Fighting a cold

ps57002

Reaction score
Sorry am a first time pregnant and so am very very clueless....

This is week 9 for me. So far I avoided all meds, not even a tylenol.

Today though have a somewhat bad cold and am trying to figure out my options in case it gets worse. Have slight chills and feverish feeling but not quite fever yet.

What meds are options in early pregnancy. I usually hate all meds as my body is very sensitive and I try more natural stuff than not. I regularly do nasal rinses and well I think may be a bit late for that this go.

Please suggest.

I was going to take the zinc lozenges as supplements as I know they help cut down severity and length of cold. Is that safe? Is honey safe in pregnancy so I can drink that with warm water?

How about coldcam or chestal if anyone has heard of those natural cold medicines? Doctors depending on their background give all sorts of conflicting information. Honestly I only had one appt with this gyn and I don't think I want to stay with him so really got no obgyn in place yet too. I will ask the RE office (this is IVF). However not many are familiar with the natural remedies.

Feel crappy at work!!

Honey is perfectly fine.
As far as actual medication.. I believe Tylenol Cold and most cough medications are safe (stay away from decongestants though) but I would always ask your doctor first.
Otherwise make sure you're taking your vitamins, getting lots of vitamin C, and drinking tons of water. If your nose is stuffy try taking warm showers with the bathroom door closed.

Paracetemol is completely safe in pregnancy (not sure what you call it in the US). It'll at least help with the general aches and fever if you are feeling that rough! There are honestly no worries about taking it at all! Don't worry!

I don't really know much about the herbal/natural stuff .. honey is 100% safe. There is a very small risk to babies when weaning but nothing bad in pregnancy. Honey & lemon would def be comforting if your throat is bad! I find hot blackcurrent cordial/squash good for a throats as well or at least a comfort when you feel freezing! Try steaming it out? Head under a towel, over a hot bowl of water? You can put some menthol type drops in the water to help clear your nose!

Otherwise, try to stay hydrated, keep warm and rest. Early bedtimes etc! If you need a day off work to just rest, don't be afraid to take one! Minor illness are harder in pregnancy, your body has to work twice as hard and you can't take much for it! Hope you feel better soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->