Extra Folic Acid?

AliDubs

Back at it!
Reaction score
Hi All! I had my first OB appointment for this pregnancy yesterday - more of a meet and greet and collection of information.

The doctor noted my two miscarriages and said "so you're on a maternity vitamin plus extra folic acid right?" I said "umm, no. I've been taking vitamins with 1mg of folic acid for the past 3 months which I thought was what I was supposed to be doing". She told me I should be taking 5 mg total a day because of my history of pregnancy loss (one of which was a random chromosomal issue) and my age.

I said - at this point 7+weeks, isn't it too late anyway? And she said "well maybe, but it won't hurt."

I am a little irritated because - how would I have known to take extra FA before this initial visit?!?

Has anyone else received this advice?

Hi there, I have never heard of this and how would you know to do so if you were not informed?? I am currently on extra vit D and iron, it was the same with my first so I knew it was coming, but they told me I was not expected to know... Good luck!!

Hi! Yeah that's just annoying.

I didn't have my current GP say that to me (though I recently had a mmc). However, once I had a random (dermatologist) doc tell me something similar. Very snarkily she said something like "oh well don't you know there are studies showing that fetuses who had more exposure to folic acid have higher intelligence" blah blah. I was a bit like - thanks but no thanks. Yes I'm taking my folic acid but I'm not beating myself up if I miss the odd day! I think correlations between child intelligence/success/health are more highly correlated with other things, like home environment/upbringing, diet, access to mental/emotional support and medical supplies, etc!

Anyway I think medical docs are just like anyone else -- they all have an opinion! Some are right, some are wrong. She probably just "assumed" you would be able to read her mind or something :shrug:

First I hear about that. It relates to neural tube defects more than to mc... Anyway, I wouldn't stress over it. Take some extra now. It is annoying when they casually mention things like that. What are we ... Mind readers?

After my Mc and mmc I went to see an obgyn. She never mentioned anything about extra folic acid to avoid miscarriage.
I did find a really good quality prenatal though when I found out I was pregnant - garden of life organic raw prenatal with foliate instead of folic acid.
Pp is right - there are so many different opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->