fertility after chemotherapy

moose31

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this ,searched for this topic but didn't come up with much:

Dh and I just had first baby on Nov 14th after 3+ years Ttc. During my pregnancy (@20 weeks) I found a lump in breast and was diagnosed with breast cancer. I had chemo during pregnancy and am still getting treatment.
Met with OB yesterday for 6 week fu and discussed family planning . Not sure what to do. I have brca1 gene so docs recommending tAking ovaries after done having kids (if I can) ...there is a large possibility chemo has made me infertile. Question: anybody get pregnant after chemo ?
Also pretty freaked out by my odds of getting ovarian cancer very tempted to just take them out now and count my blessings I had this miracle baby... but dh disagrees he thinks we should try again as long as docs think it's safe .I am 32 now will be 33 when all treatment for breast cancer done (chemo surgery and radiation) then have to wAit at least a year to try. So scared of having to have chemo again later for an ovarian cancer it's been the hardest thing I've ever done....but I also have always wanted more than one child....advice 😱

Hi moose, just stopping by to say I'm so sorry to hear about all you have been through :( I haven't got any advice as I haven't been through this but I just wanted to send hugs and best wishes to you.

There might be some people in the health and well being area of the forum who have experience of this and maybe some advice.

I guess you need to maybe have a meeting with your consultant to ask all of the questions like chances of conception after your chemo, chances of cancer returning after chemo and time line and then sit down with your oh and have a big heart to heart about what you both want to do.

If they are just going to take your ovaries could you have ivf to fertilise a load of your eggs and freeze them so that after they have taken your ovaries you could have the embryos put back inside you?

Good luck with whatever path you choose. X

Moose31- So sorry to hear, my thoughts and prayers are with you! I also was looking for a section on her about TTC after chemo. My husband had testicular cancer twice in 14 months just came up on his 1 year cancer free anniversary sept 24th. I know his docs said you can't get pregnant until atleast a year after his last chemo treatment. We have his check up next week and we're hoping for good results. They found a node on his right lung when we went in a couple months ago for a check up. Docs said they weren't too concerned, if he was a chain smoker and 50 years old they'd be a little more concerned. I guess lots of people have nodes on their lungs and are completely healthy. I hope it hasn't grown bc I'm not sure we can handle a third cancer diagnosis in 3 years! That will delay us getting pregnant too until a year after his last chemo treatment again! Fxd!!! I don't know about breast cancer but atleast with my husbands cancer the docs didn't say he would be infertile just that it would take awhile for his sperm count to reach a normal level until atleast a year after his last chemo treatment. Such a hard decision, I'm sure whatever you and your husband chose will be the right decision and that you will be done with cancer forever and healthier than ever and can enjoy your miracle baby and hopefully some more!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->