Fears about birth

nnaime

Blessed Mother of 2 little ones
Reaction score
I'm an overweight woman (BMI +40) and I had my first prenatal visit with the nurse today at 5+6. I came in early because I was afraid of micarrying again. But already so early I'm really scared about birth especially risk of cesearean or episiotomy, and God willing this will be a successful and healthy pregnancy and it would be a blessing I just can't shake the fear.
Especially reading about risks associated with women of size having a 50% risk of c section and all the different things and I'm so freaked out. Even though we've been trying for 2 years now I feel so unprepared and I guess I just never got to imagine the reality of the point after the BFP.
Hoping to hear encouraging stories from other women who are plus size

I'm not plus size, but my mom had all five children is c-section, some emergency and some scheduled preterm and some scheduled full term. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be, especially when you have a suppprtibe partner. :hugs:

My BMI was over 50 when I was pregnant for the first time! I have lost weight since then, but it's still extremely high. My first pregnancy was textbook, and the delivery was not complicated at all due to my size. He was delivered vaginally and breastfed happily. 7 months later, I had another perfect, healthy pregnancy followed by a very easy, quick natural, pain-relief-free delivery. A second healthy, wonderful baby. 2 months later, I was pregnant again. Perfect pregnancy, very easy, pain-relief-free induction, my third healthy, breastfed baby. 12 months later, I was pregnant again. Perfect pregnancy, easy, pain-relief-free, natural delivery. My fourth happy, healthy, breastfed baby. 7 months later, I was (am) pregnant again, and I'm 32 weeks along with that one. That is my entire history of pregnancies. :)

I have PCOS, too, along with hypothyroidism. I know that we are constantly told that we're doomed due to our weight, but that is NOT the case most of the time. Please TRY not to let all the hype scare you. It is so sad how negative people, especially doctors, can be just because we are heavier. I am thankful to have found a practice that doesn't make my weight an issue. I worry enough when I'm pregnant. :)

I'm sorry you're scared, hun, but honestly I've known several people with that BMI range give birth naturally and to healthy babies. I was actually on the opposite scale, I was underweight during my first pregnancy (I've since gained weight with each baby) and was worried that I wouldn't be able to carry full term because my doctor warned me about the risks associated with being malnourished during pregnancy, including premature birth and low birth weight. I had to hear about my weight from my doctor almost the entire time I was pregnant. I actually ended up carrying my first baby to 39w5d and I surprised my doctor with a 9 lber so just because those are the "odds" doesn't mean that you'll fall into them. Your body knows what it is doing more so than the doctors. I'm sure you'll be fine :hugs:

I don't have any weight issues, but I did have an episiotomy as baby got distressed due to a very rapid labor. It honestly wasn't that bad, area was numbed first and the stitches healed fast and didn't cause me too much discomfort.

Every labor is different, but staying calm really helps. Remember, the people around you know what they are doing and so does your body. It might help you to have a good discussion with your midwife about your worries. Have a birth plan, but be prepared to bin it if need be.

Its best to just focus on keeping yourself healthy and do some exercise like walking or swimming, lots of water. It can be hard to eat well in the furst trimester but eat well when you can. Try not to worry, yes the risks are higher but we come in all shapes and sizes and have children so don't put yourself down. If you do have a c section then thats a long way of so the main thing is to enjoy being pregnant and focus on the end result. Ask for support from friends and obviously gps etc if you feel you need some guidance. I am 12 and a half stone. 2 stone overweight and still carrying last times weight. It would not shift. I walk miles as a non driver. Im not lazy. I eat ok but not perfect. I too worry abit about diabetes etc but pregancy does allsorts to us and you just have to go with it. Good luck and congratulations xx

Hi there. My BMI was about 39 when I got pregnant the first time, and this time it's probably higher. I did have a couple of weight-related complications during my first pregnancy, but it was manageable. I developed a blood clot in my leg so I had to go on blood thinners for the rest of the pregnancy, and I had gestational diabetes so I was on metformin as well. Because of these things I had an induction at 38 weeks to make it safer for both of us. And I did end up needing a C-section, although that wasn't due to my weight, it was just that the baby got stuck. It went very well and my recovery was just fine. Now that I'm pregnant again I'm back on metformin and I'll be going back on blood thinners to prevent another clot, but a lower dose this time.

I know its easy to freak out, and there are some additional risks of being plus size, but many larger women have totally healthy pregnancies and births, as some of the other ladies have described. Just take good care of yourself and if you're ever worried about something then speak to your doctor and get it checked out. Even if its nothing it's better to be safe, you want to get on top of any problems as soon as possible.

Hey lovely. I know it's hard, but just try to relax.
I am probably the same size as you. I had to be induced with my son because they thought he would be a bit large (he was fine), I had a few failed inductions but that was only because I wasn't dilating. They ended up giving me and epidural (it was my plan anyway) and I finally relaxed enough and went into labour :) I delivered him vaginally without the need for a vacuum or forceps or anything like that (I did tear, but so do many women).

Obviously you know just to try and eat healthy etc during your pregnancy.

You can do this :) good luck lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"