first month weaning plan

princessellie

Pregnant with #3
Reaction score
ok so im not entirely sure wot i am meant to be doing here, i am convinced im doing it wrong...

i am giving leyla a tiny tiny bit of baby rice after her 3rd feed, i have been giving her it since monday but i dont know how fast i am supposed to be increasing? she has never had more than half of a little weaning spoon cos i dont want to rush her but is that enough? should i be giving her an extra half a spoon a day or is that too much? how much is too much?

i would really appreciate it if you could tell me what your baby had for the first month of weaning, amount, which foods etc? i am planning on making my own baby food, just like vegetable purees and stuff but once again im not sure which ones are ok, i know stuff like butternut squash is not recommended before 6months, which she isnt yet

thank you

x

First month for us went like this ....

Baby rice late morning (11am) with a feed ... perhaps enough to be made up with half an oz of milk

I did that for a week or two, then i did the same again at teatime ....

After 3 weeks i made up baby rice with 1oz of milk, then a few more weeks and 1 1/2oz of milk. Then once it was time for puree's i gave her that at teatime instead of the baby rice.

Then after a couple of weeks i introduced a fruit puree at lunchtime.

So we ended up baby rice for brekkie, fruit for lunch and veggies for dinner

Hope that makes sense hun

How do you make half a weaning spoon of baby rice up lol? I make Rosie about 5 teaspoons of baby porridge or rice & just add her formula bit by bit until its the right consistancy, and I just feed her spoon by spoon until she turns her head away and its obvious she's had enough. I will keep her on rice for about 2 weeks then move to a fruity cerial and maybe a week later start her on puree veg, will start with carrots :) x

no no i dont make up half a spoon lol, i make it up then i give her half a spoon then throw the rest away

pp how did u know it was time for purees? also, if you made up enough for 1/2oz of milk did u give her the whole thing? see leyla doesnt actually like the baby rice so she has had enough after the first tiny bit lol, so it is no good me just giving her it till she doesnt want it no more lol cos she doesnt want it in the first place! would u have just given her the whole thing u made up?

x

I did "know" i just felt the time was right as she'd become established on eating baby rice and was managing it ok.

Baby rice can be a bit blerrrgh, you could try baby porridge instead? One of the first ones i tried was the Organxi banana porridge as you could make it up with formula and not water. Brooke loooooved that and still has it now lol

Just make up half an ounces worth each time and keep at it, its all new to her right now so no doubt she wont want to take very much at all but she'll soon get the hang of it.

is that porridge stuff ok as first weaning food? i didnt know that, will have a look next time im in town, thanks hun, uve really helped :)

x

Yeah it said on the box from 4mths onwards so given that it could be made with formula rather than water i went with that. I alternated between plain babay rice and banana porridge every couple of days and she will happily eat either or now.

I know its horrible when you first start out wondering if your giving them enough of doing it right but you'll both soon get the hang of things :hugs:

Yeah Rosie does not like the rice but she enjoys cow and gate creamy baby porridge x

thanks hun, i'lll get some of that aswell then, i suppose its just trial and error till i find one she likes

x

ok ive confused myself again lol

when do u stop giving milk before solids? and how many milk feeds does she need? shes on 5 now...i presume that stays the same at least till she is on purees as she isnt getting enough baby rice atm to drop a feed?

x

Yeap keep her feeds the same hun

As for giving milk before/after its really dependant on her ... Some people give half a feed, then rice, then the other half just to get their LO's into the swing of things, and then start to give them their rice before their milk.

I did that for the first week.

thanks hun, ive been giving her milk before rice because if she gets interrupted halfway through a bottle she screams the place down haha and i dont think weaning will be very easy with a screaming baby :lol:

x

Some people do it at seperate times to feeds ... say 1 hour before a feed. But i think when your just starting out its easier to do rice and a feed at the same time.

If your using the milk from her feed to make the rice up then it wont really matter if she has it before or afterwards as she'll still be having the same amount in total iykwim?

yeh i always leave a little in the bottom of the bottle and then just use that to make up the rice after

oh i have another question..lol, sorry, u'll be sick of me hehe

how do u heat baby rice or puree? sit it in hot water? i dont want to microwave it but i cant think of any other way lol

x

i did it completely different so i dont want to confuse what others are telling you hun, i followed A karmel book.

Lou
xxx

I put the bottle in the bottle warmer and heated the milk for the rice that way hun.

Of course not everyone does it the same way, everyone does their own thing to some extent, youve just got to find what works for you and Ley

ive got that book aswell but it confuses me lol, it seems to be going a bit fast

wot did u do?

x

I put the bottle in the bottle warmer and heated the milk for the rice that way hun.

Of course not everyone does it the same way, everyone does their own thing to some extent, youve just got to find what works for you and Ley

thanks hun, is it ok to reheat the bottle after its been drunk from?

x

i did the first 3 days of baby rice then we went onto veg and then fruit still only a cube full each day then we upped it the following week

i personally would say u cant reheat once its already been used hun but i only used the milk slightly warm anyway

Lou
xxx

thanks hun...yeh i was thinking that, she doesnt really like it cold though, i think i will make up an oz of milk after ive fed her and use that for the rice so its still warm

what about the puree? how do u heat that?

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->