expressing from day 1?

Catherine896

Reaction score
Looking for some advice for expressing. I tried bf my son but I was in absolute agony, midwifes said I was doing it fine and that he was latched on properly etc so not sure why. I gave up after 3 days of severe pain and alot of tears and he had formula. He is fine, very healthy and I dont regret that decision.

This time round I want to express the first 3 days, then go to formula, although if expressing is OK I may well carry on with that.

Is it possible to express with a pump straight away? Ive read a few things that as its colustrum the first 3 or so days it is difficult to get out with a pump. Has anybody expressed from day 1 and been fine/had problems?

Thanks alot xx

I didn't start pumping until day 3 after I got home from the hospital but didn't really get any colostrum (it's pretty near impossible to pump out). If you want your baby to get the colostrum for the first few days I would just bf because otherwise you aren't likely to be able to express enough and will have to use formula right from day 1. You might have better luck hand expressing rather than using a pump, but you still probably won't be able to get enough to not have to use formula without putting your lo to the breast. Good luck.

You can hand express colostrum!! Some comes out with the pump as well. It may not be enough for baby, but you could always get donor milk until yours comes in if that is an option.

Hi,

I hand expressed colostrum for the week before lo was born and for the first couple of days after. I also put him to the breast though. The reason for expressing before he was born was because my waters broke at 34 weeks and I knew he would be early and in need of top ups due to low blood sugar levels and increased risk of jaundice etc...

I hand expressed and sucked the little bits up with a syringe. I just kept filling little 1 and 2 ml syringes at first. Sometimes took 45 mins to get a ml or so but the more regularly I did it, the quicker it became... I started using an electric pump on about day 2 I think and by day 3 my milk was in, and pumping became alot more satisfying with much bigger amounts...

Good luck.

x

I used a syringe to hand express literally a couple of ml. From then I had to pump day 2 as my boy was too small and weak (36 weeks and jaundice)

All I could REALLY recommend is a double pump ! I find the medela swing good however its too time consuming so defo go for double electric if you can afford.

Good luck x

Yikes, 45minutes for a ml?! Ill see how I get on lol, thanks!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->