Feeding when upset

Fenella

Reaction score
Hi - I was wondering if anyone has had experienced this type of behaviour. My 11 week old has started getting really upset one or twice a day - usually when he's tired but won't sleep. I know he's hungry but he won't latch on as he's too frantic. I went to my local drop in clinic and they suggested expressing a few drops into his mouth when he's like this. This has worked really well as it seems to let him know that he's actually hungry and he will then feed and eventually fall asleep. I'd rather not have to rely on doing this though, especially as we will be visiting friends and family over xmas and the idea of trying to jet some milk into his mouth with others there is not appealing! Has anyone else's little one been like this? Is it just a stage? (I suspect he's starting his 12 week growth spurt early? Thanks x

Hamish gets quite frantic when he is hungry but has wind.... I usually find he settles into the feed better after a big burp or trump!

Can you anticipate when he's going to be hungry and get food in him before he gets to that stage?

Can you anticipate when he's going to be hungry and get food in him before he gets to that stage?

I try to and we're generally ok but then once a day or so it all goes wrong! I've noticed a big leap in his development this week so maybe it's just his way of letting off steam..?

Hi Fenella
It's really hard feeding a crying baby - partly because the tongue position is all wrong for feeding. Can you calm him before feeding - a sling, rocking, a cuddle, swaddling, a walk in the pushchair etc? And to second everyone else, I guess the thing is to anticipate; maybe if you have a feeling that he's going to have a tricky evening you'll decide to stay in and just be with him.

Mel

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->