External Cephalic Version

AzureOrchid

Reaction score
Hi Ladies!

I'm currently 37 weeks and 2 days with my first and am seeking some feedback about experiences with having an external cephalic version/external version (ECV/EV) performed. My baby is breech, which was confirmed with ultrasound today, and my doctor mentioned in an appointment that led to the ultrasound that if he is breech we may need to try an EV.

I have an appointment with him tomorrow to discuss the ultrasound outcome, which will probably lead to making decisions about an EV. I've done my fair share of Googling but I'd like to get some feedback from other Mamas out there that have experienced this. Here's some questions that I have:

Have you experienced an EV?
How many weeks were you?
Was it successful?
Did the baby flip back to breech after successful flipping?
How long afterwards did you go into labor?
Any tips/tricks/concerns?

Thanks so much in advance! :)

Hi Azur, I didn't want to read and run. I haven't experienced this myself but my sister did with her 3rd baby Sadly my sister is no longer here for me to ask but I'll tell you what I remember from her.
As far as I recall she was 36/37 weeks and was supper keen to have a vaginal birth. I know that it wasn't a quick procedure, it took a few goes to turn her and my sister was quite exhausted and felt sore and bruised for for a few days afterwards. Baby stayed head down and made it to full term with no complications, they were fine to have the early discharge that my sister was keen on (4 hours after the birth). My niece was 5lb6oz at birth, so not a huge baby. I will say that my sister was always happy that she'd given it a go despite the discomfort, she said at the time that if it didn't work she would go for a csection but she wanted to know that she'd at least given it a go.
Take your time tomorrow, listen to what the consultant says and follow your heart, and remember if you do decide to try it you can always say stop at any point. Good luck.

Thank you so much for sharing, Rags!

My OB doesn't seem entirely confident in this working but we're going to give it the old college try on Monday and see how it goes - unless something changes between now and then. The risks seem pretty minimal with his biggest concern just being that I may go into labour/need a c-section that day but that it's a low risk and he will be 38w so he's fine to come out a bit early if needed, anyways.

Fingers crossed!

I had an ECV with my 7 year old . They recommended I have it done at 37 weeks, but I was unable to do it locally and would have had to travel 3 hours (alone with a 17month old) each direction, and decided not to have it done. However at 39 weeks to avoid a cesarean I transferred to that hospital 3 hours away and at my first appointment there they offered an ecv which they did on the spot.

It was done under continuous ultrasound to monitor how well she tolerated it (that dr said that out of hundreds of ecvs he had done only two babies didnt tolerate it and he did an emergency cesarean- both babies were fine)

That late in my pregnancy her bum was so firmly engaged in my pelvis that attempts to turn her were unsuccessful (but I went on to have a vaginal breech birth a little over a week later)

Thanks so much for sharing, NDH!! Sorry it didn't work out but that's great to hear you were able to have a vaginal breech birth. :) Also good to hear about that Dr's experience with only two babies not tolerating it and still being fine. Thank you!

When you feel up to it let us know how it all goes, in the meantime I hope you manage to rest and relax - or 'nest' like mad if that's where you're at. Xx

Still a couple of days out until the scheduled appointment but we're pretty sure at this point that we're not going to go through with it anymore. My OB feels there's a less than 50% chance of it being successful at this point and my gut is in agreement with his lack of confidence in the procedure with the size of the baby + me at this time.

I'm not heart set on having a vaginal birth and if c-section is the way to go then that's fine with me. No point in putting either of us through the stress, discomfort and pain just so I can potentially have a vaginal delivery. He'll still make it into the world healthy and safe so that's all that matters :)

I think you are doing the right thing for you and your baby. Ultimately the decision is yours and it's all about you and baby being safe, it's very easy to put pressure on yourself at this time because of other peoples opinions of how it should be, their opinions don't count, yours and your partners are the important ones - you have listened to you consultant and know what's best for you. Let us know how the next few weeks goes. Xx

Thank you very much Rags! It really is tough with everyone chiming in on things but my partner and I both feel more comfortable this way. Will definitely keep this updated as we are scheduled for a c-section on Nov 1st unless he has other plans in the meantime in there :)

I had it done with my last one last year at 36 weeks failed it hurt as hell and i had her at 37 weeks vaginal delivery feet first :)

I had it done with my last one last year at 36 weeks failed it hurt as hell and i had her at 37 weeks vaginal delivery feet first :)
Ouch! I hope it wasn't awfully traumatic?

Relieved to hear that, I often hear of traumatic birth experiences, I know it can be difficult to move on from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->