February Valentines 2012 - We have our first Valentines!

i had the worst headache and eye pain for the first day or two. had no idea it could be from the spinal.

eta: what about a sensitive ear? loud noises and talking on the phone really hurt my right ear... any thoughts?

That could be 'tintinitus'? :shrug:

I found this information ~ :coffee: Also, I have been drinking coffee, the anthesthitist told me too...worth trying :thumbup:

What Is a Spinal Headache?

About one-fourth of the people who undergo a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) or spinal anesthesia develop a headache. These headaches are known as spinal headaches or spinal tap headaches. Many headache research scientists believe these headaches result from leakage of the spinal fluid (cerebrospinal fluid) that flows through pain-sensitive membranes around the brain and down to the spinal cord. The fluid, they suggest, drains through the tiny hole created by the spinal tap needle, causing the membranes to rub painfully against the bony skull.

What Are the Symptoms?
Spinal headache symptoms usually begin within 48 hours after a spinal tap or spinal anesthesia, but may be delayed up to 12 days. A spinal headache is often related to position, in that the head pain worsens with standing or sitting and improves with lying down. Coughing or shaking the head may also make the head pain worse. The longer the person is standing, the longer the spinal headache will remain after lying down.

A spinal headache can be dull or throbbing. It is often accompanied by nausea or a stiff neck. Occasionally, a person with a spinal headache will also complain of blurry vision, sensitivity to light, a spinning sensation (vertigo), and ringing in the ears (tinnitus).

Treatment for a Spinal Headache
Since headache pain occurs only when the person stands up, the "cure" is to remain lying down until the headache runs its course -- anywhere from a few hours to several days. Your healthcare provider may also recommend over-the-counter pain medicines (see Headache Medicines), as well as drinking plenty of fluids. Your healthcare provider may also recommend that you drink caffeinated fluids.

In some cases, your healthcare provider may give caffeine through an intravenous (IV) line. For those who do not respond to IV caffeine, an epidural blood patch may be recommended. An epidural blood patch involves injecting a small amount of your blood over the hole in the dura.

My SIL had that... she was telling me about it when I was in the hospital... it sounded a lot worse than what I had... she had to have the blood patch and they were bringing her coke to drink.
Idk... maybe I have a milder form? I definitely have the sensitivity to light and the ear thing... :shrug: At least that says it will go away...

Hi ladies I had my little one on the 11th of feb at 38+2 weighing 6lb 1oz he is 3 weeks old today. :)

My SIL had that... she was telling me about it when I was in the hospital... it sounded a lot worse than what I had... she had to have the blood patch and they were bringing her coke to drink.
Idk... maybe I have a milder form? I definitely have the sensitivity to light and the ear thing... :shrug: At least that says it will go away...

I think I too had a mild form, the headaches/visual disturbance have gone now :thumbup:

Hope yours eases soon too :flower:

Hi ladies I had my little one on the 11th of feb at 38+2 weighing 6lb 1oz he is 3 weeks old today. :)

Congrats :baby:

I finally got my birth story up if anyone is interested: https://growingavegan.wordpress.com/

Hello everyone!! I am not sure if you remember me but I used to be a active some time ago. I have been reading up every now and then but haven't posted much. Just wanted to update everyone that we had our little boy on feb 24. My labor was absolutely horrible and 40 hours long!!!!!!! Will update with the full story later as it is quiet dramatic. The important thing is that we r both doing great. Just wanted to see if this is where everyone is continuing having discussions or is there a separate thread for those of us who have our babies? I am pretty overwhelmed and would love to chat about keeping up with a newborn.

therealme- there is a link to the new thread on page 1 (the original post at the bottom) of this thread :flow:
we would love to have you back.
im sorry your labour was awful but congratulations on your little man :hugs:

Yes, do come join us on the other thread :coffee:

Congrats on your little Boy :baby:

:dohh:
Was wondering where everyone had gone to... Totally forgot about the other thread. I claim Baby Brain. :haha:

LOL yeah the new thread is where its at!!

is anyone still waiting for their baby to arrive?

Just stopping in to help you all reach the 1000 and 10,000 goal!:cake:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->