Feeding in public

Girly922

Reaction score
What do you ladies do when out and about? I'm not the most confident person and I'm still trying to get the hang of latching DD without flashing everyone nearby.

I don't have a problem if we're out in the city, as plenty of shops have feeding rooms. But if we pop into town and she needs a feed I struggle to find somewhere to feed her. I refuse to feed her in a toilet or baby change so I tend to pop back to the car and feed her in there.

What do you do if you're out in town/out for lunch and there's nowhere nearby that's breastfeeding friendly?

Honestly for me if there isn't a place specifically for nursing I just find a place to sit and nurse baby. He's hungry and needs to eat , he doesn't care where we are so I feed him .

Your child needs to eat and that's the most important thing. The more you do it the more comfortable it gets

I am the exact same as you and for the first fortnight would only go out straight after a feed and rush home so I didn't have to feed in public but then I got a feeding apron and love it! I feel confident to feed in cafés etc and quite enjoy sitting with a cuppa and feeding. It covers me but because of the plastic loop at the top it doesn't fall on her face and I can still see her and she can see me. I got mine of amazon xx

Thanks ladies.

Glad I'm not the only one that's felt like this makemeamammy!! I may have to invest in a feeding apron. I do worry about being asked to stop/leave a cafe or restaurant. Have you had any problems when feeding out?

I never cracked feeding in public.... The rates of breastfeeding are extremely low round here and I didn't want people staring. When I say public, I just mean places where people are not expecting it, I was fine at baby groups and things. In all honesty I never went anywhere where there wasn't a feeding room or I fed in my car or I timed it so that he wouldn't need feeding whilst I was out.
I can't really see it being any different with this one... I guess I'm just a bit weird!
It goes without saying I am fully supportive of breastfeeding in public, I try to smile if I see a mum and hope they don't think I'm creepy! I wish I was more confident.

I have always fed in public and although I am comfortable with it and have never had any problems (remember it is illegal to make you stop anyway), a feeding apron makes it so much easier. They are so easy to use, really discreet and rule out the chance of flashing someone!

Honestly I'm not sure how to feed without flashing people.. if she gets hungry I typically will go to the car ir if I'm in a store with dressing rooms I will go there. I have a breastfeeding cover but I don't think I'm brave enough to do it out and about. Wish I was though.

I tend to latch baby on facing a wall then cover myself up with a muslin but leave her eyes exposed so she can still see me then sit down. I done this once in m and s in the home department and sat on a nice comfy sofa. If she becomes de-lached I literally just move the muslin so only I can see my nipple so baby's head is in the way and she attached back so quickly because she's hungry!

I used to feed Isabella in a sling! She would feed I could shop/enjoy a drink or some food etc! I wasn't confident but after a few weeks it became second nature!

Good luck happy feeding!!

I always just find somewhere to sit and feed her, the only times I've gone to car have been when there is nowhere to sit. I expected more strange looks seeing as this province has the lowest breastfeeding rate in the country and I've only seen one other mother nip but so far it seems like no one really cares. I usually wear a tank top under a shirt and pull one up and the other down so practically nothing is exposed.

Breastfeeding is the norm up where I live, I think most new mums do it. I certainly have nothing against women who do it in public without a cover - I only wish I was that confident! A lot of my friends do it without a cover and I've never noticed any dirty looks. I always use my cover, have never flashed anyone and have never noticed any dirty looks, quite often older women look round just as I am taking her off but that's more so that they can coo at the baby than anything. No cafe/restaurant in their right mind will tell you to get out as it's so well known that it's law and if you have a cover on then they probably wouldn't even notice. Xx

Thanks for all the replies ladies. Makes me feel a bit more confident to just feed her wherever we are. I always layer so I can pull one up and one down but did manage to flash a few ladies at baby club the other morning. Luckily they don't care too much about seeing the odd nipple! Lol.

I feel just like you! I often go into a car or fitting room in a shop. Just last weekend I breastfed in a restaurant for the first time. I used a feeding apron and had on a nursing bra. I did not get any looks. I was surprised how easy it was. Mind you I was in a traditional Middle Eastern restaurant too! It helped that I was dining with my best friend and her husband who has a 7 month old baby, so they encouraged me to not hide. It nice to not feel isolated hiding to nurse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->