Expressing Colustrum Question

Lottie86

Mummy to Findlay & Iona
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could have a bit of advice in advance please.

When Kermit arrives I will be FF due to medical reasons but as my boobs seem to be quite leaky I have started wondering about the idea of maybe expressing for the first few days or so so that he gets the colustrum.

Can you express straight from birth with a pump or do you have to do it by hand? Would this be a good idea to get some extra antibodies into him?

My 4th was in scbu and I was leant an electric pump and did express straight away, I was surprised at how little I got though, I dont think the pump gets as much out as the baby does, but by hand I got nearly nothing (not the same for everyone I know) Perhaps you will need to try both ways to see what works for you.

They dont usually recommend expressing from birth as it's not good for getting your supply regulated. However, if you're not going to be BFing that's nto really an issue so I'd be tempted to give it a go. Why dont you look into hiring a pump for the first month maybe? I'd say it's a great idea - BFing just once is beneficial so if you can get some colostrum down baby then thats great :D

I found hand expressing colostrum one of the hardest things ever, I really needed help with it.

I found it easy to express colostrum by hand (Jack wouldn't latch in first few days), after a few attempts to get the hang of it. You need quite a firm hand and to start at the edge of the areola and squeeze down towards the nipple. The MWs in hospital did say I had a good supply of colostrum though, not everyone finds it easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->