Feeding my preemie - quantity (need help)

Utahgirl

Reaction score
Hi Preemie Moms!
Three months ago I got the surprise of my life - my baby came 6 weeks early. I was so lucky that she weighed 5 pounds, 3oz and could breath and maintain her temperature on her own. All I needed to do to get her out was get her to eat and grow. Unfortunately, that took 23 days, and she never quite got the hang of breastfeeding, so I pump exclusively and give her breastmilk in a bottle. Here's my question. I have NO idea if I'm feeding her too much, not enough, etc. I'm hoping for some advice and input here, as my pediatrician is pretty casual about it all and not much help. Here are the details:
- Currently 13 weeks old, born 6 weeks early
- Weighed 5 pds, 3 oz at birth, currently weighs 10.5 pounds
- Eats breastmilk only, 10 times a day, 4 oz each feeding, for 40 oz a day
I used to pump with each feeding, and saved up over 300 oz of frozen milk! I thought that would last a long time, but 'Frank the Tank' as we call her is blowing through that. I started back at work last week, and had to reduce the number of times I pump to 5x every 24 hours. I get about 5 oz per pump, on average. That leaves me dipping into my freezer supply for 15 oz a day.

Here are my questions:
- I know there's no 'normal' but what are babies here eating as far as quantity per feeding, and number of feedings a day? I keep wondering if I should give her more.
- Because I'm getting low on frozen milk, I'm going to start adding in some forumla feeds this weekend. I'm devastated to do that, since I was hoping for exclusive breastmilk for 4 months, but I'm pumping as often as I can, drinking lots and taking fenugreek supplements and this is where we're at with my big eater. How did your babies take formula? Did you give them the same amount of formula as breastmilk?

Thanks to everyone for their help!!!

I would offer an ounce or some extra to see if she takes it. If she does you'll know!
I mixed half formula half breast milk in the same bottle with both my girls when they went onto bottles, they got used to the taste easier that way.

I would definatly offer more if you think she'll take more. You could do half and half like the previous poster suggests but I just introduced 1 formula bottle a day. Like yourself I had lots of breast milk frozen and then eventually I dried up so I had no choice but to continue with formula :D Good luck!!

I have twin girls born 7 weeks early. When they started eating more, I started giving more until they reached a point where they wanted more but would throw up the extra. Doctor says their small tummies can't quite handle as much as they needed, so we started just adding 1/4 tsp of powdered formula to the breastmilk to boost up the calories for them. They are still getting the same volume of liquid, just with the added bonus of a bit more calories. Seems to be doing the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->