Extended Breastfeeding

Wet nursing should come back! Not that I think every baby should be wet nursed if mum cant breastfeed, but it would help a lot of mums I think. I am not against formula as some might think... I used it, and use it, and only formula fed my son. I just think where its used so much and advertised so much that it causes some mums to feel if they are struggling or are uncomfortable with nursing their child, it is the only alternative and it isn't.

So if you have used formula, why ask such a question then???? Why ask me and not yourself? I have no issues of guilt or struggle with bf and then using formula, as i never even tried to bf

I ask because my reasons for using formula were choice due to lack of information and education on the subject of breastfeeding and I personally wasn't thinking of my son's best interests. My reasons aren't the same as most... I also didn't use formula with my daughter until she began to wean past 12 months as cows milk constipated her.

Wet nursing should come back! Not that I think every baby should be wet nursed if mum cant breastfeed, but it would help a lot of mums I think. I am not against formula as some might think... I used it, and use it, and only formula fed my son. I just think where its used so much and advertised so much that it causes some mums to feel if they are struggling or are uncomfortable with nursing their child, it is the only alternative and it isn't.

there's an informal alternative to wet nursing via Human Milk 4 Human Babies. They link donors to recepients. So in a way its like wet nursing, just not directly iykwim?

I am very glad for HM4HB :) We need lots more of it going on around us!

i guess some people could find it odd because as a society we're all quite private so we like to keep our bits and bobs to ourselves, never mind seeing anybody elses.

it is ridiculous but that's just how it is. :shrug: which is a shame.

My son self weaned at just shy of 15months. Prior to then I didn't offer any other milk and infact didn't offer any until 3 weeks after he weaned as I wanted him to breastfeed if he wanted milk. BF direct from the breast, for me expressing was uncomfortable and difficult and took a long time - it was either direct BF or cows milk from a cup... After 3 weeks he was offered cows milk.

Was it true self weaning....? That's the big question! I rarely offered BF but never refused, some class this "technique" as parent led weaning; I never classed it as anything except responding to him. I encouraged full long feeds from early on rather than lots of mini feeds. I never really seemed to have an older baby that comfort sucked.

I had hoped to make 2-2.5years although the thought of breastfeeding him now is actually a little odd to me.

Lots of my friends are extended/fullterm breastfeeders. I have no issues with how long anybody chooses to feed, I do have issues with how a couple choose to feed. Most toddlers/kids over 2 seem to have a few feeds a day and feed quickly & properly. 1 mother I know feeds almost constantly her DD is in the sling nursing/napping for several hours and keeps her up lots of the night constantly feeding. She is 3.5. I feel that perhaps boundraries and limits should be set but I don't think she need to stop completely. Another mum has a 1yr old she allows to pull on and off, twiddle her nipple, scratch, pull etc - she just giggles about it but I think breastfeedingmanners are important.

I feed amelie through a nap sometimes :shrug:

Oh yeah me too when DD1 was still BFing, she would feed any time, as frequently as she wanted. I don't understand why she "should" feed at specific times.

I would find it hard to say "well, although you have been feeding on demand, now you have to start feeding on schedule". I don't understand that bit.

Her solid intake was not compromised, she was in perfect health, perhaps moreso as she was BFing as and when she wanted. She is a secure confident girl.

Why does BFing on demand equate to not having boundaries?

See I don't get doing that in toddlers - does Amelie actually sleep properly when you do that? This girl doesn't seem to nap well if the boob moves she's struggles/cries/eyes open etc even when she's quiet eyes shut nursing she still fiddles with the sling straps sometimes and doesn't seem to nap well. Nursing to sleep I understand but the nursing/napping for like 2 hours seems hardwork and ineffective :shrug: I guess she might be better at home rather than out & about. I'd probably also understand more if I had a toddler that napped!

See I don't get doing that in toddlers - does Amelie actually sleep properly when you do that? This girl doesn't seem to nap well if the boob moves she's struggles/cries/eyes open etc even when she's quiet eyes shut nursing she still fiddles with the sling straps sometimes and doesn't seem to nap well. Nursing to sleep I understand but the nursing/napping for like 2 hours seems hardwork and ineffective :shrug: I guess she might be better at home rather than out & about. I'd probably also understand more if I had a toddler that napped!

yes, she proper naps. she usually delatches herself cos shes not sucking but if she stirs she auto tries to latch on again, haha. If im watching tv or a film i just hold her instead of putting her down. Not for 2 hours though, 1 hour tops and naps are few and far between these days :(

Oh yeah me too when DD1 was still BFing, she would feed any time, as frequently as she wanted. I don't understand why she "should" feed at specific times.

I would find it hard to say "well, although you have been feeding on demand, now you have to start feeding on schedule". I don't understand that bit.

Her solid intake was not compromised, she was in perfect health, perhaps moreso as she was BFing as and when she wanted. She is a secure confident girl.

I'm not saying they should be fed at set times or on a schedule - I believe in demand feeding as long as possible. I do think once they reach a certain level of understanding they can be asked to wait but requests should be acknowledged.

yes, she proper naps. she usually delatches herself cos shes not sucking but if she stirs she auto tries to latch on again, haha. If im watching tv or a film i just hold her instead of putting her down. Not for 2 hours though, 1 hour tops and naps are few and far between these days :(

see if she proper drops off and naps and if you wanted you could put her down then it still seems effective to me & quite a different situation.

I'm not saying they should be fed at set times or on a schedule - I believe in demand feeding as long as possible. I do think once they reach a certain level of understanding they can be asked to wait but requests should be acknowledged.

Yeah I see what you are saying, and obviously as they grow older, they can be more patient if you are caught doing something else. I think for me I want the nursing relationship rules to remain the same. Like my LO tweaks my nipples, pulls of pulls on, I would find it hard to tell her that she couldn't do it anymore, just because she is a certain age. I find that she may feel that is unfair or inconsistent.

I do find it annoying when she pulls of and pulls on, and I am so tired as she has never STTN and probably won't till she is well over 2, but again for me, I just sacrifice my feelings as the BFing is more important to me.

And with the pulling off pulling on, to me its just like when my 4 year old comes for a cuddle. She will come briefly, and disappear again. I think the pulling on and off is the same really, she will come for a short suck and go back to what she is doing. Thats just my take though. x

I breastfed for only a short amount of time, but I do have one question out of curiosity for the BF mommas. Say there is a child who is exclusively breastfed from the time of birth. She is now 3 years old. If she has been used to breasfeeding her entire life, (being that it is a normal part of her every day routine) wouldn't it be a bit hard for her to stop? If she didn't want to stop & she is now 10years old & still wants to breastfeed for years to come, what would happen? xx

They lose their ability to latch on eventually, I am not quite sure when but it's usually a good bit before 10! I think generally self weaning is considered the gentlest way for a child to stop, the average age worldwide is 4 I think.

Ah okay! Thank you ... I definitely want to try harder at breastfeeding when I have my next child. I definitely wish I could have given it more of a shot with Brenna. She just wasn't latching on correctly & it was becoming so frustrating for her & I; plus with all my complications it just made me throw in the towel even sooner :nope:

Yeah, mine wouldn't latch at all, I'm counting on no2 being a pro! :)

Off topic slightly but for you ladies that had problems latching and want to try with next baby, google 'breast crawl'. Seriously amazing!!!

I had to pump exclusively for medical reasons, I have no clue why anyone would choose to suddenly start using a pump and bottle, it was such a pain in the ass, I always get a bit jealous seeing women able to just pull out their breast and feed, why would anyone want to do it any other way? Okay, I know some do, but IMO the last thing I want to do is make more work for myself :rofl:

I plan on feeding mikey for as long as he likes my boobs are on loan to him for as long as he wants, i think women that breastfeed for two years plus are amazing, to continue doing whats right when facing so much negativity is wonderful and i hope mikey continues to feed for many months to come.

I dont get what the big deal is if you are uncomfortable with it, why does it affect anyone else other than the mother and child involved, its unlikey you willl see a toddler bfing and if you do, you dont have to look.
I dont really see why someone who is not breastfeeding a toddler would need to have any opinon on the subject.

I get being uncomfortable with things... including breastfeeding, but what really pisses me off is when someone will actually say something to a mom for breastfeeding, or breastfeeding into toddler/childhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->