Experiment: Going without gluten UPDATE: Back on the diet plus No Lactose

calm

Reaction score
Well, my chronic sinusitis has been really bad lately, and I'm sooo sick of it. So, I was reading on the internet how so many people had their sinusitis improve after taking out gluten from their diet. So, I am so desperate I will give anything a go. Today is my second day. I am also avoiding dairy products as they produce mucus (but not being so strict with this issue as with the gluten).

Yesterday I didn't have much to eat, and felt a bit sicky and weak this morning. My mum has come to stay, so she made a huge Spanish omelet with eggs from my parent's chickens, so I was glad for something wholesome and with no gluten. Later on I ventured to the supermarket and got some nice gluten free products: some plum cake, some cookies, some cupcakes, yum! I also discovered that flakes and crunchies don't have gluten in them after reading the info on the cadbury's website, so I had them too, plus some crisps that said gluten free. So I feel a bit better today, as this morning with my low blood pressure, low sugar, and the fact I am losing weight, the heat, and all of the symptoms of my sinusitis made me feel like I could hardly stand up and that I was wasting away!

So, this is my experiment: Can some time without gluten improve my horrid sinusitis? One man said on the internet that it took 2 days to improve his symptoms, other people talk about months... * gulp * If I thought for a minute that I would really benefit from it, I would stick it out for months as I do have quite good willpower when it comes to these things, however, you just never now...

So I will update with any improvements, of if I feel just the same and decide to bin the idea

Hope you feel better soon hun, let us know if there are any improvements xxx

Well, I was on my gluten free diet for 1 week, and then I caved in, and stopped the diet. The next day I did have a bad stomach, coincidence? Hummmm Well, I am doing 1 more week, possibly starting in the next few days, and if my tummy is bad again, then I know it does effect me in some way.

The doctor has run some blood tests to see if I am a celiac, which means I wouldn't be able to eat gluten. I didn't know this, but it happens that many people with a b12 deficiency are celiac, so I might know without the need of diets. However, a lot of people that are not celiac still improve and feel better without gluten, so I will probably do the diet anyway. Lets see, take care all XXX

My SIL is gluten intolerant, but doesn't have Celiac. I've some websites with recipes for Gluten Free cooking, if you want?

Yes please :D Some recipes would be good as last week I eat really boring things as everything exciting seems to have gluten in it. X

She has a hard time with that as well! The best one I found was Gluten Free Girl. I know that my SIL will sub out Granola/Oats in recipes and use Quiona in its place.

Gluten Free Girl has her recipes all arranged by baked goods, breakfast, dinners, desserts... etc.... Its fab!

Thanks, I am going to check it out now X

I have yet to try out Quiona, oh dear, its so complicated. I don't know what is better, to be glutten intolerant and celiac and to solve many health problems with a gluten free diet, or not have this problem and stuff my face with cookies and sarnies haha XXX

PS A great substitute for normal pasta is pasta made with rice, it taste good.

Stalking this experiment now! Pasta made from rice? Like 'rice noodles' in Asian cuisine? Hmm... Are they sold in the gluten-free section? I'd like to try them!

Its certainly gluten free, they bang on about how its so certain that no gluten has come in a 100 yards of the pasta, here's a pic

https://www.celiacos.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Macarrones-Arroz-Gallo-210x300.jpg

Mmmm... The grocery store I'm going to later has a huge gluten-free section... and I'd really like to try those! I'm not really trying to go gluten-free... but it sounds really yummy! I love rice! LOL

Today I have started again the no-gluten diet. My stomach has been off ever since I went off the diet, so lets see. I will go on the diet until next thursday, and then possibly have some gluten food and see what happens.

Here is a musical video with no gluten in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1pEDS0VJJc

That's a very pretty gluten-free video! :) Good luck on your stomach settling down on leg #2 of you diet! :hugs:

Gah! I have had gluten, and will be having it tomorrow, so its all put off until Sunday. Gah!

:hugs: I looked up some info and its really hard to avoid! I give you credit for being able to do it any day!

It is poo Megg, as so many things have hidden gluten in them! I have been more or less gluten free since Saturday (I had some gluten Saturday morning), so nearly 3 days, and will probably continue until Thursday, when I will eat some gluten packed food and see what happens. :D

Well I was having these weird headaches (I wrote doctors before, crossed ideas I suppose), so I went to the doctor just now, she says its muscular tension.... I don't know, she knows more than me I suppose. The thing is, she told me that the texts with gluten are negative. So I could still just be gluten intolerant, I will probably be eating some gluten tomorrow and see what happens (My guess is that nothing will happen).

I've had gluten today. Not a lot, some biscuits, and what not. My stomach hasn't reacted, my sinusitis has been just as bad.

The next experiment I would like to do is to only eat natural food. However, you will have to wait another day for that chapter. Experiment concluded. XXX

Sorry it didn't help! Good luck with natural food! That's almost as difficult as gluten-free food! :hugs:

I am back on the diet. but with a twist, I am now not eating lactose either. This monday it will be 3 weeks, I want to do it for 2 months. I will update with more details.

Why am I doing it?

- To see if it improves my choronic sinusitis

- To see if my skin improves

- To see if my acid reflux improves

- To see if I have more energy, more wellbeing

- To see if it improves my anxiety

I only went without gluten a week before so lets see this time. XXX

Well next monday it will be 6 weeks without gluten and lactose. My sinusitis has been better, my skin is probably better, and my acid reflux is better.

HOWEVER, I have a bad tummy today. I am still suffering a lot with bloat. I think I overuse the gluten substitutes. I am going to have to change the diet again, still keeping of gluten and lactose, but try to have less substitutes, more fresh veg and fruit (I am having some., but I suppose not enough), and a lot more water. I want to get the bloat down. I am quite thin now, but have far too much weight on stomach plus bloating, it cant be healthy! My bmi is fine, but only because my bmi doesn't know that my legs and arms are like sticks and my belly is too big! At least my sinusitis has not been so bad. So on i continue with my diet, take care all XXX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->