Expressing to breastfeeding, oversupply, engorgement, HELP!

callmedan

Reaction score
My baby girl is 10 days today, when she was born (EMCS) she latched straight on and breast fed for 30 mins straight, that was the longest we've had so far!
We were in hospital for 4 days and during this time she latched on only twice more, I cup fed her formula twice and expressed milk the rest of the time
For the first few days at home I was exclusively expressing but been trying hard to get her back on the breast, I can get her to latch on but she only sucks 3/4 times before coming off so I have done this for about 10/15 minutes before each expressed bottle feed as then she gets too upset and won't latch on at all as she isn't getting enough milk

We are getting more and more latching on with each feed and I feel like if we persevere we will get there eventually!

My problem is I've been expressing way more than she is drinking and stashing it in the freezer, and my breasts get engorged really easily so it's harder to feed her

Should I stop expressing as much? Or carry on and feed her then express what is left? As she isn't breastfeeding properly yet she can't empty my breast properly

Sorry if this is a bit rambley I'm just a bit stuck on what to do!
Thanks

I guess it depends if you want to keep getting more to stash. If you slowly stop expressing as much, the supply should start going down. I do it slowly though to hopefully prevent clogged ducts and mastitis. GL! :)

Could you SE until you have a letdown then put her on the breast?

You could always pump until you are comfortable then put her on right after.

ETA congrats on your baby :)

It depends if you are trying to build up a little stash, my MW told me you need to atleast pump every time she feeds to try to establish a supply.. I was doing this at the start with DD we then went to a nipple shield and now straight to the breast without an issue, so persevere and you will get there! As PP said if you're to engorged to get her on you can always pump some milk away and then try, hopefully the engorgement will ease for you. You're doing well mumma xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->