Extended Breastfeeding

Because I think a child of 3-4 doesnt need to be attached to the breast. :dohh: how many times do I have to say that? Even if someone hasnt seen it the thought may still be uncomfortable. Thats their feelings, and mine.

I guess some of us are just trying to understand why you feel uncomfortable with a 3/4 year old still breastfeeding Laura. Maybe if you would explain in further detail your reasoning behind it people would understand a little better.

I can't get my head around how 1 or 2 feeds a day (which let's face it, is the reality here) is the same as being attached to the breast. BF a 3 year old (or 12 month plus in actual fact) is very different from BF a newborn who may feed 8-12 times a day.

Because a child can feed themselves at that age so can be fed using a cup or a beaker, doesnt need to be attached to the breast.. Which I have already said in my previous post.

Personally I dont think I or anyone else who feels uncomfortable is ':wacko:' But then you have your own opinions lol

The problem with cup drinking is that it means if you want to continue with breastmilk you need to express. Many women, including the most successful BFers, just do not succeed with expressing. For many people, if you want your child to have BM then you just have to BF. There is no other option.

but that doesn't make sense as a reason why they shouldn't.

I think your a bit confused. I havent said they shouldnt, I said it makes me uncomfortable. Theres other things that make me uncomfortable but I wouldnt say they shouldnt do it. I just wouldnt do it myself. How many more times???

The answer is simple enough really. People feel uncomfortable with it because of the idea that breasts are for sexual enjoyment. I think for alot of people it is difficult to reconcile the two uses and because the sexualization of breasts is everywhere, on TV, magazines, I mean just everywhere, as opposed to breastfeeding, which no one ever sees on the same media.

I HATE the idea that because your child is old enough to drink from a cup then he should have the drink from another container. That idea is perpetuated by several irresponsible parenting magazines which come up with ludicrous statements like "well if your LO is old enough to open the fridge and get a snack (or walk and talk) then he is too old for the breast." Thats the kind of narrow-minded nonsense that gets published and disseminated to the masses and thats why we have people feeling uncomfortable at the thought of breasts being used as nature intended them.

PS Laura, not directing this at you at all, its just a general commentary on the attitude towards extended BFing.

Parenting mags just come out with the usual dribble

I have never BF which is why i don't see the need for a child to be extended breast fed

Don't take this the wrong way, but what on earth would you have done if formula wasn't an option?
This is just a question out of curiosity, and if you do not wish to answer, I am perfectly okay with that.

If formula wasn't an option then I don't think I would be here. Breastfeeding for me became a living hell, I struggled and then I developed PND. So I think I would have just continues to spiral in depression. Also years ago women got friends/family to feed their babies. So there was always an option, I do find it kind of upsetting when peoplke ask me that question. It sort of makes if seem like I took the easy way out ( I know thats not how you meant it though hun :D ) x

Don't take this the wrong way, but what on earth would you have done if formula wasn't an option?
This is just a question out of curiosity, and if you do not wish to answer, I am perfectly okay with that.

In bygone years when formula didn't exist... I had to have an emergency c-section otherwise LO and myself would have died, so what my LO would have needed to eat afterwards is a mute point

Then i guess we would of breastfed if we was able to, i haven't bothered to drain google with "alternatives to breastfeeding/problems/ 100 or so years ago"

Why is it such an issue that people aren't allowed to say how they feel? If someone finds it uncomfortable, then so be it, for one i DO find the thought of an 8 year old being breastfed as weird, but thats MY opinion. Alot more would be said if an 8 year old was seen with a bottle and a dummy.

I think if people couldn't BF a long time ago they had a wet nurse??? I ws just old by my FIL to quit because LO is a year now...and there is no nutritional value. Lucky for me, I am much smarter than that...and I will continue until 2 years...unless she chomps a nipple off, which she has almost done several times. lol

yeah, and if they couldnt afford a wet nurse or didn't have a family member who would feed their baby they gave their LOs sugar water and other ridiculous things. Obviously a lot of babies died. Formula is great when the mother can't BF, I don't see what that has to do with extended BF anyway :shrug:

Then i guess we would of breastfed if we was able to, i haven't bothered to drain google with "alternatives to breastfeeding/problems/ 100 or so years ago"

Why is it such an issue that people aren't allowed to say how they feel? If someone finds it uncomfortable, then so be it, for one i DO find the thought of an 8 year old being breastfed as weird, but thats MY opinion. Alot more would be said if an 8 year old was seen with a bottle and a dummy.

I'm sure most people feel that way, but we're mainly talking of 2-3 year olds, not 8.

Wet nursing should come back! Not that I think every baby should be wet nursed if mum cant breastfeed, but it would help a lot of mums I think. I am not against formula as some might think... I used it, and use it, and only formula fed my son. I just think where its used so much and advertised so much that it causes some mums to feel if they are struggling or are uncomfortable with nursing their child, it is the only alternative and it isn't.

Wet nursing should come back! Not that I think every baby should be wet nursed if mum cant breastfeed, but it would help a lot of mums I think. I am not against formula as some might think... I used it, and use it, and only formula fed my son. I just think where its used so much and advertised so much that it causes some mums to feel if they are struggling or are uncomfortable with nursing their child, it is the only alternative and it isn't.

So if you have used formula, why ask such a question then???? Why ask me and not yourself? I have no issues of guilt or struggle with bf and then using formula, as i never even tried to bf

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->