Feeding every 45-60 minutes

WantsALittle1

Reaction score
I am new to BFing even though this is my second kiddo. DD was born at 31 weeks and so I had to pump for her (total breast rejection).

DS was born on Monday and I personally think our BFing is going great except for the fact that he latches, sucks for 10 minutes and falls asleep at the breast with milk literally dripping out of his mouth (it's obvious he's filled himself) but then he wakes up 45 minutes later and wants to feed again. Last night (our first night home from the hospital) my milk wasn't in and he was sucking for 1-1.5 hours and then passing out and waking up to suck again 30 minutes later. It was brutal.

I know this will sound stupid but I'm new to this--why, now that my milk is in, isn't he feeding in the typical "every 3 hours" pattern? I can't even finish one breast before he passes out and needs to sleep, and then 45 minutes later he is starving and fills himself again. Does this mean another disastrous night for us tonight?!

I have tried all the tricks to make him feed longer--stripping him down to keep him awake for longer, tickling him, unlatching and re-latching, changing a diaper. When he's stuffed, he's stuffed, and he wants to sleep. I'm also scared that if he isn't emptying both breasts during a feeding that my supply will suffer… I would say he barely taps into 25% of one breast before passing out.

It is normal for LO's to not go for 3 hours especially in the beginning. There tummies are tiny and can't hold a lot and Breast milk is digested quicker then formula. Your Lo will go for longer between feeds but for now he feeds often. Your supply should adjust to his needs it just takes some time. There first couple of weeks are the toughest. But it does get better with time. Your LO sounds normal to me.

totally normal. we bottlefed almost exclusively for the first 2 weeks and he still wanted to eat every 2 hours or less around the clock. tiny tummies.

to be honest, although my guy is sleeping quite a lot at night now, he still nurses about every 2 hours during the day and he is 3 months old.

Well now we are having the opposite problem. 6 days PP and he is waking up to feed every 2-2.5 hours but will NOT suck for longer than 5 minutes. Nothing rouses him. Even when he is roused, he will take a few sucks and spit out my nipple. Resorting to pumping now because I don't want my supply to dwindle.

just keep trying. the two of you will get it eventually. pump and feed bottles for now. that is totally okay.

after 2 weeks of bottlefeeding, i offered my breast for a feeding the same way i always did and my baby finally successfully nursed for the 1st time :0) then and there we started breastfeeding and we never looked back. now he eats on a schedule that works for him. lol. it's natural, but it may take practice and time. don't get discouraged.

A babies stomach is so teeny-tiny that they need so little but more often. I've been bf'ing for almost 5 months and we´re now in a routine of pretty much bang on every 1.5hrs during the day. I remember at the beginning that she would feed for about 45 mins at a time (minimum) and there was no set routine, it´s important to just feed on demand. She would also keep falling asleep on the breast. This post isn´t to discourage you at all, it´s to encourage you to carry on and enjoy bf'ing your baby, but to know that it´s perfectly normal what you're going through. Your baby will establish it´s own feeding routine over time, but just be patient for now and take it as it comes. Congrats mama!! :flower:

Sounds normal to me! My DD didn't do a 3 hour stretch until she was well past 4 months old :haha:
When they're real young it feels like never ending feeding them.

Exact same problem here - I fed my newborn 7 times in 3/4 hours last night and my milk is most definitely in! He would feed for 10-15 mins, fall asleep and wake up to latch again 20-30 mins later. He is only 4 days old though. It is going great and he's doing well but it's making looking after my 16 month old impossible.

Exact same problem here - I fed my newborn 7 times in 3/4 hours last night and my milk is most definitely in! He would feed for 10-15 mins, fall asleep and wake up to latch again 20-30 mins later. He is only 4 days old though. It is going great and he's doing well but it's making looking after my 16 month old impossible.

Our kids are almost exactly the same age difference! I have a 9-day old and a 17 month old. Well this 45-60 minute thing is no longer a problem. My new problem is that he won't feed for more than 5 minutes from each breast, IF that. I have tried every single trick--stripping him down to the diaper, changing him, cold rags, tickling. Nothing works. I'm so frustrated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->