Excuses Not To Drink?

Mild Mango

Reaction score
Next week I have to attend my company's quarterly happy hour event. They rent out a section of a bar/lounge and have an open bar. I've been with my company for a while and everyone knows I always take full advantage of the open bar. Lol.

I wasn't planning on telling anyone at work until after my 12-week scan, and it's going to be highly suspicious if I don't drink. I'm pretty sure my bosses are going to offer me drinks and I don't know how to handle it. Plus there are a few coworkers who will be there that I used to party with.

What are some good excuses not to drink? How can I play it off without making people suspicious?

Hmm. Maybe say your the designated driver? Or say you took a medication that you can't drink alcohol with. Orrrr say you have somewhere else to be after that company party.... I'm not sure, that's tough.

The medication one is a bit iffy, cause they might ask what for, but it is an easy one to say.

Or, you could always pretend to drink and toss it when no one is looking.

I'm telling my big kids I'm on a health kick. Easy for me since one just testing positive for celiac and the other has high triglycerides so they have to eat healthier.

If it's an open bar and you order drinks yourself just ask for a club soda with lime (vodka/soda) or coke with lime (rum and coke)
If someone offers you a drink you can take it "pretend" you are sipping on it.. take it to the bathroom with you and dump some out. haha.
I think the whole hiding drinking is so stressful!!
Today i was going to a family bbq, we BYOB and i filled two beer bottles up with water prior to going to the party. haha

I'd just tell them you are driving and you have a headache or something and don't want to make it worst.

I would say you got a kidney infection and are on antibiotics. My issue with pretending to drink is that if you announce your pregnancy in a few weeks people are going to think you were drinking while pregnant!

I'd just say you're on antibiotics for something minor or get nonalcoholic drinks that appear as alcohol. Wow a coke and lime sounds amazing right now and I don't even drink soda:haha:

It's not recommended to drink when taking amoxicillin, so pretend you have a tooth infection maybe? x

i gave up smoking as soon as i found out i was pregnant so when i got offered out to party or any drinks i said im doing so well not smoking that drinking will ruin all and im not drinking again until i have completely got out of the habit and its worked a treat and when i told a few people last week they could not believed it and really believed my smoking story but i was a heavy smoker and needed to give up so that helped :thumbup:

I'm finding it easiest to say "health kick" or whatever my excuse is flippantly and quickly, and dropping it then changing the subject. The less of a big deal I make of it, the less suspicious I look.

No matter what excuse you choose, just make it quick, easy and then change the subject. Shrug it off like its no big deal. The more time you spend explaining yourself the more suspicious you will look.

Most people are satisfied with a short answer. If you give one, then talk about THEM rather than you, they are all to happy to overlook anything.

Antibiotics , I would tell them you have and ear infection, and the alcohol would interfere with treatment. Seems like the best one with out having to do all the pretending and dumping of drinks. GL.

Last week i had a killer headache and this week i was on antibotics! haha my father in law didnt ask again.

I'd just fake it x) pretend to drink it, set it down somewhere and "forget" it
keep yourself busy talking to distract from the fact you aren't drinking.

Antibiotics. You even have a week to become ill ;)

If you have a vehicle, drive there and when you turn down drinks just say 'No thanks, I have to drive.'

That's what I did and nobody ever questioned me.

Or say you had to take antibiotics for a tooth infection or ear infection.

My advice is be the designated driver, or just pretend to be sipping your drink. When no ones looking, pour it in a plant or something haha :D Good luck xx

I don't think if you pretend to drink, people will automatically assume you were drinking during pregnancy. If asked you can always tell it was just a coke. I don't think people will doubt you on that.
Just make sure you hold a glass of something that might be alcohol. People will rarely ask you what you're drinking.
The antibiotics thing is also very good, but it won't help you for a longer period, as you usually only take them for a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->