Feel terrible, but I hate my husband's old dog!

I feel exactly the same way at the moment - about my OH!
He is old and smells and is getting right on my nerves.

I don't relate to the specific situation, but it's clear that it's really getting to you.

I agree that while you're pregnant your husband needs to take on more of the care of his dog. Also, oldie or not there's no excuse for your dog stealing food from your child. My dogs (I have 3 and the oldest isn't much younger than yours) know better and it cracks me up when my sister lets her badly behaved dogs steal from my 3-year-old.

How about you let him know (diplomatically, now you've vented to us ;) ) that it's time for him to step up.

I agree with the pp that your oh needs to look after his dog, really it should be his responsibility. You're not being horrible, you're a pregnant woman who's dealing with an old dog with lots of issues.

I have no experience of this as it's a deal breaker for me - DH knew from when we were dating that dogs are a big no no and that I would never consider having one in my home.

I totally relate lol. I have one dog left who is an English mastiff that we rescued who is a major pain in the ass. Drools, sheds, farts, snores, smells awful, always stealing food, etc. but my son likes him so we will keep him. But we had a husky who passed in August at almost 25. She always shredded so much, had horrible breath, cried alllll the time, etc. when the baby came we did consider getting rid of all the dogs but then felt guilty so we kept them. She got sick and was suffering so we had her out down (rapidly progressing lymphoma) but going to one dog drastically made things better. But I can say I am looking forward to the day when we have no dogs so I can finally redo my floors and get new furniture. The dog sounds like a major pain in the butt but it won't be around much longer. Dh loves it so it's likely staying around. Maybe try to make some sort of space for it? I agree too about the night getting up. Maybe he needs a visit to vet for some meds. Anxiety meds help with that as well as sleep aids. Hang in there!

Skywalker, I feel so bad for you! Just reading that description made me gag. I don't have any advice better than what's already been offered, but I just wanted to drop in and offer my empathy. I admire your strength and patience. If I were in the same situation, I would have totally lost it already.

I had two healthy, but senior dogs when my DS was born. I loved my dogs very much, but it was really stressful trying to take care of them and the baby. In the Fall, one of them started getting sicker and sicker with kidney disease. It was like having another child. She was peeing everywhere, needed a special diet, etc. She refused her special diet so we were trying all kinds of things to get her to eat. I came home one day to two big urine spots on the carpet and a pile of puke. It was a busy time at work, DS was in a difficult phase and I hadn't even cleaned up from the previous time the day before. It was a really stressful time and I just lost it. I told DH that I was overwhelmed and fed up and that both dogs needed to go! I didn't mean it of course, but in the moment, I was at the end of my rope.

Less than 2 weeks after that, my little dog died and it was horrible. It was like a family member died as I had had her so long. Within two months of that, my other dog died (an aggressive cancer caused fluid to build up in her heart. She basically died the same day we found out she was sick).

My point in telling you all this is that the guilt I felt over what I said and the way I treated the dogs in the Fall when I was stressed and overwhelmed weighs heavy on me now. I would give anything for a do-over so I could be more patient and loving with them in their final months. I miss them terribly. I thought I wanted them gone, but I would take them back in a heartbeat if I could, along with the peeing and sheddy fur, etc.

There probably isn't going to be a lot more time with your husband's dog. It is going to be really hard on your DH when the dog does go and it might even hit you harder than you expect. Just try to appreciate what the dog does/did for your DH and care for it the best you can. I know it's tough. GL.

I'm not that keen on dogs as a whole, and that situation would drive me crazy!

We can dislike a particular person and not be labled a "people hater" so I don't see why disliking an animal makes you evil or a dog hater. I dont like my grandmas schnauzer much because it barks 23 out of 24 hours, I also don't like the kid next door because he's always cutting plants down in my garden. I don't feel bad for it.

I can sympathize! I am a huge animal lover, I have two dogs and a cat, I am a vet tech, and I owned a dog walking company. That being said, I have absolutely met dogs that I don't like, or that I think are gross! It doesn't mean I would treat the gross dog poorly, but would I prefer a stinky, greasy dog to not be in my care? You betcha! It's completely different when it is your own dogs, I probably will not find my two dogs to be gross when they are old and decrepit and stinking up my house.

My hubby is not an animal person and he hated my dog when we first met, we actually broke up for a few months in the early stages of our relationship because he couldn't image living the next 10+ years with my dog. She wasn't old/gross, but she was a rescue with a lot of behavioural problems and required a lot of training/work. I didn't see it as a burden or sacrifice because I love her, but when someone didn't sign up for that kind of commitment it is hard to put that on them and expect them to accept it and deal with it the same way you do. Hubby came around and we obviously got back together, it is now 5 years later and the dog still frustrates him on occasion, but he knows how much I love her and so he cares for her and sees her as part of the family, but I am sure he won't be too devastated when she is no longer with us.

We adopted our second dog when I was about 4 weeks pregnant and I had an aversion to her smell for my entire pregnancy. She didn't smell bad, just a dog smell and for some reason I could not stand it. Even if I bathed her religiously I could still smell her natural scent and it would make me vomit, my hubby couldn't smell her at all but it drove me nuts! I obviously still looked after her, but I couldn't really pet and love on her the way I normally would have, so I feel like I only really started bonding with her in the last few months since the baby has been born. Luckily she has really taken a liking to my hubby, so she got lots of love from him when I had my aversion to her!

My husband's dog is about 14 years old and he's owned him all this time, so obviously hey have a very deep bond and this dog is family to him. To me, I just met this dog in his later years when he's going deaf, blind, sometimes can't use his back legs, has gross fatty tumors all over him, is constantly oily and smelly, has TERRIBLE breath, steals my son's food right out of his hands when he thinks no one is looking, constantly runs in his sleep so kicks the door to our bedrooms when he sleeps so we literally have to create a barricade to keep him away from the door EVERY night. He is honestly the biggest, grossest pain in the ass, and I normally love animals, especially dogs. I feel terrible saying this but I find myself praying that he just will die already, but I know it would be so hard for my husband to let go of him after all these years. He can't have much longer left, but however long it is, it's too long for me! Literally anywhere I walk in the house, he walks like an inch in front of me verrrrrry slowly and then just randomly stops, he's constantly licking my toes with his disgusting smelly tongue, he regularly gags and it makes me gag, he sheds all over everything and his hair is practically a condiment at our house now, and the sound of him bathing himself almost makes me puke. What's worse is I don't want him anywhere near my newborn once he or she comes because he's already not trustworthy around my son! Ugh, and I know my husband would never consider putting him down because even with all the things I just mentioned, he's not in that bad of health or at least it doesn't seem to bother him. Me on the other hand, I want to freaking put this dog down yesterday, and the further along I get, the more nauseas I get, the less patience I have for this dog. UGH! Anyone else in a similar situation?

Hi! I know this is super old but I’m in a similar situation except the dog isn’t old he’s just an absolute terror. Anything he can do wrong he does and I cannot stand him. I didn’t like him from the moment I met him and I normally LOVE dogs. I worked at a vet for over a year and never met a dog I didn’t like. I Even have two of my own that I completely adore. This is not just a problem with dogs, it’s this particular dog. He is unlike anything I’ve ever seen. He gets into trash, eats food off counters, chews through leashes, rips insulation out of our unfinished basement walls, attacks the ducks that waddle through our yard (we live in the country), whines & barks incessantly, paces constantly, sheds horribly, smells awful, is so big that he bullies other dogs to the point of aggression (he’s been bitten twice and every dog I’ve seen him around has a problem with his overbearingness) and doesn’t watch where he’s going so he’s constantly trampling my 4 lb dog, knocks into people, other dogs and anything that is in his path and the list just goes on. He’s completely out of control and I am so nervous about him being around our kids. We just decided to start trying and I’m so worried imagining him near a baby. I don’t see what my husband sees in this dog and if it were up to me he would’ve been gone before we ever got married but I can’t ask my husband to do that for two reasons. One, I love my husband and he loves that horrible awful dog for some reason that I cannot figure out and two, I know he would resent me. I have expressed how I feel about the dog and he’s finally going to build him a heated and cooled shed outside so he won’t come inside the house anymore but our yard is fenced in and I still fear being outside with a baby while he’s out there cantering around without regard. Sorry for the rant but he frustrates me to no end and quite frankly do not want to live with him in my life any more. Anyways, I was just wondering what happened in your case? Was the problem fixed or how did you handle it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"