Fenugreek and domperidone?

babytots

Reaction score
Has anybody used these? How soon did you see results from taking them.

I plan to buy some fenugreek tomorrow and if its possible to get in to see my g.p I'm going to discuss the domperidone.

Jusy wondering how long it took effect and did you notice a big difference or was it not really noticeable.

Want to try everything to get my milk supply up :thumbup: x

domperidone is usually advised as a last resort really, i'd probably advise trying the fenugreek first and seeing what kind of results you get from that.

The domperidone typically takes 24 hours to work but can take longer.

the general consensus is that GP's don't like prescribing it?

mind sharing your issues? we might be able to help?

i buy my domperidone from chemist btw

So you can buy it over the counter rather then being prescribed it.

Any help would be great. At 6 weeks old Lewis got ill with bronciolitis and ended up in hospital ever since then my milk supply hasn't been the same. I was silly and introduced formula but I was at my wits end he was constantly crying through hunger I was constantly crying because I couldn't meet my babies demand it was a vicious circle.

Anyways I want to get my supply back up so can take him off the formula and give excluisvely bf another shot. So far have been putting him on the breast at every given oppurtunity and express when I can but if past experience is anything to go by no amount of feeding will bring it up to an adequate level to satisfy him. He usually has 2 bottles of formula today I only gave him one at bedtime and he drank it like there was no tomorrow whereas bf hes really struggling to get anything out and keeps fussing because theres not much there :( x

its a pain but expressing after each feed or two hourly will help boost your supply,lots of skin to skin and drinking plenty of water helps too.

if you can get anything out expressing give him that in place of some of the formula as the formula will be heavy on his tum and make him go longer between his ff and next feed iykwim?

expressing once in the middle of the night will help boost your hormones and supply too.

domperidone may seem a quick fix,but its expensive to buy (i pay 4.50 for 10tabs and take 2 tabs a day!) and you hav eto wean off them to make sure your supply doesnt suddenly drop.

Have you spoken to a lactation consultant or breast feeding counsellor?

You can buy the domperidone over the counter as 'motillium', its fairly expensive this way but many doctors will not prescribe it as it isn't licenced in the UK for increasing milk production (its actually for bloating/reflux/sickness) and there is a risk they will get into trouble for it. I'd advise fenugreek first though, its often advised to be taken with blessed thistle for maximum effect, both can be ordered online. Also eat a lot of wholegrain oats, malted foods and drinks (ie malt loaf, and supermalt or similar) and make sure you get plenty of fluids. Fennel tea is well renowned for helping to up production as well xx

I had short term supply issues due to use of nipple shields for about 2 weeks. My gp prescribed domperidrone because I asked for it. Seems this is quite rare though as it isn't licenced for this use as a pp said. I noticed a real difference within a day or so and was fortunate enough to only need to take one packet. My supply caught up and has been fine ever since. If you don't have success with fenugreek I would definitely ask your gp but prepare for a possible knock back. For some reason I have never got on with expressing, the most I have ever got out of both breast combined is just under an oz :cry:

OP - sorry I've got no experience to help with your question but I'm going through the same thing at the mo.

My LO is 12 weeks old and I'm going to my GP today on my HV's recommendation to get Domperidone. My baby is at the breast at least every hour in the day and my supply is pretty rubbish, baby's not gaining half as much weight as he should and I'm very close to switching to formula :cry:

It looks like I'd better get some fenugreek too - I searched online and read that this is a type of tea but it also comes in capsules. Does everyone tend to buy the capsules for increasing milk supply? I noticed above that someone said about buying it online.

You can buy fenugreek capsules in holland and barret they are buy one get one half price at the moment. Good luck

Yes buy the fenugreek capsules; Holland and Barratt is a good option, and you can buy them in their shop also or if you're vegetarian various health sites have vegegel caps; the tea isn't strong enough (unless you drink 20 or 30 cups a day).

xx

I heard today that Quinoa is good for supply, im about to go and buy some.

Thanks ladies going to buy some fenugreek tomorrow and if no improvement by mid week next week I'll ask my gp for a prescription and if she refuses then buy motillium over the counter. x

Babytots - just to let you know I got an appointment with my GP this morning and he prescribed me Domperidone no problem when I explained HV had recommended it since my baby was not gaining enough weight and I had supply issue. Hopefully your GP will be as helpful :thumbup:

My GP actually looked up breastfeeding in a medical book and said it recommended a different medication to increase supply but it did the same thing so he gave me the one I asked for... If your doc refuses to prescribe Domperidone you could always ask him to look it up and prescribe you the other recommended drug for supply issues.

I've taken 2 tablets so far today (3 a day prescribed) and I've also bought some Fenugreek from Holland & Barratt (thanks ladies for telling me where I could get it). I am pretty sure my milk supply has increased already :happydance:

Thanks for letting me know hun. My doctor is usually really good and will go with whatever I say so don't think she would turn me away or at least I hope not.

Thats great that you are seeing improvements already.Fingers crossed the same will happen for me. Keep me updated on how you get on with them. x

I will do hun, fingers crossed for you.

The Fenugreek capsules smell bad by the way!!

I did a lot of research recently and domperidone looks too dangerous and has not even been allowed recently to be prescribed for lactation. Fenugreek works pretty good and it's a lot safer.

I did. I also ate lots of oatmeal and for a short while also drank Mother's Milk tea. I think the combo of fenugreek and Domperidone had the best effect.
So happy:change: I have found this website \\:D/ and got domperidone with promocode "GET10"

Last edited:
I found fenugreek and mothers milk tea helpful :)

OP - sorry I've got no experience to help with your question but I'm going through the same thing at the mo.

My LO is 12 weeks old and I'm going to my GP today on my HV's recommendation to get Domperidone. My baby is at the breast at least every hour in the day and my supply is pretty rubbish, baby's not gaining half as much weight as he should and I'm very close to switching to formula :cry:

It looks like I'd better get some fenugreek too - I searched online and read that this is a type of tea but it also comes in capsules. Does everyone tend to buy the capsules for increasing milk supply? I noticed above that someone said about buying it online.

Do you definitely have a supply issue and not a milk removal issue (I baby isn't able to get milk out effectively)? Supply issues ARE real but they are much much much less common than babies not being able to latch/suck/drink effectively - which then causes a low supply. No matter how great your supply, if baby can't drink the situation wont improve. You may already know all this already and have a very knowledgable HV, but some HV's can say latches "look" good when in fact babies are not really drinking. Have you been able to talk to/get a visit from a breastfeeding counsellor (usually someone volunteering for La Leche League or NTC)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->