Feel like I must have been a bad person in another life...

make sure there are guidlines before she sees your little girl too. I also had a bad relationship with my mom and had to stop her seeing my kids cuz she said hurtfull things to them and I didn't want them growing up thinking they arnt good enough for anyone.

That's really horrible!!! It's unspeakably unacceptable on so many levels.... so sorry you have that kind of relationship with your mom. For different reasons I can relate to not having a mom to share with - my own parents died several years ago so I don't share those experiences others have spoke of with their moms.

If she has a criminal record for what she did to you as a child, then she should by no means be left alone with your daughter, and further, I'm glad she can't work with children as a result of her criminal record because it sounds like she shouldn't be around kids! Obviously it is NOT your fault she had a record, she made that choice by doing what must have been some pretty awful things....

Personally I don't believe in staying in touch with family just because they're family, EVEN if it's as personal as one's mother. Some people are just jackasses and being related doesn't diminish that fact. From what you describe, I would get as far away from her as you can, emotionally and in terms of communication. Your twin sisters are old enough now that you could probably explain to them why you choose not to contact your mother anymore. It would be ideal if you could still manage to see them without your mom being involved in any way. Not sure how that would work out but it's worth having a think.

On another level, your mother is what I term a ''toxic parent''. There is an excellent book out there called ''Toxic Parents'' (you can easily find it on amazon) and it deals with this subject and offers a path to healing and understanding. I highly recommend it.

Thanks so much ladies, Im sitting here with my fiance with my soggy tissue reading all your lovely replies..

Delilah - I LOVE the idea of the voluntary work thing, as Ive done loads of work like that in the past and I know how lonely elderly people can get. I remember a lovely old lady from a care home that had a piano in her room and used to love it when children would come because she would give them piano lessons e.t.c . Thanks for reminding me of this!! xx

Angel jewel - Thanks for your lovely message,& your right, all contact with my little girl will be supervised.

Em - I am so glad you get to have a happier xmas, I have spent many a xmas alone as well, its not fun! But now you have your wish, your 24 weeks pregnant ( viable ) and have your own little family now. I feel very happy for you xx

Sweetniss - Yes I am going to have to tell her, that she cant smoke pot round my little girl for one! :dohh: Or smoke roll ups either! She also cant swear, or talk about sex or inaprropriate things that you dont talk about in front of children. My little sisters know everything and anything, they have never been allowed to be children and it upsets me that she has messed up again! The amount of times, I have had to tell her to tell the twins to leave the room before she talks about her " topics " but all I get is, " Dont tell me how to bring up my kids " . you should see how " grown up " they are for there age and not in a good way either.

Minstermind - As always, you give such wise and thoughtful advice :hugs: I am going to buy that book off amazon now, as I think I glanced at it in waterstones once and I think it will help me a lot.

To all the ladies that have replied, you dont know how much it means to me to have your support. Its been playing on my mind for weeks, months years but I feel better to know that Im not alone in thinking she is not a good person to be around at the moment especially now Im pregnant as I need to be calm. Thanks again xx

Aww hun, just read the thread.

I am here if you want to talk

Rose,

Sounds like you've already gotten a lot of support -- hope you don't mind me chiming in. My Mom, isn't quite as bad, but she's far from "good". I also wish I had a Mom I was close to right now, the feeling almost overwhelms me sometimes. I have spent most of my life looking for a "mother figure" and never found one. My husband was a very late child and is older than me, so his mom is in her late 70s -- doesn't make for a close relationship.

Anyway, I wanted to say I know how it feels and I'm here. :flower:

Rose,

Sounds like you've already gotten a lot of support -- hope you don't mind me chiming in. My Mom, isn't quite as bad, but she's far from "good". I also wish I had a Mom I was close to right now, the feeling almost overwhelms me sometimes. I have spent most of my life looking for a "mother figure" and never found one. My husband was a very late child and is older than me, so his mom is in her late 70s -- doesn't make for a close relationship.

Anyway, I wanted to say I know how it feels and I'm here. :flower:

I know this feeling very well hun, which is why I just had to get it all out today. Im here for you as well , and my inbox is always open. Im a bnb-aholic now xx

Very sorry you had go go through this with your mother hun xx

I just want to say how much of a super cool person you are, how glad i am to have met you on here and how your Mother (if thats what you call her) doesn't know how lucky she is to have gave birth to you. She doesn't deserve you end of! **HUGS** xxxx

Oh poppet that's terrible :( I have a very difficult relationship with my mother and I know how hard and hurtful it can be. Like the other girls have said maybe some voluntary work would give you a bit more to do and make you feel like you are a good person :) Just remember you'll be great with your little girly xxx:hugs:

So sorry you are in this situation. Its really not fair. All you can really do from this experience is learn from it and know how much of a better mother you want to be and will be. You will be able to have the mother daughter relationship you've always wanted, but with your daughter. Take the poor example of your mother and let it help you be the best mother.

Lots of brilliant advice already so all I can really add is to say that you should try not to waste your good energy on her and focus on you and what an amazing mum you will be. Try to see the negative things you have been through as things that have taught you how to be a better person and in particular a better mother to your own little girl.

:hugs: :hugs:

x

I am so sorry sweetie that your mother is this way:hugs:

i love the name abigail mae! i dont really know what to say but she sounds pretty harsh, and your daughter is lucky to have you as a mother

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
That is awful hun, I'm so sorry she's being that way xx Your little Abigail is going to be beautiful. It sounds like perhaps your mum doesn't realise quite how harsh the things she has said are, and if that's the case she needs to know. You don't need that stress when you're pregnant. We're all here for you honey x

i'm sorry your mom is like that to you. :( it makes me really sad for you! maybe after she sees this grandbaby it'll change something in her. maybe it will make her a little softer and nicer and caring... hopefully. if not though, i would just say not to try anymore. it seems like you are trying so hard to get along with her and just to get her to be nice to you and she just won't... she will realize what she is missing out on when she pushes you so far away that you don't talk to her anymore.

Hey I just came across this thread! I am really sorry that you have problems with your mum. Its very sad because situations like this don't usually get better. . . which I understand is very upsetting. .

I have very similar problems with my dad for years now. . . still coming to terms with everything that has happened. . . although especially when pregnant I appreciate that its probably more noticeable not to have a good relationship with your mum. . . . .

I don't think there is any good advice in dealing with such situations. . unfortunately we do not get to choose our parents :( and they very often let us down! So apart from everything the girls have said already about rules when she will be seeing your daughter I will tell you something a dear friend of mine told me last year when I was feeling depressed with it all. . . he promised me that when I had my own family it will all seem more distant. . . and I will focus on my baby so much that I will kind of "forget" . . .

Now I am 15 weeks pregnant with my first and although emotional and upset with it all still I can already see what he means. . .

Anyway, don't want to bore you. . Just focus on "your" little growing family. . . .!!! And you'll be great!!! :hugs:

If you ever want to talk pm me. . I have been through a loooooot, can not even begin to talk about! :)

I know exactly where you're coming from, hun. My mom really messed up my childhood, and abandoned me at 14. It took many, MANY years of therapy and a lot of problems for me to finally accept that parents are people, and there is no obligation to be around people who make your life miserable. It's been 10 years this Christmas since I've spoken to my mom. She's tried some really rotten things in those 10 years, but I'm super close with my dad, I get along well with my in-laws, and a lot of my friends' parents' have "adopted" me.

When my son is born, my mother will not be around. I carry far too much baggage with me to want my son to grow up the same way. I was worried that being pregnant would make me feel like I was missing something not having a mom, but I get so much support from other people. You just have to stay focused on what is best for you, and what is best for your baby, but never feel obligated to put you or your child in a situation you're not comfortable with :hugs:

Oh honey...I am so sorry you are having to deal with this right now. She sounds like she is a toxic person in your life. Sometimes as much as we love these people it's best to let them go....especially when they bring nothing good into our lives. But it's hard when it's your mom.

Could you join a mom/baby group to help prevent feeling isolated? Are there any types of play groups etc in your area? It must be so hard to deal with her...I can't imagine. But just think about your gorgeous girl in your tummy...and how much love you will show her.....I think you will find you have very little time for your mom once you have Abigail...which is a beautiful name.

hugs.

Don't worry. You can now get to share your life with your baby :) Your baby is lucky to be having a mother like you. Remember, you are not alone. Just touch your bump and you will know why.

Hi Ladies,

I am quite a private person in real life, and I dont usually like talking about personal things but Im feeling like I dont know what to do about the mother situation! Im starting to feel so isolated and depressed about it all I have told her how I feel on many occasions but she never seems to listen..

To cut a long story short, I was on the child protection register from the age of 3, and my mother now has a criminal record for the things she did to me as a child.

This is my first child, and I really wish I had a mother to share my pregnancy with, I feel so happy for you all when you talk about your mothers going to scans, and they have gone shopping with you and they have bought you nice things e.t.c but I can only dream what that feels like and its beginning to hurt so much. I dont know what its like to love a mother. She only usually calls me to have a go at me about something or another, I almost always end up crying.

We are in contact, begrudgingly on my part as I have twin sisters who are only 13 years old but I only get negativity from her. She has nothing positive to say to me, and when I told her I was pregnant I practically had to drag a congratulations out of her. Just to give you an example of the most recent conversations Ive had..

My mum said to me last week " How far gone are you now, 10 weeks? " :shrug:

When I told her I was having a girl she says " But I thought you was convinced you were having a boy? I would have liked a grandson "

" Why are you calling her Abigail, Abigail? I dont like that name at all, and Mae doesnt go as a middle name. "

Latest one..
" Oh, my friend really wants to see a photo of the baby as soon as its born "

Why mum?

" Oh because she wants to see if the baby is ugly or not? "

The last one may shock you all, but it doesnt shock me in the slightest, she has said much worse. Being hormonal and all, I have had some really emotional moments with her on the phone about the things she says to me, but all I get told is

" Dont get upset now, as you know I have had stillbirths because I got too upset in my pregnancy, you dont want your child to come out funny! "

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

I know I have my fiance and he loves me dearly, but I feel so alone. We live in Surrey together, but his family live in Hampshire so I dont get to see them very often. He has one sister, that I keep contact with via facebook and phone calls e.t.c His mother passed away before we even got together which I am sad about as she sounds like someone I would have really got on with.

My mum also recently told me that " she finds it hard to look at me because I remind her of my father who she hated " To be honest, I think I always knew this deep down but who wants to admit to themselves that there own mother doesnt even want to look in your direction which is probably why I have had such bad self image all my life. She doesnt sound like she wants to be a grandmother and I feel sad that my beautiful little girl wont has a grandmother like this..

Anyway, I could go on but I already feel like Im laying myself bare by telling you what I have..

Just felt like I needed to get it out, I hope you dont judge me ladies

:cry:

Oh hun :hugs:

My child will only have my FIL as a grandparent as MIL who was really lovely passed away last June, and i no longer have contact with my parents which a lot of the time is a blessing, but it does make me feel lonely sometimes when i can't just phone them up with the good news, instead my twin sister had to tell them about my pregnancy and she is constantly put in the middle which isn't fair on her. I don't plan to have them in my life or my child life, sad i know, but its not a lot i can do about it. So instead I have a good cry about it every now and then and my hubby can always put a smile on my face.

Feel free to pm me if you want
:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->