False Positive or Real Deal?

truelove5236

Reaction score
This may be a tricky read but please hang in there with me. On March 17th I took 2 different brand home pregnancy tests at different times of the day and both came out positive within seconds. So the same day I decided to go get a Quantitative HCG blood test and got the results the next day that were also positive and measured at 459. Which put me at 3-4 weeks, which is how far along I am according to when my Husband and I were trying for a miracle. *GOD IS AMAZING!!!* But here is where things get tricky. On February 6th I was diagnosed with 2 large Dermoid ovarian cysts and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and was put on 1500mg of Metformin a day. The medicine made me extremely nauseous, dizzy, light headed and emotional for the first two weeks and the third week I was completely fine. The week after (which is 1 month on Metformin--around March 6th) all of those side effects were back and were worse. My Husband and I tried to conceive around February 24th-29th. I was supposed to get my period on March 14th and never got it. Now, I know the normal person would get the positive pregnancy tests and believe that they are pregnant, but I am worried that because of my PCOS, ovarian cysts and/or medication (I also use an inhaler for asthma) caused me to get a false positive or that I'm experiencing a false pregnancy. What caused me to take a pregnancy test in the first place was that besides my missed period, I had a "full" feeling in my uterus and I felt that for about 2 weeks. But to add to this complicated story, this week I haven't felt it anymore. I still am dizzy/light headed but I'm not sure if that is because of the Metformin or if it is signs of early pregnancy. I don't have my doctor's appointment for 3 more weeks because my doctor won't see me until I am 8 weeks along so until then I am left without any kind of insight on what is happening to me. I am confused to whether or not my symptoms are due to the Metformin or pregnancy and since I have those health conditions I worry that God forbid my positive results were actually false positives. What would be causes for a false positive blood test? Any insight is very much appreciated!

I would say that you're definitely pregnant. Congratulations!

I have no idea why after 2 hpt and blood test with hcg levels u would think ur not pregnant?! Unless I'm missing something. U don't have hcg in ur system unless u r pregnant x

I just got pregnant while taking Metformin. I have all those side effects from it and Ive been taking it for over a year, probably close to 2 yrs now.
They suspect I have PCOS because of ovarian cysts and was having trouble getting pregnant after a Tubal Reversal and put me on the Metformin. I took 1500 a day as well and had the whole time. ( Up until a few weeks ago). Im on the extended release.
It took 3 yrs but I ended up pregnant.
I am 13 weeks and have had no symptoms except for being extremely bloated and the nausea which was hitting about the same time as it always had after a few hrs of taking the Metformin just alot worse. I take it right before bed and wake about 4-5am sick. Never have thrown up just lay there super nauseous.
Other than that I have no real pregnancy symptoms which has scared me but Ive had an ultrasound and saw the baby so its there! LOL I have a doppler and listen to its heartbeat alot too. Im ready to start feeling it move so Im assured its there.
I do have alot of cravings and go to the bathroom alot but I have interstitial cystitis so that makes me pee constantly anyway so its really not a new symptom.
Im sure you are pregnant. I dont think theres much that can cause a false positive on a pregnancy test. Although it didnt happen to me, I here of ALOT of women falling pregnant their first month on Metformin.
Oh, I have Asthma and use inhalers as well. I havent had to use it maybe once since being pregnant but I do have them.
Whatever you do, dont stop the Metformin. I just learned from my doctor that it can cause a miscarriage in early pregnancy. Shes starting to wean me off mine but waited til I was almost out of my first trimester because of the miscarriage threat. I didnt even know there was a risk. Thank God I continued it! Im on 1000 a day now and she may leave me at that shes not sure. She will do more blood work in a few weeks and go from there.
She says the reason Im more nauseous now is not morning sickness but she believes my sugar is dropping and its worse now that Im pregnant and that why shes trying to at least drop the dose down. I have noticed a difference in the nausea getting a little better. Seems like its not every single night now.
Hope all this info helps!
Are you noticing the nausea within maybe 6 hrs of taking the meds? Or do you take them all at once? They have me taking them all 3 (2 now) at bedtime.

Definitely pregnant (from a another person who has PCOS and used metformin). Congratulations! The metformin probably helped you to conceive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->