Exhaustion Question for Mamas

sweetysangel8

Reaction score
I have a curiosity type question for those that have already been pregnant and have a baby. Were you more exhausted during 1st trimester, 3rd trimester or when you had a newborn to take care of?

I was definitely more prone to falling asleep anywhere during 1st tri with DS, I would sit for a minute and fall asleep on the sofa and sleep for hours. With a newborn I kind of go on autopilot for getting sleep, it's exhausting but I never found myself unable to stay awake to take care of DS, too much going through my mind of when does he need x y and z so falling asleep was forced during his naps. You find a way of coping on cat naps ;)

Wss^^

I'd fall asleep anywhere 1st trimester!! Most nights I'd get home from work and fall asleep on the couch still in my work clothes!

I just realized I wanted to put third trimester instead of second trimester! Oops. Edited.

Either way I thought having to take care of a baby would be more exhausting than 1st trimester so that's a surprise to me.

Yes, first tri was horrible for me. Having a newborn is a different type of exhaustion and I was able to function through it.

Definately 3rd tri for me. Having a NB can be exhausting but I still managed to find time to sleep. The first 3 days are the hardest.

I was able to sleep when baby sleeps because we coslept. So I'd say I didn't get too tired with a newborn. I know that isn't always possible for everyone though. I'm not sure what I'll be able to do with a toddler and a newborn when the time comes...

1st trimester was the most exhausting for pregnancy. Now that I'm on my second pregnancy with a toddler it's even more exhausting cause I can't nap whenever this time lol! When the baby is here you go through stages of exhaustion and every baby is different. My son was a great sleeper as a newborn but after 4 months old not so much and still isnt. You learn to just adjust through it all...I haven't really slept in like 2 years haha but it's all worth it.

I would say that 1st tri and having a new baby are both absolutely exhausting, but they are a different kind of exhausting and usually you're in very different places in life when you are going through them. I found that 1st tri was exhausting in the sense that I wanted to go to sleep by about 7pm every night, found it hard to function at work during the day, my productivity and just quality of my work was down. I didn't have energy for things I normally would have done. It was a physical sort of exhaustion, like the kind where you just need a nap.

2nd tri and 3rd tri were easy. I felt great and had loads of energy.

But having a new baby is a totally different, more all consuming kind of energy. It's mental and emotional rather than just physical. It's like just being overwhelmed with exhaustion and never being able to sit down or finish a meal or do more than doze off for an hour at a time. It's just different. I wasn't working obviously then, so it wasn't like I had to function at work or use my brain (thankfully). But it was more just the kind of exhaustion where you just want to cry because you're so tired, not like the kind where you just need a nap, if that makes sense. If I had to choose one to never have to go through again though, it would be the newborn stage. At least when you're pregnant, it's only one of you who is tired and the other one can keep life moving along and functioning. When you're both up all night with a baby and trying to adjust to all the changes that come along with being new parents, it's different. It all falls apart a lot faster, I think!

At least when you're pregnant, it's only one of you who is tired and the other one can keep life moving along and functioning. When you're both up all night with a baby and trying to adjust to all the changes that come along with being new parents, it's different. It all falls apart a lot faster, I think!

DH and I need to come up with a plan because when we both get tired, boy are we crabby and at each others throats. I plan on BF and I'll only be able to take between 6-8 weeks maternity leave so I'll have to figure out when I should start pumping for a supply. I'm a bit concerned since I'll be BF that I'll be the only one getting up with baby in the middle of the night.

I plan on getting the house as organized as I can, stocking up household items and making lots of freezer meals. I don't anticipate getting much help from anyone, so it will be just DH and I. DH works from home as a programmer so that is mentally draining enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->