Extension/renovations to home - should we move out?

supertabby

Reaction score
Looking for advice from those who've had major building works done with kids around please.

We've recently moved and the house has planning permission for an extension - the outer walls where the extension will be need rebuilding anyway due to severe cracks so we've decided to do the extension at the same time.

The extension will be out the back of our through living room (and then a partition wall will split it into two reception rooms with a door. The reception room at the back where the building is being extended will be knocked through into the kitchen to create a partly open plan kitchen-diner. We'll need to put in new kitchen units.

Even if the partition wall is put up before outer wall work done I imagine the dust will still get through into the other reception room?

Upstairs there is a spare bedroom directly above which will also be extended.

Our bathroom won't be affected but obviously kitchen will.

If we stay in the house we have a loft room we can use for a temporary living room and the stairs to the loft room are the furthest away from the building works as you can get.

The work has to be done this summer as planning permission runs out this year - however I'm on maternity leave and when work starts I'll have a 3 year old (who isn't potty trained yet but presumably will be ready soom) and approx 5 month old at home all day. We can get out and about but all day every day might be a strain. I wish we could delay a year so that we were all at work/nursery during the majority of it - I know we'd still have mess etc but wouldn't have to face it all day long. Apparently planning permission can't be extended though, you have to reapply from scratch which is not an option we want to persue.

Our other option is to move in with in laws who live a couple of miles away. There we'd have a couple of bedrooms to ourselves. They're retired so home all day but are supportive and good with the grandchildren.

What would you do?

Personally I'd move out, we built our house before having children and moved In when it was structurally sound but very much a work in progress - I found it a nightmare to be honest. Looking back now I don't know how we managed it but it's worth it in the long run. If you get on well with your in laws and it's a short term measure I'd move and leave the builders to it!

were doing the same moving in a month to a house that needs a complete overhaul with a 2yr old and a 4month old. so intention to do 2 rooms up stairs so we have some where clean to live. then will see how it goes. hoping the major work wont take more the 8 -10 weeks. I can go to my mums/mil most days to get out.

i have looked at short term lets but with 2 kids and a dog i couldnt find any where suitable. just hoping for a summer like the one we just had as wont have heating and dont want the work to be delayed.

definitely move out! I'm having both my bedrooms decorated at the moment and it's a nightmare living in the mess! And that's only interior work, with one child. Move out so you can't see the mess, it'll drive you crazy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->