First fertility appointment!!

nlk

Pregnant! #1
Reaction score
Hi! :wave:

Sooo I have my first appointment with the FS on friday, and im getting really nervous about it now!! Im just looking for some advice about it really....does anyone know what will happen at the first appointment? I cant wait to start on clomid now, which is what my doctor has said we are working towards...will i get it prescribed in the first appointment?

any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Hi Nlk,

I'm in the same situation as you - I have my first FS appointment next Wed. I'm not sure what to expect but am nervous too. I'm new to the forum but from what I've read it sounds like it varies depending on the individual FS. FXed that yours and mine are good.
I am guessing that it will involve a lot of tests, for me anyway - I've never had regular AF and my dr suspects PCOS. I hope you get given Clomid, it sounds like it's really good and that lots of people have success with it.

Would be great if you could let me know how it goes :)

thanks for replying matilda....i will definitely let you know how it goes!

i think for you, if they have never actually diagnosed a problem, that would be your first step with the FS. ive already been diagnosed, so i have no clue where they will start!!

good luck with everything! x

Good luck! We did a ton of blood tests, internal ultrasounds, and monitoring thru blood work and ultrasounds the first month.

thanks! ive already had all that done through my gp, so reeeeaalllly hoping they wont do it all again and just give me some clomid. lol!

i had my fertility appointment, and the FS was so nice. he made me feel so much better about it all. and......he gave me clomid!! im so so excited!!!

if youve had any tests/blood tests done already, i would try to make sure to bring along the results of them (if you can). im so glad i took a copy of OHs latest SA, because the gp only forwarded the first one :dohh: so had i now taken it, he would of had to do another one....obviously if youve had no testing yet, and are being sent to a FS on your gp's hunch, then try to ask any questions you have...theyve heard them all before, and it will make you feel so much better! i asked a lot of things that i wish i had asked my doctor, because it would have put my mind at rest sooo much!

good luck on wednesday! make sure you let me how it goes matilda!!

Glad to hear the FS was so nice, and that is so exciting about the Clomid. FXed that it works for you :) You'll have to let me know how it goes.

Will let you know how mine goes Wed :D Am hoping they'll be as good as yours sounds

Wow that was quick, we had to fill out papers, and have a swab test done, to check for infections etc, then they did bloodwork like 6 bottles from me and hubby, they did that first before anything, and asked questions and stuff did a physical exam. Then I had to go back on cycle day 3 of my cycle, and have blood and ultrasound, had to be monitored for a month before they gave me anything. To check everything is normal and stuff. See if you are ovulating etc... :)

Wow that was quick, we had to fill out papers, and have a swab test done, to check for infections etc, then they did bloodwork like 6 bottles from me and hubby, they did that first before anything, and asked questions and stuff did a physical exam. Then I had to go back on cycle day 3 of my cycle, and have blood and ultrasound, had to be monitored for a month before they gave me anything. To check everything is normal and stuff. See if you are ovulating etc... :)

:O thats crazy!!

saying that, i had already had all my bloods donw before the appointment though, so all he had to do was look at the results...i was diagnosed with pcos about 6/7 months ago, so they already knew what the issue was....and OH had already had all his testing done. maybe thats why it was so much quicker?

also, they couldnt have asked me to go back on CD3 because they already know i dont ovulate, thus there is no CD3 for me!! i havent had AF without it being induced for about a year now...so there was nothing to track! x

So I'm back from my first FS appointment. The dr was really good and thorough and I feel so much more positive about the how TTC thing. He said that hopefully things should progress pretty quickly as we're both young (both 26) and healthy (besides the whole irregular AF thing).
He basically asked us a tonne of questions about our medical history and has ordered a number of tests. I had a blood test today to check my ovarian reserve and then have to get a blood test after Easter just to confirm I'm not pregnant. From there I'll be taking Provera to stimulate AF and then from there once AF comes on day 3-5 I need to get another blood test to check hormone levels (I think) and also an internal ultrasound to check for follices/cysts since he reckons I have PCOS. has anyone had one of these before? Is it painful?
He says from that he can tell what's going on and will likely then start with Clomid to get me ovulating. OH has to do the typical SA.
Feeling a lot more positive about it all :)

So I'm back from my first FS appointment. The dr was really good and thorough and I feel so much more positive about the how TTC thing. He said that hopefully things should progress pretty quickly as we're both young (both 26) and healthy (besides the whole irregular AF thing).
He basically asked us a tonne of questions about our medical history and has ordered a number of tests. I had a blood test today to check my ovarian reserve and then have to get a blood test after Easter just to confirm I'm not pregnant. From there I'll be taking Provera to stimulate AF and then from there once AF comes on day 3-5 I need to get another blood test to check hormone levels (I think) and also an internal ultrasound to check for follices/cysts since he reckons I have PCOS. has anyone had one of these before? Is it painful?
He says from that he can tell what's going on and will likely then start with Clomid to get me ovulating. OH has to do the typical SA.
Feeling a lot more positive about it all :)

ahhh thats fantastic! im so happy they were good!

ive had a few of the internal u/s...i find them to be relatively painful, but ive been told thats possibly a result of endometriosis....i also find sex painful (tmi sorry). apparently it should be completely pain-free, so unless you also find sex painful then i doubt you would suffer. but even then, i thought it was bearable. so dont worry :)

ahhh im so excited for you to start the provera and possibly clomid! we'll be going through it all roughly the same time...ive just finished the provera, now waiting for AF so i can start clomid! make sure you keepme updated, cant wait to hear how everything else goes!

Awesome, thanks for the info - I feel much less concerned about it now :)

Will definitely keep you updated - good luck with Clomid, let me know how it goes.

Hi Ladies,

I just started provera today and will begin Clomid when AF decides to show up. I too do not have normal periods at all and was diagnosed with PCOS. We already have two daughters but since I'm five years older and now not having regular cycles he was pretty proactive with giving me the medicine.

I wish you all the best of luck!!!!!!

As for the internal U/S: I have had a few done. Once with my oldest daughter since I had a little bleeding at 6w. It was by no means pain-free BUT I was so relieved to see the little bean in there that I suffered through it just fine. I also find sex somewhat painful since I have a tilted uterus. I think you will do just fine Matilda :) We are in this together now. I am a nervous wreck but very hopeful this will all work!!!

Hi ladies,

We're due for our first appointment in three weeks, April 26th. Up until joining this forum, asking questions and speaking to people I was really nervous. I'm loving this forum though as everyone is so friendly and now I'm quite positive and excited to be going!

We're just in the process of running quite a few different tests so at the moment we have no idea what is preventing our BFP.

Matilda, I've had an internal ultrasound previously and I found it more really uncomfortable. Had a few cramps and a little bleed afterwards, but I wouldn't say it was painful.

I would love to stay in touch with you all, it's nice to have someone who completely understands where you are at, to talk to :)

Thanks ladies :) Nice to hear from you both. I agree, it makes it a lot easier to have other people to share the experience with. Thanks for both of your experiences re the IU :D Make sure you both keep me updated.

Absolutely!! Today was tough on the new medications. I spoke with a pharmacist when we were out today about the severe queasiness. She said it was probably due to the Provera. I am to take that for five days and then stop once AF shows up. I'm on day two now and HOPING it shows tomorrow so I don't have to keep taking that.

Absolutely!! Today was tough on the new medications. I spoke with a pharmacist when we were out today about the severe queasiness. She said it was probably due to the Provera. I am to take that for five days and then stop once AF shows up. I'm on day two now and HOPING it shows tomorrow so I don't have to keep taking that.

...i would double check that information. im pretty sure you only get AF once you have already STOPPED the provera...because its the withdrawal that makes you bleed, not the provera itself. at least, i have NEVER bled whilst still taking provera, and ive taken a couple of times now. this time, i started bleeding 3 days after stopping it. last time though, it was 10!

ive only ever taken it for 5 days at a time, and then waiting for the withdrawal bleed. i would definitely check that out, because i dont think you will bleed whilst still taking the provera x

I think that is the case too - FS told me I have to take it for 10 days straight and then once I've finished taking it, AF will come. Apparently it can take anywhere from a day after taking it up to 2 weeks for AF to appear. He said occasionally AF can come while you're taking it (and if so to stop taking it) but he said that was really rare. Maybe you will be lucky and have this though :)

Ohhh ok, well I'm totally new to this so I just assumed it was going to show up within the course of taking the five days worth like the doctor said. But, today was day 3 and none yet so at least I know it's normal for it to come after the fact.

Hi ladies,

I have my first appointment on Monday am slightly nervous about it. Have had all the tests done previously so hopefully they just give me clomid as I have normal cycles but don't ovulate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->