Finding prenatal yoga awkward and painful. Any other suggestions for stretching?

TrixieLox

Reaction score
I've done yoga intermittently in the past so thought I'd give pregnancy yoga a go. So got a highly recommended DVD but, having done it a couple of times now, find it awkward and painful. It's aimed at beginners but I struggle to get into the positions and just don't enjoy it. I know these things take a while to get used to but didn't have these problems before.

I walk the dog every day so it's not like I don't get any exercise. But I'd really like to do something that'll help me stretch and be more flexible without being painful.

Any suggestions?

I've found the prenatal yoga depends strongly on the instructor. I tried a whole bunch of local courses and most of them were pretty useless, but I kept asking around until someone recommended my now favorite instructor. So you might just have gotten a lame dvd. There are some free trials online for prenatal yoga courses that you could try.

On top of yoga I do a lot of swimming and water walking/running, both of which are GREAT exercise if you have a pool nearby. For the walking, you can take a weight belt and "walk" in the deep end, or if your pool has a large shallow area you can run/walk there. I put my hand paddles on from lap swimming and use my arms to dig as I walk to get an extra arm work out. I feel pretty worn out after 1/2 hour.

(Just to give a sense of my fitness level, pre-pregnancy I was a serious and fairly successful trail runner and triathlete.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->