Exclusive pumping whilst baby is in nicu

amelia26

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has been in this situation?

My term baby is in Nicu and won't be able to go on the breast for some time. When she does start feeds they will be tube feeds to start with and will increase very gradually.

She was able to breastfeed for 2.5 days before she had surgery. That was enough to bring my milk in. So I'm at the full, engorged stage.

I'm pumping to keep supply going so she can breastfeed when she's ready.
I'm pumping the right but hand expressing the left (pump isn't effective that side and nipple is damaged for trying).
I'm not sure how much to pump though. Hospital said every 3 hours, but how long for?
It feels like a never ending supply. I could go for hours and still get milk, just very slowly. Should I put a time limit on it? Or a volume to aim for?

I'm currently getting 3 to 4oz each time. She's 4 days old but a big bag.

I pumped exclusively for 2 weeks while my son was in the NICU. I had to bring in my supply too, so I'm glad to hear you did that naturally!

I pumped every 3 hours for at least 15 minutes, usually 15-20. Until the milk slowed considerably. I could sometimes get a second let down around 15 minutes and then I'd do 25 I think?

My milk came in slowly so I was getting 1-2 oz each time at first. When my milk was in fully I was getting probably 4-6 oz each time.

If you are getting enough milk, I wouldn't push it, it's a delicate balance - I ended up with really bad oversupply and overactive let down from all the pumping, which was difficult for my preemie to adjust to when he got on the breast. It also caused him to have green poops and probably didn't get as much fatty hindmilk for a while, because of the oversupply, which didn't help him because he was small.

But all in all, I stuck with it and we were able to convert to all from the breast feeds (with nipple shield) at 2-2.5 weeks and go home on all from the breast feeds. He is 2.5 and still nursing like a champ, tandem nursing with my term baby (who is 3 months).

Thanks for sharing your experience. That's wonderful that you managed to exclusively bf.

I was very lucky that A managed to bring in my milk before she went nil by mouth. I imagine it's a lot harder having to bring it in yourself.

I've settled into a routine of about every 3 hours in the day. At night I pump about 10.30pm before bed then wake about 2am and pump, then again about 6 or 7.
I'm getting any 6 x 3oz a day. So abut 18oz total. I'm going that's not toi bad (baby is 6 days old. But big - 9lb 10oz at birth).

I could pump more but my nipples are really feeling it and I don't want to overdo it. I had over supply when bf my son and I'm sure he wasn't emptying the breasts at 6 days old.

Lactation at both hospitals(twins unfortunately at 2 different nicus) for me told me to do the following:

Pump every 2 to 3 hours for 15 to 20 minutes. Can take one 6 hour sleep stretch, I do mine 12am to 6am. If I am not getting enough or need to increase supply they said to power pump. This means after my 15 to 20 minute pump I take a 10 minute break then pump again for 10 minutes.

Also don't use the high setting on the pump, if your nipples hurt it usually means the shield piece isn't the right size or the pumps on to high. It shouldn't hurt when or after you pump. I learned that the hard way.

Good luck

I would second the shield - perhaps see if you can get a bigger one, it made the world of difference to my supply too.
And dont drop the night one - that is vital!

My twins are 8 days old and I pump every 3 hours for 15-20 minutes and get anywhere from 4-6 oz. I have an electric pump, my one twin is breast feeding 2-3 times a day while I am able to be at the NICU. He will be coming home in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->