feel very silly - question about LO's tongue

laurajo24

Reaction score
This sounds so utterly ridiculous, especially now that I'm writing it down!

Harry has never, ever stuck his tongue out. I mean ever! He won't do it as part of a game, when he's eating, won't blow raspberries or lick anything

Today was a great example. I got him an icecream and he got so frustrated with it. It was like he just couldn't figure out how to lick it. In the end, he just shoved it all in his gob!

He's never had a problem sucking his bottle or cups but he never could latch on.

Am i just being paranoid about this? Is it something they learn to do later on?

Could he be tongue tied? It's nothing to worry about, it just means that his tongue is still attached to the floor of his mouth by a tiny bit skin that may need to snipped!! If you're worried get your HV to take a look or even your GP!!!!x

Agree with the above, sounds like Tongue tie. Especially as he couldn't latch. Babies use their tongue to stimulate the nipple for milk whereas with a bottle they don't need to work as hard

Defo speak to HV, it's really easy to sort ;)

I'd have thought it could be a tongue tie too. I couldn't stick my tongue out until mine was cut when I was 7.

I really thought i was just being silly but it does all make sense. I'll have to take him to the GP and try and sort it. I hope it won't affect his speech. Does anyone know if it does?

too late. I googled it! and now i'm even more worried!!!!

bloody google...

I really thought i was just being silly but it does all make sense. I'll have to take him to the GP and try and sort it. I hope it won't affect his speech. Does anyone know if it does?

It's not common for it to impact speech development but the sooner it's sorted the better ;)

It can do, although not in all cases. If it's a problem, it's very easy to have it cut. I think it's appalling that it isn't spotted by midwives straight away though.

It could be tongue tie. At his age though getting it cut would require general anaesthetic.

Its rare for speech to be a problem with tongue tie and alot of the time when cut the speech problem is still there.

My son was tongue tied and we had it snipped when he was 10 weeks old because it was making breastfeeding very painful for me.

I did a lot of research at the time and read a lot of medical journals about it as I was agonising about whether or not to have the procedure. I remember reading that there is absolutely no medically proven evidence linking tongue ties with speech impediments so I wanted to reassure you that this is unlikely.

In most cases, as the child grows and their tongue gets larger, they grow out of the tongue tie. Even if this doesn't happen, it is likely that the only problems he will encounter will be things like you have described - not being able to lick and ice cream and stick out his tongue.

In our case, I think that getting it snipped was the right decision as it enabled me to continue breastfeeding (which we are still doing 10 months later) and at 10 weeks old it is a very quick and simple procedure. I was told by the doctor that it is less painful than injections for the baby. However, I think I would have felt differently if it would have involved a general anaesthetic and a more complicated procedure (which it is for an older child).

I think that it is certainly worth getting your GP to have a look at your DS to see whether they think a tongue tie is likely. With Thomas, it was very obvious when you looked in his mouth, but I think that some tongue ties can be harder to spot. They will then be able to advise you more about the best course of action for you.

Good luck. xxx

My youngest daughter has tounge tie. We decided against having it snipped as she was feeding extreamly well and they will only snip it IF it is causing problems as they actually dont like doing it unless they really really have to.
My LO is talking really well and says lots of words very clearly but not all words are clear but that is most likely developmental not due to TT.
If however it does really effect her speech i will take it from there.

Its really nothing to worry about and one of my best friends has TT and i didnt even realise until my LO was born with it and looking at peoples tounges became a bit of obsession for me lol, any how she has had no problems and talks fine and her son is TT and he has had no problems either.

usually the TT rectifies itself or at least stretches more, its very very common x

My son has tongue tie aswell, he was about 1 week old when I noticed and was shocked the midwives hadn't noticed when we were having such troubles breastfeeding. I begged them to snip it but they said no, I was so paranoid about his speech but he's over 3 years old now and although he has some issues with some letters (mainly R and L) his speech is perfect. Also my neighbour has it and I never noticed until I mentioned that Jayden had it when she told me.

I think after a year old it's a general anethetic. I don't particularly want Jayden to have it done now but if it affects his speech any more I'll be looking into it. My brother had a speech impediment and was bullied something awful because of it and will not have my son go through that. See how he goes in a couple of years with speech etc and make a decision from there :flower: xxx

I have tongue tie that my mum picked up when I was a toddler because I couldn't stick my tongue out. I didn't have it snipped and have no issues with speech, most people would say I never shut up!

If it isn't causing any issues then I would mention it to the GP and see what they say, certainly nothing to be overly concerned about though :hugs:

my son was tongue-tied, it was snipped within the week as he could not feed, because he could not move his tongue. My oh has part tongue-tie to

My son also has a tongue-tie, he does actually stick his tongue out a little way now but it goes forked like a snakes tongue. It took him ages to actually stick it out. He never had to have it cut or anything because it didn't affect his feeding, and up to now hasn't affected his speech.

luca had tongue tie.... his case was apparently very severe. he coldnt eat solids without gagging and took ages to take a bottle. i found the problem at 9 mths. doctors were shocked they hadnt noticed. i got his cut at 9 mths under general an. now he eats like a champ. im so glad i got it cut!

My son is tounge tied, it was spotted @ 8 months.
Hv and dr recommended it was left. He couldn't latch on to the breast so left me unable to bf him. It never got picked up by the mw as it's not overly obvious.
The dr said if he eats fine and has started to say words (of some sort) then they like to leave it unless it causes problems in the future.
Go to the drs is your worried :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->