Feeling boring!

cupcaker

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm into the whole weaning (with purees)thing now, over the last 3 or 4 weeks anyway. I've got my son having a breakfast (porridge with some sort of homemade fruit puree) which goes down really well and his milk.

I feed bottles in the day only. He seems fine with this and because he is looked after by several people in the week through the day, I don't want to get everyone rallying around yet with a lunchtime meal if not strictly neccessary.

On an evening for dinner he has baby rice with some sort of home made veg puree. This is going well, (but he does seem more interested in the morning when it's a bit of a sweeter meal!).

I imagine soon, a meal in the afternoon will be introduced and this meal will be similar to his dinner meal, rice with veg. I feel boring! I know boring is okay for now as he gets used to things, but I don't know what to progress to!! It's always the baby rice!! Can things only get more interesting when he can cope with texture, or should I be offering something else?

Also, I have mixed knowledge about yoghurts. HV had mentioned introducing yoghurt for puddings as long as they weren't silly sugary or sweetened ones (but I can't remember if she gave me an age limit). Other sources have said stay away from dairy until 1 year (I understand that I shouldnt give a bottle of cows milk for example until a year) but I imagine because my baby was formula fed from 8 weeks, he has been 'subjected' to dairy already as formula milk contains milk/dairy/lactose? I have given him small amounts of yoghurt the past two evenings after dinner and he seems to like it. Petis felous of whatever they are called. but somehow feel like it may be "wrong".

help!! seem to be trying to do my best, feeling confident then shot down again soon after xx

You sound like you're doing fab!!

You're right in that they shouldn't have cows milk before a year, however they can have it in foods, such as cereal. I started giving my lo cereal with cows milk when she was nearly 9 months old before she started nursery.

I began giving her yogurts (have a look at your supermarkets own as I've found some have more calcium and less sugar than petit filous and are less than half the price!) about 7 months I think.

I don't think its stay away from dairy as such (as far as I know) as I've been encouraged to give Lo yoghurt and cheese for her calcium intake, especially at a time when she became a bottle refuser, more cows milk as a bottle feed as they can't digest it.

Have you tried asking a purée from your dinners instead to "spice" things up a little bit?

You could make a little casserole and purée that? Xx

Thank you, I will look into the yoghurt thing. I simply chose petis felous because it was the only one I could see 'in writing' that had said "ok" from 4 months and as he is 6 I chose them in my wobbly state of "don't know what I am doing" !!

I will have a think about meals. So literally where appropriate, blend a meal and try? I would be leaving a meal once a day for the people who look after him 4 days a week (mixed family) and that meal I guess really DOES have to be straight forward. Happier to try something more adventurous with evening meal as it's me that does it and I always do breakfast. x

Have you thought about homemade soups. You can get low salt stock cubes and be in control of the consistency for Lo. A great way of introducing flavours and can be for either lunch or dinner. Also natural or Greek yoghurts are great, and can have fruit added to sweeten without the worry of added sugars.

Ooh I went on the theory, baby is over six months, it's fine (apart from salt, sugar etc)
I did tw too, but did finger foods from the get go. I also fed meat and fish after he got used to eating sort of like blw principle.
Anyway you sound like you are doing fine, no rush.
I'd really recommend the Annabel karmel weaning book, got fab recipes that lo adored when eating puree, and they take you all they way to a year.

Thanks folks. Although TWing, I do think some of the BLW elements are nice and would like to offer some finger foods shortly too alongside pureed things to see how he gets on even if he plays with it only. The soup idea is nice too!

Can I ask about meat, did you give meat once your babies were used to finger foods/textures or was it something that got blended too? I think I would rather offer this in solid form tbh but will do whatever is needed. x

Umm both I think. I'd make a puree that included chicken or beef etc, and sometimes I'd just give him a bit as finger food. cottage pie was an easy one, no need to blend, but then I never did the super smooth thing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->