Exclusively pumping want to exclusively breastfeed help please

cnob009

Reaction score
Hi everyone I need some help. Little one has been exclusively drinking pumped breast milk for 5 weeks. Baby sometimes drinks from a nipple shield but he doesn't like it very much. I have also tried to put him on my breast but my nipples are a little flat (use to be inverted 5 weeks ago!) and he doesn't open his mouth wife enough or stay on. But for a minute on and off he will suck. I don't have milk supply issues though I wonder if the let down is too full on for him.

My lactation consultant told me to get him to suck on my nipple shield for 15-20 mins each feed but I found doing it made his feed almost an hour long and with the need to pump as well took me almost 2 hours to do one feeding. By then I had to feed again or had to feed earlier and pumping was missed out. My milk went down as I tried this for a few days. To be honest I was too tired to continue doing it and went back to just pumping and feeding.

Now that I have a better handle on motherhood I wanted to do try again but I don't want to go through weening off a nipple shield. If rather go from bottle fed exclusively to breast fed exclusively.

Anyone know how best to do this or if there's a way to do this?

I'm dying to get this sorted as I have to return my rented pump next week. I originally was going to stop breast milk and go straight to formulae when this happened. But I really want to give it another go. I'd love to breastfeed if I could for as long as possible I no longer want to go to formula.

Please help!

Bf isn't easy and takes some time to get used to for both you and baby.
All I can say is keep trying, put baby to breast as often as possible and maybe try a different position, football hold for example.
You could try holding your breast down near the areola and making a sandwich with your thumb and forefinger, that way it won't be so flat and maybe baby can take more into his mouth and get a better latch.
It'll get better with time and you'll work out the best way to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->