Exercising while pregnant

JASMAK

Mom of three
Reaction score
Everyday I have been running/walking, well, except the last two weeks because I have been so busy, so basically I haven't gone since finding out I am pregnant. DH doesn't want me to run anymore, so I agreed to a very fast hard walk. I also usually lift weights at home (again, I have not done so the last couple weeks due to time contraints). I am going for my walk today, but do you think I should cut out the weights (they are light ones, just 8lbs)??? Does anyone else keep an exercise routine?

I don't have a regular exercise regime, but everything I've read suggests it is good practice to keep up with what your body is used to atleast during the 1st trimester.

As far as I know if you've been regularly excercising before getting pregnant it is fine to keep it up after getting pregnant. I agree with your dh and wouldn't do the running part, but speed walking and light weights should be fine.

Weight lifting is fine, especially if it is 8lb weights which is fairly light.

Yes, I have a routine although I was very tired in 1st tri.

Here is my routine - FYI I am into Olympic & power lifting so it is very scaled back - 40-60% of your regular weight is recommended. This usually takes me 30 min (the 5k walk is separate with my dog, that's 1hr) cause it is scaled back.

Day 1
Cardio- 5K walk
Weights-upper body
Pushups - 12 + 10 +8 + 6 (bodyweight only)
Bench press *incline* (no flat back!) 12 + 10 +8 + 6 (30lbs), I did 65lbs before
Chest press 12 + 10 +8 + 6 (25lb,30lb,35lb,40lb)
DB curls 12 + 10 +8 + 6 (25lb,30lb,35lb,40lb)

Day 2
Cardio- 5k walk
Weights- Lower body
Squats- 12 + 10 +8 + 6 (45 total), bodyweight only (I did 5x3 @ 120lbs before)
Good Mornings 12 + 10 (broom) +8 + 6 (45lbs bar) (I did all with 45lbs before)
Lunges 12 + 10 +8 + 6 (no weight)
Step ups 12 + 10 +8 + 6 (wearing 7.5kg backpack)
Calf raises 12 + 10 +8 + 6 (wearing 7.5kg backpack)

I walk the 5k everyday and do weights 4x per week (Day 1, Day2, off, Day1,Day2, off, off)

*Just remember to compensate for calories burned! I burn about 300-400 per day just in that but it needs to be replaced, never eat at a calorie deficit in pregnancy

I've heard that running/jogging is fine, especially during first trimester, provided you don't go too fast--stop and check your heart rate every so often and make sure it doesn't go above 140 per minute. That's what my doc said, anyway!

And weights are okay too--I was just warned off really heavy weights (the kind that make you grunt:), sit-ups/crunches, and leg lifts.

Hi hun,

I would say a scaled down version of your usual excercise regime would be fine. Especially if you were exercising before your pregnancy.

I am still up at 6am every morning to feed, change rug, turnout my horse. Muck stable out, brush floor, making haynets, emptying wheelbarrows (not overfilling them mind you). Feeling fine so far with this regime.

:hugs:

So, being new to this pregnancy thing, if you don't usually do much exercise is it ok to start swimming and walking? I used to do both regularly but due to work never had time in the last 3 months. Obviously as I am already overweight I don't want to pile on lots more during pregnancy so am looking for solutions.

if you were running before you can run after. Just don't lift weights to the point your doing the valsalva maneuver (holding your breath while exerting yourself)

So, being new to this pregnancy thing, if you don't usually do much exercise is it ok to start swimming and walking? I used to do both regularly but due to work never had time in the last 3 months. Obviously as I am already overweight I don't want to pile on lots more during pregnancy so am looking for solutions.

I was wondering the same thing. My next mw appointment is in a little over a week and I'm going to ask then. I was thinking of starting up aquafit again (I used to do it 3-4 times a week, but not recently).

I was going to the gym about 4 times a week beforeI got pregnant, but I stopped when I found out as I have ben feeling so crappy! Over the last couple of days I have started feeling a bit better, so might try some swimming and gentle exercise next week. Feeling really tired so don't want to do too much but maybe it's what I need to give me some more energy x

I was working out 3-5 days a week before getting pregnant but stopped sometime in the 1st trimester as I felt so bad. I've started up again with what I can handle and MW says it's ok as long as I'm not doing high impact aerobics and not more than I had been before getting pregnant. I just do what I feel up to (which even at this point is not a whole lot :(). There are certain exercises you shouldn't do while pregnant as you can overextend ligaments due to the extra relaxin. AFAIK these are mostly things like 45 degree leg presses (and not having legs and feet in the proper position) and stuff but ask a trainer if you do anything like that.

I do powerwalking and jogging with light hand weights. My OB said that I need to drop it down a level to where I can maintain a conversation while exercising. If your getting out of breath and struggling to talk your doing to much.
He said exercise at this stage is to maintain good health and not to focus on maintaining body shape and weight loss, so by dropping it down a level you will still maintain good health during your pregnancy.

Thanks ladies! Well, I went for my walk, and just ran up one hill (didn't even get out of breath, so I am sure it is fine), but boy is it sure hard to exercise when I feel like puking! LOL! I did it anyway though.

Thanks ladies! Well, I went for my walk, and just ran up one hill (didn't even get out of breath, so I am sure it is fine), but boy is it sure hard to exercise when I feel like puking! LOL! I did it anyway though.

Thats great hun, don't over do it and don't get out of breath. It is hard to exercise when you have MS, I find exercising in the morning works for me ( I went at 6am this morning) as I have more like afternoon/ evening sickness and I also find exercising in the mornings helps me stay regular (if ya know what I mean)

I was wondering the same thing. My next mw appointment is in a little over a week and I'm going to ask then. I was thinking of starting up aquafit again (I used to do it 3-4 times a week, but not recently).

Hi!

During my last pregnancy I was overweight and took part in research study about the effects on pregnancy. They encouraged light excersise and ran an aquafit class. We were encouraged to go so swiming and walking are both fine just dont over do it!
As for aquafit go to a pregnancy class as its specifically designed for pregnant hips etc....

Emma.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"