Exercise while pregnant?

annie23

Reaction score
Hey Ladies,

I'm currently WTT, however I wondered if any of you had continued or intent to continue to exercise while pregnant and, if you did how you found it.

I really enjoy running and try to run about 5 miles at least twice a week.

Are there any others out there, who continued to run through-out pregnancy etc?

Doctors suggested it's fine as long as you listen to your body etc.

:)

I follow a lot of fit moms in Instagram. I work out about 5 days a week and definitely plan to continue for as long as I can!!

I was thinking about this the other day as I got really unfit while pregnant with DD and wouldn't want to do it a second time.

Ive heard that you're typically okay to continue sensible things that your body is already used to? I do quite high intensity aerobics at the moment with a lot of jumping, ab work etc so am thinking I may try to start walking and swimming more before TTC so that I can do that instead and continue throughout pregnancy...

I exercised until 31 weeks. I ran 5 times a week. Before pregnancy all were 5k runs, as the pregnancy processed I cut down the distance and it took far longer.

It's possible but it's alot harder

I was wondering the same thing as I am doing high intensity workouts about 5 times a week too but didn't do any exercise when I was pregnant with my LO. I definitely want to keep it up when TTC next year but not sure how much is too much and for how long?

My Dr always said as long as you're not increasing what you were doing prepregnancy. My last 2 pregnancies I was not permitted to run due to bleeding but still did moderate exercise. I ran u til about 28 weeks with number 3 but was slower as I was not comfortable.pushing myself too much. But I ran 3-5 times per week between 3-8 miles per run. It really.helped me not gain as much and get back to activity again after. I wouldn't say I kept up the same routine but I didn't stop all together while pregnan . Just listen to your body if your pregnancy is progressing normally.

Yep, just listen to your body and see how you feel. I ran before I was pregnant with my daughter and though I didn't feel like running while pregnant (it wasn't comfortable and I was tired), I did continue to walk about the same distance 3-5 times a week. My husband and I were doing 10-15 mile hikes on the weekends until I was in early 3rd trimester (then I needed to slow down a bit, so switched to more gentle exercise, like just the walking, about 3 miles a day, and swimming a few times a week). It was great. I generally felt well, had a healthy pregnancy, gained a healthy amount of weight for my body (about 18lbs), and had a straightforward, natural birth. I think the fact I stayed active had a lot to do with that. I hope to do the same again next time. You'll know if you need to slow down. My friend is a marathoner and she was doing half marathons into late 2nd tri.

You might find running too much as it may exasperate any back problems that might turn up and your risk of injury is higher due to relaxin. However, as doctors have told you, you can keep doing what you're doing already within reason. Just don't feel too bad if you need to stop or switch to a different activity.

I need to get onto the exercise bandwagon. Labor is supposed to be hard work!

I am a horse back rider, I am going to continue for as long as I can, and from what I was talking to my doctor about I can continue to ride till about 4 or 5 months along. Definietly going to continue that! If running is something you enjoy continue. But just watch for signs of advanced fatigue or back problems

I was very active before becoming pregnant. I was a runner and a rider (horses). I haven't run once since getting pregnant and have only ridden a handful of times all due to extreme nausea. I have felt like crap. Hoping as it tapers off I can get back to at least longer walks and light riding. I did ride once this week and felt super out of breath already...I kind of hate how unfit I've already gotten.

I exercised until 31 weeks. I ran 5 times a week. Before pregnancy all were 5k runs, as the pregnancy processed I cut down the distance and it took far longer.

It's possible but it's alot harder

Can I ask how your pelvic floor ended up after baby? I have heard from one person that her pelvic floor was destroyed from running in pregnancy. She had to have surgery for it. Just one person mind you.

I have never worked out in my previous pregnancies but now I'm in much better shape and exercise 5 days per week with mostly weight training, Pilates, and hiit. I hope to keep going when I get pregnant again in 2017, but will most likely cut down my days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->