feeding routine

princessellie

Pregnant with #3
Reaction score
leyla is 6 months now and is on 3 bottles, 6oz each and 3 meals a day, today she has had 2 big cubes apple (think one of my cubes is about 2 normal cubes) 1 big cube courgette and shes about to have 1 big cube carrot and 1 big cube turnip

is that enough for a 6 month old? its more the milk im concerned about, ive read she only needs 16oz when she hits 6 months but it seems like a huge drop...she was on 45oz before i started weaning her lol

also, how do u space out bottles and food, ive been told not to give her the bottle with her food cos it stops iron being absorbed by the body so when is it best to give it? i was thinking like 2hrs after food? so theres not too long to wait inbetween each meal, as in 10 - breakfast, 12 - milk, 2 - lunch, what do u reckon, would that be ok?

x

That sounds fine and I'd say as long as Leyla is satisified then it's enough for her...

I've never heard that giving a bottle with food stops iron being absorbed though? Seren loves her formula, and is taking about 25oz a day still. She has her food with some water, then her bottle straight after.

yeh its the same with everyone, no one is meant to drink milk with dinner cos its stops the iron, ur meant to drink orange juice instead

x

yeh its the same with everyone, no one is meant to drink milk with dinner cos its stops the iron, ur meant to drink orange juice instead

x

Yeah I've heard about it with cows milk, but didn't think that it was the same with formula, most books I've read give the impression that it's fine to give formula, or a breastfeed with solids... :shrug:

i wait about an hour between milk and solids so our day looks roughly like this

7am 6oz milk
8am - baby porridge - about 2 -3 tbl spoons

11.30am - 6oz milk
12.30PM - Veg/potato/rice...2-3 tbl spoons

4pm - 6oz milk
5pm - fruit puree and finger food

7pm - 6oz milk and bed.

10.30pm 6 oz milk

She then tends to sleep through till around 6am - sometimes wakes at 3ish for cuddle/dummy.

amelia is still on 5 feeds a day?!? leyla has dropped to 3! am i giving her too much solids and not enough milk?

x

so glad am reading this thread just gave my son about 2tbsp carrot and then his milk didnt know that your not supposed to

Same here never heard about the lack of iron absorption. Brianna always has a bottle after her cereal in the morning so perhaps I should stop that.

Although her cereal is mixed with formula so not sure if that matters or not...:shrug:

I think it's best to check with the HV about it, formula is fortified with iron, so I don't see how it can stop it being absorbed. Especially seeing as so many people mix formula in with food if baby isn't taking enough formula from a bottle.
Drinking too much cows milk can cause iron deficiency, I was told that when I was anaemic.
I may be wrong though, so I'd like to know whether it's true or not.

amelia is still on 5 feeds a day?!? leyla has dropped to 3! am i giving her too much solids and not enough milk?

x

Liss is on 3 bottles a day at 6 oz each hun. I read minimum is 18-20oz a day, I too was concerned and HV said as long as she is getting a varied diet with plenty of goodness she'll be fine.

My day goes like this -

7am - 1/2 weetabix OR 3 spoons rice/porridge/cereal
plus two cubes roughly of pureed fruit. & 6oz milk (some was used in weetabix)

11am - 6oz milk

3pm - 3-4 cubes vegis with some kind or meat substitute or pasta with a sauce or an egg with Baked beans/spaghetti or something along those lines. She leaves some of it though. I try to give her close to what we are having. But lots smaller obv!

5pm - Pudding type jar or yogurt

7pm 6oz milk (goodnight milk)

She knocked all the bottles out herself. She was having a 3oz bottle at lunch but most was coming back up and could tell it wasn't needed.

The whole iron absorbing thing I think is wrong as so many books tell you to give half milk then food then rest of milk, so thats either side of meal. My HV told me to give milk last. I read somewhere else to give it first. You mix formula with food, so I think its fine to give with the food :)

x

Should she have dropped some by now then? I keep being told not to reduce her milk till around 7 - 8 months as they need it? :shrug: Also, how did you drop yours or did she do it herself?

I've thought about dropping dream feed but don't think Amelia would sleep through without it - she doesn't always mange it with it :dohh:

Am confused now - am i doing it wrong?

x

As long as she's getting at least 500-600mls of formula a day so about 17-21oz then it's fine hun. When they start solid they can dramatically drop the amount of formula they have, and will drop bottles by themselves aswell. As long as she's satisfied and getting the minimum amount of milk there's no need to worry x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->