finger foods - choking!!

Was he also puree fed before you started trying to give solids?

Well she said the baby was proper choking. I don't see the benefits on actual choking. I get scared to when I feed H and I am home alone and she gags.

I guess its a cultural thing. We don't do that here in Canada and we all eat fine :rofl:

At 8 months, Helena will eat finger foods and not choke and she started on purees and soft foods, because she has not many teeth. Just like an old person, we would give them soft food if they have no teeth. At 6 months, I just gave Helena soft finger foods.

Well she said the baby was proper choking. I don't see the benefits on actual choking. I get scared to when I feed H and I am home alone and she gags.

I guess its a cultural thing. We don't do that here in Canada and we all eat fine :rofl:

At 8 months, Helena will eat finger foods and not choke and she started on purees and soft foods, because she has not many teeth. Just like an old person, we would give them soft food if they have no teeth. At 6 months, I just gave Helena soft finger foods.

I agree. I just can't imagine sitting there and watching my kid choke, and potentially throw up. I would rather start him on things I know he will enjoy and will swallow with no problems and slowly introduce softer finger foods, and harder ones as he gets older.

Probably just a cultural thing.

well sorry. i assumed he was choking but the other girls have assured me hes not and is just gagging. so ah well if u think i am a sh*t parent for giving my child toast but hes had it again and was fine. suppose he just needed to get used to it. and of course i started him on pureed food. im gna leave it at that. i wanted advice and i got that and the reassurance of the others. thanks.

No, I don't. I just was pointing out my opinion on it. If you only wanted to hear BLW people's opinions then just state that.

I was saying that here we do not do that.

Whatever. You can take offense to people's posts or you can try and learn from them and make up your own mind about things.

ok must be a cultural difference. didnt mean to take offence. having a bad day lol.

Also you youself said it wasn't gagging it was "proper choking"
Just was going by your post.

as the others have said it looks like they are choking so can be mistaken. and btw where i come from proper is a sorta slang word of exageration

I just knew where you were coming with, with the scared thing, because I cried once when Helena choked on some baby cookies and turned blue and threw up all over the kitchen.

:hugs: Hope you find some good finger foods. I wasn't meaning to offend anyone at all, I just wanted to point out some other options.

i too think you are a fine parent and was just stating my opinion and how I would react should Alexander gag on something and that I would much rather him swallow it with no worry then worry about the difference b/w gagging and choking.

sorry if I offended. as we have learned through pregnancy and parenting, people do different things all around the world. we should be open to everyone.

yes thanks ladies as i said, didnt mean to take offence - its that time of the month unfortunately. yeah it did scare me very much and as i said i live on my own with Leo so its very scary. He had toast again and was ok but i dont think ill give it to him again for a while because it scared me so much. he has other things which he totally fine with so i will stick to them for now. thank you for the help x

Yeah, we don't use the word proper :rofl:

haha. i live near liverpool in Uk so were bad for slang words. i moved over to US though when i was 10 and came back when i was 12 so ive seen theres a massive difference lol

I must have missed something....

anyway my point was going to be that it's said (now I know not everyone is going to agree with this, and I am not saying its a hard fact) that when babies are started on puree they learn to swallow in a new way (as opposed to how they swallow milk, with their tongue forward) to learn how to swallow pureed foods that are thicker than milk.

So when you start a baby who's had exclusively puree onto solids, they will automatically move food to the back of their mouth like they would with puree so they need to figure out how to manage this new food, that's all :) Apparently some babies will gag more due to have to learn this, but not all. But gagging is learning, nothing bad.

Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this, as the girls have said. He's just working out what he needs to do with a piece of toast as opposed to a puree. So him gagging is him working it out. 99% of the time they will do it on their own, and it's all a learning experience :)

I must have missed something....

anyway my point was going to be that it's said (now I know not everyone is going to agree with this, and I am not saying its a hard fact) that when babies are started on puree they learn to swallow in a new way (as opposed to how they swallow milk, with their tongue forward) to learn how to swallow pureed foods that are thicker than milk.

So when you start a baby who's had exclusively puree onto solids, they will automatically move food to the back of their mouth like they would with puree so they need to figure out how to manage this new food, that's all :) Apparently some babies will gag more due to have to learn this, but not all. But gagging is learning, nothing bad.

Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this, as the girls have said. He's just working out what he needs to do with a piece of toast as opposed to a puree. So him gagging is him working it out. 99% of the time they will do it on their own, and it's all a learning experience :)

thanks! that was really helpful and reassuring :hugs: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->