. Stir well and add the following:

1 cup sugar
half tsp (teaspoon) salt
2 cups plain flour
2/3 (two thirds) cup of cooking oil
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 cooking apples cut into chunks
1 cup raisins
2 heaped tsp cinnamon
2 heaped tsp baking powder

Mix everything together and put into a large greased baking tin. Sprinkle with a quarter of a cup of brown sugar and a quarter of a cup of melted butter. Bake for 45 minutes at 170-180C. When cold cut into finger pieces. Cake freezes well and is also delicious warm with cream or ice-cream.

My mum made this. My kids loved the cake. Its quite fun to do. They helped every day..

Oh god not the cake! We had 5 seperate people give it to us. The cake was nice but it was such a stress and we were eating it for ages!

/\ /\........ Haha!!! :HAHA:

This is the 1st time we've had it so I'm quite excited, but my friends was saying that her OH was getting so fed up with it always being on the kitchen counter!

I've heard of it but never done it. I don't think I have enough friends to share it with :rofl:

I know Herman and apparently it tastes good. :) Never had one myself but I know friends who had :)

As we speak, i am eatting Herman.
herman is very nice indeed.

It's funny, everyone says they get so fed up with it, but it tastes lovely! I'll deal with it for the taste :)

Never been given it but I know there is a non-sourdough version that Mennonites make where the recipe is almost identical. Just it is only left to prove for a few hours, not many days. I made it once and it was very nice, tastes like stollen but without the marzipan part xx

My mom came round today and she told me she's been given one to do. I'd never heard of it before today!

Never heard of it, I would be a little concerned at how long that peice of dough had been sitting around for and how many hands its passed through though :)

We were eating it all the time for ages and I grew to really hate that cake.

Never heard of it, I would be a little concerned at how long that peice of dough had been sitting around for and how many hands its passed through though :)

It's not the dough that sits around, it's a flour paste that naturally ferments and you only use a small amount to make the cake. it's natures natural yeasts that form to make the raising agent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->