Expressed milk looks like it has separated?!?!?

Snowleopard79

Reaction score
I am new to expressing milk, I expressed 2oz yesterday and 2oz today and was hoping to use tonight. I have just noticed it looks a bit like the milk has sepearated, they have both been has been stored in seperate sterilised bottles in fridge at 4 degrees, I had used Milton tablets to sterilise.

Is this normal do I need to just shake it up or have I done something wrong???

Its normal, as expressed milk isn't pasteurized/homogenized, etc, which is what keeps store bought milk from separating.

Don't shake it, that breaks down the nutrients. Place the bottle in a cup of hot water to warm it back up, then gently swirl it to remix it.

It's normal I think the more fatty bit floats?! Mine did it anyway.

It's normal but don't shake it, just swirl it around and it will mix together

Totally normal, the top layer is rich and creamy looking and the bottom is watery :)
Don't shake it, when you want to use it just swirl the bottle round and it will combine again. Although some of the creamy stuff might stick to the side if it's been a couple of days. Totally normal. I found kellymom.com wonderful for all things milk/boob related :)

Thanks ladies, I was panicking I had done something wrong!!! I love this forum :)

Why can't you shake it? I store mine in breastmilk bags and tend to tip the bag slowly upside down and then upright again and it mixes back together. Is this classed as shaking it?

Its normal, as expressed milk isn't pasteurized/homogenized, etc, which is what keeps store bought milk from separating.

Don't shake it, that breaks down the nutrients. Place the bottle in a cup of hot water to warm it back up, then gently swirl it to remix it.

^what she said :) I think as long as you are doing it slowly you should be alright

turning slowly is fine thats what i did, shaking it is not good for EBM or formula because it adds air to the milk which makes for a very gassy unhappy baby!

Totally normal! You're not supposed to shake breastmilk (here's an explanation why not: https://www.bflrc.com/ljs/breastfeeding/shakenot.htm), rather slowly move it around in a circular motion and it will look 'normal' again. :)

To the OP, here's a link from Kelly Mom that's quite useful info. all about pumping: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/what-to-expect-when-pumping/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->