Extended Breastfeeding

The dictionary definition of "silly" is in reference to someone that lacks wisdom/knowledge. I think it is safe to say that a person who pokes fun of/criticizes an extended BFer falls comfortably within that definition.

I have some time on my hands and decided just to say, plus News and Debates is slow today. x

Well I have never met anyone who pokes fun at breastfeeding. Just people who are uncomfortable with a 3-4 year old still being breastfed. Nothing wrong with that.

I dunno why you're uncomfortable with it.. Have you ever seen a 3 or 4 year old breastfeed? Its not like it happens all over the place. I've not NIP since amelie was 18 months or so other than on the aeroplane coming back from holiday. I don't feed her 24/7, she gets BF at bedtime and if shes poorly. Its not you who is breastfeeding, you dont need to watch it, why are you uncomfortable with it? Very :wacko:

Just because someone feel uncomfortable doesnt mean its :wacko: and yes I have seen it on a bus believe it or not!!

I just feel that a child of that age doesnt need to be breastfed, there is plenty ways to give a 3-4 year old breastmilk.

But why shouldn't they, just because there isn't a need in your opinion? There isn't a need to give one's child junk food but plenty of people do and no one bats an eyelid.Why is a nutritious, comforting, drink/food from the intended source, the mothers breast, an uncomfortable thing? Would you be so uncomfortable if the milk came out of a hole in the mums arm or something? Are boobs the issue? I'm geuinely interested, as I know a lot of people, if not most people, I know in IRL feel similarly but just can't seem to give a coherent reason why. But there must be one?

Just because someone feel uncomfortable doesnt mean its :wacko: and yes I have seen it on a bus believe it or not!!

I just feel that a child of that age doesnt need to be breastfed, there is plenty ways to give a 3-4 year old breastmilk.

Well, you must have been very 'unlucky' to see am older toddler bf. I've never seen anyone over the age of 1 or so bf which I find very sad. I'm not :wacko: at your opinion that older toddler's shouldn't bf, just the claim that it makes you uncomfortable.

I don't think it's wrong feeling uncomfortable with it doesn't mean that person think its wrong they just feel uncomfortable. Just because it is beneficial etc doesn't mean someone can't feel uncomfortable x

In my opinion extended bf is anything over 2, although I bf Alfie until 16 months and I got the impression from a lot of family and friends that they classed extended bf as anything over 6 months.

When Alfie turned 12 months I had people poking fun at me making comments such as 'bitty'. My brother once said to me 'you're going to be like X who still bf her 2 year old and he can actually ask for it', shock horror he can ask for it! I don't see why people see that as such a bad thing?

Personally I don't care how long people bf their children for, I've never seen a child over 1 being bf in public tbh but even if I did I wouldn't give it a second thought. I couldn't imagine myself bf my daughter who's 4 now but if someone else does then thats their business and not something I think about really.

Forgot to add, I could never express more than an ounce or two at a time so that was never really an option for me, its not as easy as people think.

I also ff my daughter and bf my son and I don't have any lesser of a bond with my daughter. I used to love feeding Evie her bottles and I found that to be bonding time just as much as when I bf Alfie.

I know understand why you took offense to my post. I am very sorry you feel that way.

No nothing wrong with feeling uncomfortable. I personally wouldn't (as of right now thinking mind you) breastfeed past 3-4 but I think it's great if a mum and child does! Where I see problems is when people feel it's okay to be snarky to mums about it, make rude comments, or at the extreme end, consider it near abuse. I've heard it all... it's sad for sure. I also can't stand when people compare it to a bottle or formula, or cows milk... it is nothing like those things. We were designed to breastfeed until early childhood.. we weren't designed at all for a bottle, or for cows milk.

Nothing against cows milk here either, I love the stuff and so does my daughter... but those arguments are simply invalid when comparing it to breast milk.

Again, General Rant over.

I hope those saying that they can't pump when they try aren't saying so just because of my post:wacko: I was just trying to say that's what I would do personally, because pumping was never an issue for me (hell I was getting 2-3 oz in the hospital right after I had her, lol) So I hope no one took offense to what I was saying :flower:

No I wasn't taking offence I think a few people mentioned expressing. I've had a lot of people say it to me irl too. It just took a lot of effort for the amount I used to get, was always easier to stick him on the boob lol.

lol yeah there are a lot of people that have said that, it's just different for everyone!

I don't think it's wrong feeling uncomfortable with it doesn't mean that person think its wrong they just feel uncomfortable. Just because it is beneficial etc doesn't mean someone can't feel uncomfortable x

i didn't say it was wrong, just makes me confused.

Extended breastfeeding makes me uncomfortable as well. Wish I could explain better why but really can't, maybe just because it's not something I've been exposed to a whole lot? I would never criticize or expect anyone else to stop in front of me because of that. It's not for me (unless I change my mind down the road, which I suppose is possibility), but I have no problem with people who choose otherwise.

This :thumbup:

I never said that people shouldnt do it I said it makes me feel uncomfortable and there are other ways to feed a child milk. I feel uncomfortable when people kiss in public but I am not going to say stop doing that am I? Thats their business. But if I feel uncomfortable thats because its something I wouldnt do. So I dont think that its ':wacko:' to feel that!

but lets be honest, you hardly EVER see toddlers BF in public so really, its the idea of it that makes people uncomfortable which is not the same as seeing someone kiss in the street or a mum smack her LO in public for all to see. I do think its cos its breasts that people think its not the thing to do :shrug:

I do agree Blah. I cannot think of ever seeing a toddler or older child being BF in public. It isn't as if you see a BF toddler everytime you sit down in Costa. I stopped BF at 14 months was the last person among my ante-natal group still BFing by a long shot and also fed a lot longer than my pals. People always say to be that they 'don't know how I could be bothered' still feeding. I find that such an odd comment.

There are other ways of doing most aspects of parenting. We all choose what we want to do and follow that as long as it works for us. There are lots of parenting choices that make me feel slightly uncomfortable and that I most certainly wouldn't do but it is none of my business as long as the child is being cared for. Others being uncomfortable is never a reason in my book for something to be stopped.

I really don't see the need for a 3/4 year old to still be attached to the breast. i remember as a child when my next door neighbour was over at ours, and her son who was 4 at the time came running in, lifted his mums top up and pulled her bra down to have a suckle. I was embarrassed and i think my dad was mortified (my dad doesn't have anything against bf as mum bf us as babies)

But WHY? People have listed the behavioural, emotional and health benefits that continuing to breastfeed has for their children. Then on the other side of the coin there are people who "don't see the need for a 3/4 year old to still be attached to the breast" but haven't actually offered any reasons why. Sure, it's not absolutely necessary for their survival, but if it benefits them then what on earth is the problem? The only reason I've seen given so far is that in our sexualised culture it makes people feel uncomfortable, but I certainly don't think that is an important enough reason for people to base their parenting decisions on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->