experienced Moms, did you have a bottle warmer and would you recommend

monte3375

Reaction score
Trying to decide if we are going to use one this time around. Also, I am using Tommee Tippee and wondering which bottle warmer would work for the wide bottles.

I didn't use one. We used an unrecommended method (which incidentally was the recommended method a few years back). We would sterilise the bottles and put 1/2 the amount of water we would need into it boiling hot. After allowing it to cool down we'd then seal and refrigerate the bottle so that we'd only need to top it up with boiling water and formula when baby needed a feed - it would always come out the perfect temperature and only takes a fraction of the time to make.
Like I said earlier, this isn't the recommended method anymore but this worked for us and we'll be doing it again for our new baby if it needs formula.

I used a bottle warmer for heating up my expressed breastmilk with my DD and intend to do so again with this baby. I used Avent though (bottles and warmer), I am not sure that warmer is big enough for the Tomee Tippee bottles, though, not sure. :shrug:

Hey, I've got the tommee tippee bottle warmer and wouldn't be without it!!! Didn't get it straight away as I was planning to breast feed, but heating bottles was soooo much easier when we had it! & of course, tommee tippee bottles obviously fit in it! Xxx

I had a bottle warmer for my 1st son, this was like nearly 9 years ago now and so bottle making "Rules" have changed... But i found it was fab especially night feeds, as i would take a bottle up with me to bed in cold water, and then when he woke put it in warmer...

With my 2nd son, you had to make each bottle up as and when you needed it. So it was pointless having a warmer as i needed to cool the bottle down 9 times out of 10 rather than warm it up

This time round im certain to give breatfeeding a good go! lol... especially if it cuts out the messy night feeds, the amount of times ive burnt myself making bottles at like 3 4am in the morning is rediculus lol

Some friends of ours keep their crockpot full of water on days they'll need to use bottles (like when she's at work and he's home with the kiddos) - that way there's always hot water, and he just tosses a bag of breastmilk in to the water for a while to warm it up. Besides, in the winter it lets a little extra humidity in to the air, which is always nice. ;-)

Caroline, I read reviews the bottle warmer tommee tippee boils fast and doesnt have auto shutoff...do you find it a probem?

Some friends of ours keep their crockpot full of water on days they'll need to use bottles (like when she's at work and he's home with the kiddos) - that way there's always hot water, and he just tosses a bag of breastmilk in to the water for a while to warm it up. Besides, in the winter it lets a little extra humidity in to the air, which is always nice. ;-)
fionar that is really a great idea! I am going to have to remember that one. We have a small crock pot that would probably work great for that.

With my first I just ran really hot water into a cup and put the frozen breast milk in that, but I nursed when I was home and I was really only defrosting to make up bottles for daycare. So it didn't have to be quick or the exact right temperature immediately.

I found t pointless for warming bottles but at night we would keep the water in it so it was the right temp and then just add the powder when she woke.x

I want to find an alternative to the tommee tippee bottle warmer as I had one with DS and it worked a dream for a few months but then the thermostat on it went funny. It'd boil far too fast, it stopped shutting off when it got too hot and ended up spilling boiling water over the worktop because it bubbled over. Awful.

Caroline, I read reviews the bottle warmer tommee tippee boils fast and doesnt have auto shutoff...do you find it a probem?

Hey Hun, I can't say I've ever had any problem with it!!! Works fine for me :shrug:

I want to find an alternative to the tommee tippee bottle warmer as I had one with DS and it worked a dream for a few months but then the thermostat on it went funny. It'd boil far too fast, it stopped shutting off when it got too hot and ended up spilling boiling water over the worktop because it bubbled over. Awful.

I've never had this problem thankfully. We've been using it for maybe 18 months (cant get ds to drink his milk from anything else so still has 1 bottle a day) and its still working fine...

I used one with my daughter, but when she got a bit older I started microwaving them for 30 seconds and found that the handiest way, so I think I'll probably just go straight to that this time, using cooled, boiled water from a jug in the fridge. As someone else said, it's not the recommended way, but it works for us and I'm happy with it. Still have the bottle warmer, so can always use it depending on how things go.

I have an Avent one, and one thing I'd say is that with me using it upstairs beside the bed, the odd time I would forget to switch it off out of pure exhaustion and that really worried me!

We have a medela pump and bottles, and there was a good offer on the medela warmer so I got that.

I liked that you tell it the size of the bottle and if it's chilled or frozzen, and that it has a cut off.

Should hopefully be ideal for when I leave baby with DH or my Mum as then they can just heat expressed milk easily straight out the fridge or freezer.

I have a bottle warmer for my LO and I hate it. It either makes the bottle too cold or too hot and we have to wait for it to cool off. And now, my LO will not take anything but warm bottles, he's even iffy about room temperature which makes it hard when we go out and refuses to eat. Next time, I think I will skip the warmer and just use the faucet to take the chill away if we use formula.

Our bottle warmer sucked :blush: i hated that thing. it took forrevverrr to get the water heated. Finally got smart and used canning jars with a little bit of water. Put it in the microwave on high for 1 minute (not longer than that though bc it could crack), and the once it was done, pulled it out of the microwave and placed the bottle in the jar. Worked great. And usually came out at the perfect temp.

Hi, I had a bottle warmer for my first and I found by the time it was ready she was beyond annoyed at not being fed quick.enough lol. This time if I'm unable to.breastfeed I will be doing room temp bottles through night or as another poster said putting most of water in then adding some boiling water when needed. When she's older I will microwave th bottles just to take chill off. X

Hi, I had a bottle warmer for my first and I found by the time it was ready she was beyond annoyed at not being fed quick.enough lol. This time if I'm unable to.breastfeed I will be doing room temp bottles through night or as another poster said putting most of water in then adding some boiling water when needed. When she's older I will microwave th bottles just to take chill off. X

Also w our first son we used warm tap water worked fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->