• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Excited about labor

I've had two very good birthing experiences, both at home with TENS then pool. No entinox or anything else. I fine the whole experience very rewarding and interesting. It's just the post partum recovery that's shit.

Diz, so can you rent a TENS machine for the birth? I've had them attached to me during physical therapy and LOVED the way it felt on my shoulders and hips. Would you say that it helps block out some of the pain of contractions?

Can you use a regular tens machine? My husband has one that he uses on his back and i think i may give it a try during labor.

I had no fear of labour, I knew it was going to hurt more than I could ever imagine, but I saw it as a challenge and was looking forward to it! Well, things totally derailed and pretty much everything that I didn't want to happen ended up happening. False labour started at 2am on Dec 6th, I had quite painful contractions but they didn't come regularity or increase in intensity. I would get a minimum of 1 contraction and hour, sometimes they would last 90 sec, other times they would come every 2 min but only last 30 sec. They were painful enough to wake me up and I'd have to stand up to breathe through them (throughout my entire labour I could not sit or lay down through a contraction, I had to be standing or kneeling to manage the pain). This false labour lasted about 30 hrs until about 10 am on Dec 7th when the contractions started to become a bit more regular but I still wasn't sure if it was true labour. We headed into the city to the hospital (30 min away) that evening around 7pm, I couldn't sit in the car and had to kneel backwards in the backseat hanging onto the bars of the dog barrier the whole way! I got checked at the hospital and I was 3-4 cm and in early labour. We left and checked into a nearby hotel where I continued to labour quite painfully until we headed back to the hospital at midnight. I was 4 cm dilated and just starting active labour. I was absolutely exhausted from so little sleep at this point and the nurse suggested I take a shot of morphine so I could get some sleep since I still had a long ways to go. I had wanted a natural birth without drugs but the thought of another sleepless night in pain was just so daunting so I agreed. My partner and I discussed it and we figured that since I was progressing slowly and still had such a long way to go, and the worst was yet to come, it was better to get some rest early on so that I had energy for when things got really hard. Looking back wish I hadn't taken the morphine because although I had some relief from the pain, I wasn't able to really sleep, and when the drugs had worn off my contractions had definitely slowed in frequency and intensity. I got checked again at 5 am and I was 5 cm. we walked and bounced on the ball and contractions got going again, but at 9 am I was still only 5 cm so the doctor broke my water. Contractions again amped up, but I was only 6-7 cm by noon. At this point I asked for gas and air as I was really struggling to cope. I started crying and saying that I couldn't do this anymore, which made me think I was hitting transition. Although I was in excruciating pain and really struggling, I kept reminding myself that transition is the shortest part of labour, and pretty soon I would be pushing. Well, by 2pm I was still only 7 cm dilated and I completely melted down, I just couldn't continue on the way things were going. It was one thing to be in pain if you are making progress, but to go through all of that and get nowhere was the worst thing I could imagine and I was just so defeated by this point. The doctor decided to start pitocin to get me dilate and I continued to further melt down. I absolutely did not want an epidural because of the increased risk of requiring an assisted delivery or EMCS, but there was absolutely no way I could tolerate stronger contractions on pitocin without some pain relief. In the end my partner and I discussed it and we opted for the epidural because I was so exhausted that even if I managed to dilate completely without pain relief, I was so exhausted I wouldn't have any energy left to push. So after about 30 hrs of false labour and then about 30 hrs of actual labour I got an epidural. The nurse hadn't even layed me back down in the bed yet before I was asleep! While I slept they hooked up the pitocin drip. I slept like a rock for a few hours, and when I woke I was surprised that I could move my legs, they just felt quite heavy, and I could feel the contractions really well, they just didn't hurt. Soon after waking up I felt a lot of pressure in my bum so I asked to be checked and I was fully dilated and ready to push! I was determined to avoid any further intervention, I don't know where I found the strength but I pushed my little girl out in an hour, which according to the nurses was pretty good considering how long I had been labouring. It ended up just about 36 hrs of true labour by the time she was born.

I went into the birth confident and positive and without fear of the pain, and looking forward to a completely natural childbirth. In the end I ended up taking every type of pain relief they had! I think having a positive attitude definitely goes a long way, but sometimes things just don't go the way you want no matter how positive and fearless you are! Everyone experiences labour differently, I was having strong painful contractions at 3-4 cm dilated, other people walk around totally fine for weeks at 3 cm dilated near the end of their pregnancy. It's all so individual.

Sorry for the huge essay, just wanted to provide my story for those who said they'd like to hear birth stories from people who went into the birth with no fear!

Jess - thanks for your birth story. It's very interesting to hear. Was your baby back to back? The lack of progression and constant pain is what made me get the epidural and the rest I got from it probably is why I pushed baby out with no assistance. The midwife told my husband that without pain relief it would have been a three day labour.

I rented a tens machine last time. They are specific for labour and are different slightly from the physio ones.
It didn't work so well for me I'm wondering if it was because I didn't turn it up high enough so will try again this time.

Jess - thanks for your birth story. It's very interesting to hear. Was your baby back to back? The lack of progression and constant pain is what made me get the epidural and the rest I got from it probably is why I pushed baby out with no assistance. The midwife told my husband that without pain relief it would have been a three day labour.

I rented a tens machine last time. They are specific for labour and are different slightly from the physio ones.
It didn't work so well for me I'm wondering if it was because I didn't turn it up high enough so will try again this time.

No she wasn't back to back, she was actually perfectly positioned and really low. When she came out she had her hand in her face which is why I tore (very complicated second degree tear, took them an hour and a half to sew me up!), but that wouldn't have affected the progression of the labour. She was an amazing little trooper, no signs of distress throughout the whole ordeal.

We did Bradley Method natural childbirth classes, I read a lot of birthing books, drank gallons of raspberry leaf tea. I thought I was prepared but sometimes things don't go as planned no matter how much prep you do.

Nope not me lol. Admittedly now it won't be labour as such as I'm getting a section in about 3 weeks (both babies iugr below 10th percentile and both breech). But up until about 2 months ago I was all excited for it again (3rd pregnancy) until I got severe leg cramp one night.. Lasted about a minute and was crying in pain. Suddenly all came flooding back to me how painful labour was and from that night on I was dreading it lol.

I would take that over being this scared of a section any day though. One thing I will say is yer write a birth plan, but be warned that really once your there you just go with it. Any strong wishes being written down is ideal but anything more than that is pointless imo. My first birth I wanted all natural and to breastfeed, ended up with pitocin, epidural, daughter wouldn't latch at all and seeing it all written down upset me so much, last time I wanted a water birth but it all happened so fast didn't get a chance (I did do it med free though.. The transition phase was awful your body really takes over I felt almost as if I was outside my own body from the pain it was so odd). This time I knew I'd need an epidural as they strongly advise it with twins to avoid th having to put you under general if and emergency section is needed.. But again that's all been taken out of my hands.

Labour is definitely an experience and a half, quite a good one when you look past the pain afterwards. But try to explore all possible outcomes so you feel prepared if your ideal doesn't become favourable!

I'm so jealous I won't get to experience it this time round x

Aww I found the build up to labour so exciting and I looked forward to it each time (I have 3 LO's). My labours were all different but all positive. I'm sad I don't get to do it again :haha:

Everyone thinks I'm crazy because I'm more excited than scared lol. I'm a FTM mommy too and I can't wait to meet my LO. I also trust my delivery doctor highly, so I think that's another reason I'm not as scared :)

I am so excited about the birth too! I've had two amazing births in hospital where the hospital intervened unnecessarily and as this birth will be completely on my own terms I am so looking forward to how much better it will be without the unneeded interference (which really hindered the post birth oxytocin bubble - I'm looking forward to an undisturbed magic 'hour' post birth more than anything I think). :cloud9:

As for the TENS I've never used one but I do known of some who have used a regular TENS machine. Its not as effective as one made specifically for labour which has a boost button to easily turn it up during contractions, but if you have a regular one then I don't see a point in hiring a labour one really.

I'm kinda excited too in a weird way because I've experienced it before so know what to expect lol! I just can't wait to get to a point where you know labour can happen anytime and just waiting on those little signs and of course meeting my lil baby :)

As horrible as my first labour was I'm looking forward to doing it again because it's so worth it.

I'm very much looking forward to having this baby, feeling incredibly pregnant already (much more so than at this stage with my other 2) and since I went overdue with my 2 girls it's likely I will again :dohh: I'm apprehensive about another potential induction but hoping that whatever happens I have another quick labour like I did with my second, intense but soon over with! :winkwink:

7 times and i love it the excitement dont get me wrong hurts
you will have never felt anything like it before
relax as much as possible that makes it easier :) gl ladies

It is an exciting time, although I'm hoping it happens in the daytime, because by the time it's nighttime I'm feeling so rough that I'm just thinking 'not tonight please, I just want to sleep!'

It is an exciting time, although I'm hoping it happens in the daytime, because by the time it's nighttime I'm feeling so rough that I'm just thinking 'not tonight please, I just want to sleep!'

I totally relate to this!!! Day time PLEASE! If labour started after my morning cup of coffee I'd be good as gold! :haha:

I totally relate to this!!! Day time PLEASE! If labour started after my morning cup of coffee I'd be good as gold! :haha:

Hahaha yess!!! After I get my son on the bus and get my cup of coffee in me, bring it on!! Or if I take a nap that day and she decides to come at night, I better have everyone in bed!!!

I actually want a day time birth where I will be back home with my son within a few hours lol

Despite having hypnobirthing classes I'm getting more and more terrified as the days go on! I think a lot of my worry is I don't know WHEN it's going to happen and I feel like a ticking time bomb, I might be a bit relieved when it starts as I won't have to worry when it will be anymore.

Also as a FTM I have no idea what to expect, I've never even held a baby so really can't think about the wonderful gift I will be getting at the end of it as I have zero baby experience, of course I'm excited to meet them and hold them but just can't imagine the love I will feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->