Feeling really scared about section

anita123

Married, mummy to 4
Reaction score
Hi ladies!
Well i had an appointment at the hospital last Friday to see if baby has turned as it was found to be breech when i was 34 weeks. Nope baby still breech so the consultant booked me in for a c section.
I am feeling so scared (sorry petrified) about it! Its all i can think about at the minute and the more i think about it the worst i get!
Im feeling really worried about everything from the spinal to the catheter and recovery. Im hoping feeling like this is normal.

I'm sure you will be fine your baby might turn xx I had an ecs and it was fine as you know at the end you will have your baby, and if yours is a planned section you will not be rushed so don't panic xx I had no problem feeding and recovered very quick x good luck

honestly its not so bad...its just the fear of the unknown and being in their hands...I had section with first and opting for section this time as its all I know...and it wasn't too bad...if anything its just an odd sensation....you don't feel a thing but you do if that makes sense..no pain but you know something is happening....its quite surreal....you'll be fine, try to relax is the only advice I can give...ill be taking it myself in 3 weeks tomorrow...eeeeeeek!!!...xx

I'd love to tell you not to worry, but I am a nervous person myself so I get it!

I just wanted to tell you that my section was really, really smooth, even though it was technically an emergency section. I barely noticed the spinal. My husband was there by my side, there was a nurse by my shoulder the whole time - at one point I said I felt a bit nauseous and half a second later he had given me something to make it go away. The catheter went in when I was numb and the sheets were up so I felt no discomfort or embarrassment.

From start to the baby being delivered was about 10 minutes at the very most, and once the baby is out most of the worry is gone! You will just be listening to that tiny cry.

I was able to stand and move myself from one bed to another a few hours later as the spinal wore off. I was home on day three (I was well enough to go home sooner but they like to keep an eye on you after surgery) and by day four I was off their painkillers and on regular paracetamol. I was walking to the shop about a week later and driving and having sex by week four. Bleeding was just like a regular period and the scar healed without infection.

In other words, I honestly can't imagine it would've been any easier to recover from a vaginal birth. Now I know it's different for everyone, but you always hear 'major surgery' and I wanted to tell you a positive story.

I know your feelings entirely. I've never had surgery before, not even stitches. I was so terrified and I felt very panicky as they started. In the end, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The spinal was the worst part of it as there was some pain with insertion but the actual section there was no pain. I could just feel tugging. I only took percoset a couple times to help sleep, but otherwise I only took 600mg of Motrin 4 times a day until I left the hospital on day 4. Then I've only been taking it here and there. I think the fear of the unknown was worse than anything. You'll do just fine.

I am right there with you this is baby 4 for me but my first c section or surgery of any type for that matter and every so often I am alone with my thoughts and dwell on my fear my section is 6 days away and the closer it gets the more worried and frightened I become every one keeps reassuring me it will be fine but I am a natural born worrier but I am sure we will both be okay the hardest part is dealing with the fear so good luck to you my dear

Surgery is scarey , did they go through what would happen with you ? I feel better as it's been explained and honestly I'm not so scared about it- it's more dealing with the after recovery and looking after two kids that's not going to be easy

I was worried about the epidural but now know they use a spinal block that wears off within a few hours so that's good and the catheter doesn't go in until after spinal is done

My baby is breach too - hoping it will turn itself beforehand as would like a normal birth really

Imogenwanted – thank you, im still hoping this baby will cooperate and turn but I cant see it happening. I can still feel their head tucked up under my ribs.

Ready2bamum – I definitely think it’s the fear of the unknown that has me so scared!! I have never had an operation before and have never had a spinal injection before. Really trying to keep relaxed and stop worrying so much about it.

The why bird – thank you for sharing your story, its nice to hear that it all went smoothly for you and I hope if this baby hasn’t turned and I have to have the section that mine goes as smoothly!

Shyllama – I have everyone telling me its nothing to worry about (even people who have never had a baby never mind a c section). Its nice to hear the other ladies stories here about their experiences. Hope your section goes well!!

Mrsdoddy – I haven’t had anybody explain to me yet what will happen and I think that’s what is making me worry more! I have only seen the dr at the hospital who told me the baby is still breech and he booked the section there and then. I have a pre-op appointment the day before the section date and im hoping they will go through everything then. I have to see midwife for 38 week appointment next Wednesday but to be honest she is completely useless!!fingers crossed these babies cooperate and turn before section date arrives!!

You being scared is so normal, I'm having my 4th c- section and I'm a little nervous too, but all of mine even the emergency one went smoothly. I'm afraid of needles and found the spinal wasn't bad at all, the catheter is inserted after the spinal so that you don't feel it.

I'm hoping your baby gets in the right position so you can have the birth you want.

Having the spinal was totally pain free for me. And the sensation was rather enjoyable. It felt like my bum and legs were floating.
I found it a very positive experience I had my baby with me immediately and he never left my side.

Im feeling just like you even though ive had an emergency section but i was put to sleep all in a rush so had no time to think or know what was going on, after it was fine. The last few days ive been feeling so upset with worry as im having a planned one x

It IS scary but in the end, it'll be okay. I've had a horrible section and a perfect section (both stories are in my signature). Just try and breathe. Best of luck. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->