feeding a food snob with little money?

I don't think being choosy about what you put into your body as being a food snob. In that case, I'm a definite 'Food snob'. My DH is forever whinging about the price of our shopping bill. However, I am given a household budget each month and I stay within that. By making my own hair and cleaning product.

I used to shop at Marks and Sainsbury's. Until I did some research at a local packing factory and discovered that all the veg came from the same place and was just split into different packaging. There is no difference between value veg and normal veg in the big supermarkets except they aren't the right shape or whatever.

So now, I get my meat from the butcher. In the long run it works out much better value. I get a fruit box and a veg box delivered to me once a week. I go to an organic shop once a month and stock up on eggs, bread flour, nuts etc. And then pop to Sainsbury's when I need kitchen staples.

I've leant how to bulk cook and freeze, I use cheap ham cuts to make soup etc once a week, use a slow cooker to make meat more tender. Quiches can be made ridiculously cheaply, with meat in when you have left overs.

I'm not saving about £40 a month over shopping just in Marks and sainsburgers.

I don't exactly have this issue but I have have a husband with a very adventurous palette who wont tone it down for the sake of my sanity or the children's menu lol.

If he had his way it would be chilli, curry or something else equally exotic/spicy every night of the week. I like spicy and adventurous food as much as the next person but I also like roasts, pasta, jacket potatoes, stew, and even the occasion chippy tea! lol. He doesn't like most things I suggest to eat unless I try to make them into something a bit more spicy. It makes meal planning, shopping and trying to keep everyone happy a flippin' nightmare. Some nights I need to be able to rustle something up quickly so something like an omelette, pasta or even just some fish fingers, but nope, wont eat it.

I cook twice most nights at the moment just due to the way our family works, which is a pain but I am hoping that by the summer we'll all be eating together as a family, but I can still see me cooking 2 meals! :wacko:

He also wont eat a meal unless it has meat somewhere in there.

We're strapped for cash all the time and to be honest I could do things for half the price if he would compromise, but I learned a long time ago that he wont. I confess, I've become a bit lax about the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->