FEBRUARY HEARTS Due in February 2015 , open group all welcome!

I know of one lady who took some kind of medication to dry up her milk, christina. No idea what it was- but can you call your dr to ask if they have any options?

I save something good taped off TV for the middle of the night. I have been strict with myself about not taking her into bed and just force myself to get up, change her, dress her back up, turn on TV. It also helped to have a snack Set up (Inc cold drink!). I am trying not to watch too much to in the day, so look forward to watching whatever at 3am. That is what has worked for me!

Megan what I've started doing is having a cold drink and snacks on hand, and I also play games on my phone/browse the Internet while she feeds. I have my nursing pillow on my lap and can test my phone on it (I'm actually doing it right now!) once DH goes back to work I'll user my phone to watch things on Netflix but I don't want to disturb him for now!

Oh, and I've thought about using my e-reader as well but thought that might make me even sleepier!!

I'm surprised anyone can manage to get up for night feedings! I'd be soooo exhausted. It's perfectly safe to co-sleep and night nurse if you follow guidelines, so I hope nobody has scared you guys about it. It's really unfortunate that some places condemn it...

I have my iPad to surf, play games etc for night feeds. I don't know how I'd stay Wake otherwise. I also have tv on dimmed brightness with no sound and subtitles as I try to have dark and silence from 7-7.

I am finding myself very annoyed! All I heard with my first was how bad bed sharing is... now today I see this article. This morning in my lactation support group the leader (a registered nurse with 30 years experience in mother/ baby care and certified lactation consultant) was talking about how the AAP is now saying bed sharing is safe when done correctly. I feel so annoyed!!!!!! I wouldn't have bed shared the first couple weeks due to taking medications and feeling groggy from c section, but man I would have loved to when I was up feeding and pumping every 2 hours! Maybe my supply would've been better and I wouldn't have needed to pump. Ugh who knows? But seriously I'm irritated.

I never planned to but we did bed share for the first week little one was home. I couldn't sleep a wink with Catelyn in her crib, I kept watching her incase she was sick and started choking. Half way through night one DH said to bring her into bed and it just felt right.

Since Friday she's been back in her crib but I do miss it. I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up back in bed with me when DH goes back to work :haha:

Hi ladies, I just need to rant and get your opinions. I had my little girl two weeks ago via c section. My son is just over 2. Im finding it very difficult atm as im exhausted from doing all the night feeds and single handedly caring for baby plus trying to entertain my toddler during the day. My partner is home to help but hes struggling as hes had to take over all the cooking, cleaning, laundry and care of our eldest. Im gradually getting on my feet but still a lot of things im not able to do. Ive been all but housebound due to the op for the last two weeks and the only place ive been is back to the hospital, once for myself which resulted in an overnight stay and twice for baby girl. Shes now full of a cold, cant open her eyes coz shes so gunky, plus choking and bringing up her milk from all the phlegm.

I just feel like its never ending i really want to get back to normal! My partner wants me to speak to the doctor coz he thinks i cant cope or im depressed but im really not! He also wants to go back to work but doesnt think i could cope without him either.

Please tell me im ok, that this is normal and will get easier soon!

The first few weeks are difficult when there is only the lo to focus on, when there are siblings it is harder and with your csection an added strain. I was a mess until at least 5 weeks, only focussing on baby and sleeping when she did. My mum and DH did everything else. You will find that you settle I to a pattern and routine. It wasn't until I was left on my own when DH was working and mum went home 3 hours away that I started to function properly. You will too. Forget the housework and focus on the children. The rest will follow.

Thanks for the tips everyone. We still don't really know what we're going to do. I want to take the baby into the bed at this point, atleast when he won't go to sleep in his bassinet. Getting him back to sleep in the middle of the night is what is really difficult.

Christina recovering from a c-section can be really brutal. It will get better. I was on Percocet for 12 days after mine, it's the only way I could function. I wish I could use my Ergo carrier but my belly is still sore so I can't. Hang in there and try to take care of yourself. I can NOT imagine doing this with another child... I would need to hire help. It might help your partner to hear it from the doctor that you still need his help and it is not an easy recovery.

Christina, it gets better! It took me 2 weeks to really start to feel ok after my section. My then 16 month old was a real handful! I feel for you! Did they give you an abdominal binder? I wore mine constantly for 3-4 weeks then as needed (when I started aching) until 6 weeks. Finally at 8 weeks I feel about 90% back to normal. It's just hard. Be extra patient with yourself.
We resorted to take out nearly every day that way dh could focus on caring for my toddler and I did all of the newborn care. I'm sorry you're having a tough time. Give it another week and you'll start to see an improvement.

Its almost a month since i had Abby and my incision from my csection is tiny bit open. My mom is a nurse and i told her it felt like it was on fire. She checked it and noticed a lil drainage so she cleaned it and is gonna keep an eye on it.

Christina you can try ice. It dried up my milk. You just gotta keep it on there daily.

Shey my c-section scar opened at either end and mine felt the same, like it was on fire, i had little a pocket of infection o one side... i pressed on it until it was empty and used witch hazel to clean the area and on the whole scar... it was better in a matter of days! I had been in agony with it and on antibiotics (i only took a few the interfered with BF an made my babies gassy) but i swear by the witch hazel! x

I think I have nipple thrush or mastitis or something :( I think I have baby girl's latch mostly sorted, but my nipples are on fire all the time and my boobs feel like they're being crushed in a vice for hours after each feed.

I think I have nipple thrush or mastitis or something :( I think I have baby girl's latch mostly sorted, but my nipples are on fire all the time and my boobs feel like they're being crushed in a vice for hours after each feed.

It could be nipple trauma if you have latch issues, getting a good deep latch will help. If it were mastitis you would probably have redness, heat and a lump or hardness in the breast - are you experiencing any of that?

Is it one side or both? Do the babies have any signs of thrush in their mouths? How is the skin on your nipples/areolas? Thrush is often described as being stabbed by needles - is that how it feels?

This page might help you: https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/sorenipples-older/

We are deep in growth spurt territory today - it's 7:40pm and Libby has been attached since lunchtime! She already put a pound on in the last week so goodness knows what'll happen now. I was looking forward to a nice bath tonight as DD isn't here but that's not looking likely now!

Minibump I think we're having a little spurt here too! LO is usually so chilled out when she wakes for feeding, just shows the signs of hunger like rooting, but today as soon as her eyes open she's crying her little eyes out to be fed!

This morning DH got up and bottle fed her with milk I'd pumped before bed, he had to come wake me up as she'd drank the whole bottle and was still hungry!!

Catelyn's cord fell off a few days a go this week and all looked well. We went to the doctors for her checkup and she had to strip down for the nurse weighing which she hated. We got her dressed and took her into the doctors room who then wanted her to get undressed again. When we stripped her down her navel was bleeding a little :(

He told us to just keep an eye on it and not to worry, and come back if it looks red and angry, which it doesn't. It is still bleeding small amounts though :( there's a chunk of dry blood there that I don't want to disturb incase things hasn't healed yet. I'm just glad it's not bothering her. We have an appointment with the doctor that delivered her tomorrow, so at least I don't have to wait much longer for it to be seen.

I wouldn't worry, Libby's cord dropped off at 4 days, she's 3 weeks today and still has a scab in there that leaves blood spots on her vest. The midwife checked it and said it's self-cleaning so to just leave it alone if it didn't look infected. My DD had a bit of black in her belly button for the best part of a year until it finally came out! (Not sure if it was blood or dead cord but we never had any problems with it)

Does anyone else have a grunty groany baby, especially at night?! I think it's when she's trying to pass gas but can't quite control everything!

That makes me feel so much better about it, thank you!

It could be nipple trauma if you have latch issues, getting a good deep latch will help. If it were mastitis you would probably have redness, heat and a lump or hardness in the breast - are you experiencing any of that?

Is it one side or both? Do the babies have any signs of thrush in their mouths? How is the skin on your nipples/areolas? Thrush is often described as being stabbed by needles - is that how it feels?

This page might help you: https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/sorenipples-older/

Thanks MiniBump. I'm frustrated that I don't seem to be able to explain it properly to people. I've been prescribed antibiotics for mastitis due to a sore lump in my left breast and general redness/tenderness, but my right boob hurts as much if not more! They couldn't both have mastitis? So I'm not sure that's the problem, especially since the lump has only been there for a few days and the pain has been increasing for weeks. I have been massaging the lump in hot showers and using hot wheat packs or my hot water bottle on them after feeds for the last week.

Basically, both boobs start to ache intensely during/after each feed, lasting for up to a couple of hours. My nipples are burning almost all the time, and irritation (like the seatbelt or a hug) sets off/exacerbates the ache, like its shooting inwards from the nipple. I know there are still latch issues, even when I get baby girl on well, she almost always pulls away/partially off after a minute or two and then we're in bad latch territory again. I really want to do this, but it's so hard. I'm in pain almost all the time and crying multiple times a day. I can't believe how relieved I felt last night when I decided to pump and bottle feed for the night instead of putting them on the breast. Which makes me sad :( And sad that I'm no enjoying this time with them, I don't want to hate or dread the time I spend feeding them. It was so lovely to hold her and look into her eyes while she took the expressed milk in the bottle and be happy and smiling at her instead of gasping/whimpering/shouting with pain and gritting my teeth and gripping the pillow tightly. I have had three lactation consultants show me how to get a good latch, I know the basics, she just doesn't open her mouth wide enough most of the time, and as I said, the times she does, she pulls off. I have tried hand expressing before feeding her and I literally can only squeeze out a tiny drop, if anything. Clearly I am not good at hand expressing! Or any of this!! Sorry for the brain dump, I am just so fried and exhausted and in pain :(

Big hugs, melly :hugs: I was finding it very difficult, and like you felt guilty about it. We seemed to have a bit of a break through, and the past week or so it has really improved. For me, I realised that I needed to pull her off if the latch was bad, even if I dreaded the extra time it might take to get her back on. I also have to push her on a lot more firmly than I had been doing. Those were my issues (not to say that your would be the same). I am sure it is extra frustrating having one baby feed well, but have issues with the other. Have they checked for a tongue tie? I also bought a nipple shield- have you tried one? It might really help give your poor body a rest and the chance to heal. Then when you aren't tender, you might be able to work on things without so much pain. Wishing you lots of luck :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->