• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Excited about labor

DaisyDreamer

mama to a beautiful boy
Reaction score
Is anyone else just really really excited about the time they go into labor? As a FTM I thought I would be more nervous about it but I'm really just excited to have contractions and lose my waters and all that stuff. Just can't wait to meet my baby :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

I'm also very excited for labor and to meet my little one and have her on the outside! Reading the thread on here about embarassing and funny stories has helped. It's only a few hours for a lifetime right?

I'm excited too! I had a good labor last time, although it didn't quite go to plan, and I'm hoping this time it's even better. I know what's waiting for me lol, but it's gonna be worth it. I'm so ready to be snuggling my baby :cloud9: I've been reading in the birth stories section, can't wait for it to be my turn!

I was really excited the first time. And with the experience I had, this time I am terrified, to be perfectly honest.

It's hard not to be scared about the unknown as a FTM and after a bad experience I think it would be hard not to be a little pensive. But I don't know something in me is just reassuring that everything is going to be okay getting this little bundle to the outside world.
Not even worried about the pain or anything--looking forward to all of it and I think I will enjoy the process too :)

Those of you who have delivered before, was it a natural experience?

With me, my DD was born via emergency cesarean. I wanted a natural, unmedicated birth. And because baby was massive, I agreed to an induction. At 40+4 weeks I was induced. I got to 4cm, and failed to progress. I have a birth story, if you would like to read it. It was far from natural.

This time I am planning for an unmedicated VBAC. And will not be allowed to be talked into doing anything different. My doctor has been trying to back-handedly talk me into a repeat cesarean this entire pregnancy. And I refuse.

I was excited too..! I had about half an hours worth of nerves when the pain started where I thought 'actually this whole thing is quite scary' haha..! But that soon subsided, and in the lead-up and everything, I was excited for labour to start and to give birth. Mine was natural (waterbirth with gas and air). Funnily enough I said to my OH only today that I wish I could do it all again (baby is 4 weeks old)..!

Those of you who have delivered before, was it a natural experience?
Sadly, no. I wanted to try for a natural birth, but at 5 cm went to the hospital, got some pain medication, then stalled at 7 cm. After staying there for 5 hours, I got an epidural and a small amount of pitocin. Length of labor was something like 28 hrs and it was all back labor! It was still a good experience, I had a lot of support and got a beautiful boy at the end of it :cloud9:

I hope this time will be natural. I'm going to stay home longer, hopefully will get to the hospital just in time to deliver baby.

Even tho I want time to slow down, I really can't wait!! I had great experiences with both kids and everything was perfect!! My water broke with my first which gave me time to shower and get ready. With my second I was in prodromal labor for 8 days (that was kind of a pain as I just having false labor that never progressed) and when I finally went it was quick and easy. Hoping my waters go again this time.

Beth, that's what I'm most anxious about happening. Sorry you went through that, I really hope this time around you can go for VBAC and be as natural as possible!

Memma, that sounds wonderful! Am trying to go for a natural unmedicated water birth. I don't know if that birth center offers gas and air. Think the realization of giving birth might hit me but hopefully I'll manage to get back to being relaxed about it haha.

Pita, at least it was a good experience! I'm trying to not worry about all the what ifs that could happen because a LOT of people plan natural births and things go not so as planned. Have to remember to be flexible :thumbup: Really hope this time around for you works out to be natural as well!

Winterbabies, that's great to hear you had two great labors! Gets me more motivated and excited :)

I would be really interested to hear the birth stories from ladies who have no fear. I'm reading 'hypbobirthing - the mongan method' and the premise is that fear of pain causes more pain so if you have no fear then childbirth should be painless.

I was terrified of giving birth with dd and had back to back labour with continuous contractions from 2cm. I was in the zone. After 8 hours of continuous contractions and not progressing my midwife recommend an epidural. I left the mental zone. Then they couldn't get the epi in and I thought I was going to die from the pain. The next person got the epi in and dd was born the next day.
I don't think a back labour helped for me at all. I am very happy with dd''s birth and sometimes I think it might have ended in a c section without an epi but sometimes I wonder if it would have gone the other way if I'd stayed in the zone (self hypnosis).

I'm going to try natural again (in hospital). Here in nz they like to go natural as much as possible and I have a supportive midwife. If I have another back labour I may rethink things.

I'm just excited about holding my baby in my arms.

I'm absolutely terrified! Excited to meet her and have her here but not the getting her out bit!

Oddly I am a little apprehensive this time, yet had a lovely 1st birth. Homebirth, used TENS then birth pool, surprised the midwifes when she arrived as there was no active pushing (body just did everything for me).

Wondering if maybe subconsciously I don't believe I could be so lucky twice, although I don't think having issues with child care for dd is helping either :shrug: I definitely think being informed is important so that if things don't go as you'd hoped you still feel in control and like you had a good birth.

Best of luck to everyone, hoping we all manage the birth we desire :flower:

Spudtastic, it's interesting you should say that... I didn't manage to get onto my local hypnobirthing course (I wanted to, but couldn't get childcare for my twins) but now I think about it...

I only went into hospital because I started bleeding (I had been contracting on and off for a couple of days, but I knew labour still wasn't established yet as my contractions were stronger but still irregular). As expected, I was only 3cm when I got to hospital but was kept in because of the bleeding.
5 hours later I was still 3cm and I then became very despondent and scared that it wasn't going to happen and that I was going to end up with a caesarean because Labour still wasn't progressing. The contractions then became much much stronger and a different midwife wanted to examine me again because I was visibly in so much more pain. But because it had only been 45 minutes since the last examination, I panicked more and wouldn't let her because I was terrified I'd still be 3cm; and the pain was so much worse now, that I didn't know what I'd do if that was the case (because I was on the antenatal ward so couldn't have any pain relief).
I began to lose the plot a bit because everything was just overwhelming me then, and the pain was terrible between the panicking and crying.

I did let her examine me and she told me I was 4cm, so I was taken up to labour ward (6 hours after I came into hospital).
From then on, the pain was much more bearable. I remember saying to OH that I felt much calmer being on labour ward because I knew it meant things were happening, whereas before I had been in pain but knew that I still wasn't 'in labour' so it felt like for nothing. I coped much better after that which I assume is because i was so much calmer and less scared. It certainly wasn't painless, but compared to the pain I was feeling when i was panicking, it was much better.

I then had a quick labour (he was born 3 hours later), so it was pretty intense, but it was bearable by staying calm as much as possible.

The only time I panicked again was when I kept being told not to push because it was 'too early' and I couldn't help it. Again, that was pretty painful as I was being told to do one thing and my body was doing the opposite, so I was trying to fight it and it wasn't happening! I was fine once I knew it actually WAS ok to push and I was allowed to just get on with it (I asked them to examine me and check because I couldn't stop).

Oh, meeeeeeeee!!! I had a pretty good experience with my first. I wouldn't call childbirth "easy" ever, but I had heard a lot of horror stories before my first, and even though there were moments of my birth process that were very overwhelming and uncomfortable (ok, painful, lol), it's overshadowed by the excitement of your beautiful baby being born! And you tend to have selective memory afterwards anyway ;) lol. So all in all, I'm not worried about this one and very ready to meet my baby!!

Keebs, sounds like you had a really great experience first time around! There's no reason why the next time shouldn't be lovely if baby is cooperating and in position of course. GL!

Memma it's interesting that you noticed the pain to be more bearable when you actually knew things were progressing with your labor. The mind is a very powerful tool!

It's not going to be easy, but I really think it will be something that I'll actually enjoy. It's just going to be so surreal when it actually happens though!

I'm starting to get very excited. I know it will be painful, but right now all I can think about is that the pain will only be temporary and I'll be getting a little baby boy out of it. So I'm honestly not scared at all.

It's just going to be so surreal when it actually happens though!
I remember being in labor at the hospital, experiencing the worst pain of my life, while my mom, a labor and delivery nurse, and the midwife sat on the couch chatting about their profession, completely nonchalant. That was very surreal lol!

I'm really looking forward to it this time around again. First birth was super amazing, just as I dreamed really. 6 hour, unmediated home birth. Leading up to my due date my midwife was so surprised that I had no fears, worries, etc about labour. I told her I felt my body knew what to do and I'm going to just trust the process. Praying this time around is the same :flower: ! The "pain" for me wasn't really like PAIN, it was a process and it just felt normal, even though it was uncomfortable. It is very hard work though, don't get me wrong!

Yes hard work indeed. And it starts as soon as this little bean burrows itself into our women. It is such a gift to be pregnant--it's the most amazing and peaceful and connected I've ever felt to anything. Maybe because it's such a natural beautiful thing :cloud9:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->