Fingerfood & gagging - Baby not ready yet?

Cheesepuff

Reaction score
I have offered fingerfood to Alex and he loves the idea, but seems to gag and puke each time.... He takes his purees well and loves porridge, so I have started to give him little bits to hold & eat, as he really loves the whole process and will fight if you try to take the food away. BUT, most of the time, a piece of the food (toast, cracker or fruit) will get down his throat, he will gag and soon after get sick. It's so frustraiting, as he loves the food...

Does this mean he is not ready for fingerfood yet, or should I persevere and he will eventually learn?

My Lo was gagging when we first offered finger foods, he still does it sometimes but not everytime he gets a lump now. I would jsut keep offering, he will soon learn how to manage the food in his mouth!

Yeah, as Lucy says. Gagging etc is all part of the learning process I'm afraid!

Yup! My LO gags, too. Just make sure you let them handle the food and work it out for themselves. That is how they will learn to move food around properly and how far back they can stick something.

And check their mouth when they are done for any stray pieces still hiding in there. :)

Just something that happens, that will work itself out in time. I remember the heart stopping moments well, when you wonder if they are choking !

Thanks girls :) I will keep offering and in the mean time cover everything in sight where he is eating, as sometimes the vomit flies quite a distance.... It's so hard watching him gag & vomit, especially as he seems to love the fingerfood, but as you said, it's something he has to learn !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->