feeding advice..

stepmum

Oliver's Mummy
Reaction score
was wondering if anyone could give me any advice or share their experiences with regards to feeding a prem baby..
My Oliver was born at 32 + 6 and is just over 8 weeks old now (actual age) and his feeding has gone slightly up the wall, when he was discharged from hospital he was taking 3oz and was going every 4 hours, we've increased that to 7oz every 5 hours (4 hours in the early hours of the morning) and he was draining nearly every bottle and never seeming full, I'm reluctant to increase it anymore as that would be getting to nearly a full bottle and I'm not sure he should be on that (should he be feeding as a newborn or as a 2 month old??)..anyways we decided to put him back to every 4 hours and now he's only taking 4oz which seems like a huge decrease for the sake of an hour, plus he's sleepy and I have to wake him for it. I don't know what to do for the best, if I keep him at 5 hours and increase the amount am I overfeeding him or have him sleepy at 4 hours when he's possibly not getting enough. Do prem babies have a massive rapid growth spurt where they want feeding loads all the time in the first few months and then does it stabilise? But then surely it would stabilise at the 7oz or slightly less, his stomach is supposed to get bigger not smaller surely. i'm so confused.
P.S he was 4lb 13oz when born and he's put on over 4lb since birth.

Most babies, prem or term, have several growth spurts in the first few months. I'd personally go with the flow and let him decide. 5 hours is a long time to go without though, in the early days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->