First Pregnancy - Questions?

DDGlas

Pregnant #1 - first tri
Reaction score
Hey Ladies,

This is my first pregnancy, and while I am really excited I am also really scared that I will miscarry. I am 5 weeks and 4 days. My first doctor appointment is on Friday (27th), what can I expect?

Also,
I have already gained at least 5 pounds and I already have a noticeable bump. Is that normal, or even healthy? I have an appetite like you would not believe, and I know I'm supposed to be gaining weight for the little, I just don't want to be gaining to much.

Can you ladies give me some advice? :shrug:

My situation is a little different since I can't even guess how far along I am. But at my first doctors appointment it was mainly all talking. He did do a pap & tried to find a heartbeat (but i'm too early??) & because of the doctor I chose I have to wait until Tuesday to get an ultra sound to find out dates. They should give you information on how much weight is healthy to gain too. I got a pregnancy book from them & all kinds of packets. They'll check your weight & blood pressure, and you'll need to give a urine sample & they'll take your blood to test you for the pregnancy panel & HIV. I think seeing the doctor helps ease some worry because i'm terrified as well! Hopefully you'll get to see your little bean while you're there too!! Good luck! You might also want to go a little early to fill out paperwork. Some doctors ask you the questions themselves and sometimes they make you fill out a ton of things on your health & your familys health.

Hey welcome and congrats!!!

I know the thought of miscarrying is always in the back of your mind. But honestly try not think about it.. and focus on the positive!! Stressing about it will only make things worse, so try to take your mind away from that!

It is so hard to say what will happen at your appointment, because everywhere and every doctor is different! I live in Iowa here in the states, so I can give u insight of what happened at our first appointment..

I was 7 weeks.. we did have an ultrasound and baby was a TINY blob and we did see a heartbeat.. but even if you don't, I wouldn't worry because u would be like a little over 6 weeks? but.. you may see heartbeat too!! My doctor drew my blood and checked HCG levels.. Changed my Asthma prescriptions.. and Then I went back when I was a little over 9 weeks and had my actual full "ob appointment". Full blood draw panel... what u can and cant eat/do.. all that jazz. And I actually got a 2nd ultrasound.. where baby looked like a baby! Which was cool.. but like I said it honestly totally depends on who your seeing and where you are going!!

At my first appointment at 7 weeks.. I gained 4 lbs!! But was told it was due to soo much bloating and I was drinking water like crazy. When I went back... I had lost 7lbs due to morning/all day sickness and loss of appetite. Itll go back and forth during the first tri! So don't worry about that too much. Also... A little after 6 weeks is when my sickness really hit. but some women get none and some get tons.. you'll find out soon!

GOOD LUCK! Hope that helped a bit

Thank you ladies so much! Really helped ease my worry. :hugs:

I've noticed that if I go a long time without eating that I feel the sickness coming on.. Hopefully it won't hit me too strong. But yeah, you are correct I am a little over 6 weeks.. I really want to hear the heartbeat as I think it will calm my nerves a lot more. What frightens me more is that my husband won't be able to attend with me :( He wants to go but unfortunately can't miss work. I really appreciate you ladies taking the time to respond! :flower:

Hey Ladies,

This is my first pregnancy, and while I am really excited I am also really scared that I will miscarry. I am 5 weeks and 4 days. My first doctor appointment is on Friday (27th), what can I expect?

Also,
I have already gained at least 5 pounds and I already have a noticeable bump. Is that normal, or even healthy? I have an appetite like you would not believe, and I know I'm supposed to be gaining weight for the little, I just don't want to be gaining to much.

Can you ladies give me some advice? :shrug:

Hey, first, congrats! :hugs: :happydance: I think that fear is normal, but try to focus as much as you can on positive, affirming thoughts about your pregnancy. Don't dismiss the role that your thoughts play and how they can influence stress hormones! Easier said than done, but what I did/do is I talk to my baby. I just imagine positive things about my pregnancy and birth. I know it's not easy but try to train yourself to think positively! I think it really does have a positive influence!

Also, I've gained about the same or more. I'm having the same issues. Some of it is water retention (when I was six weeks, my belly looked even bigger than it does now at 7 weeks!) some of it is actual weight gain because I have to eat every few hours or I feel really nauseas, and often I have to eat right before bed which of course you learn when you're dieting is a big no no because your body just converts it to fat if you don't move around. For me if I DON'T eat before bed I am in for a night full of nausea. I try to move towards healthier options, like yogurt is my quick, go-to before bed and wake-up-in-the-night-nauseas food. In the second trimester, when I hopefully have more energy, I'm planning on exercising again to stay fit. I think it's normal to gain that much in the first trimester but I could be wrong.

Congrats again! I hope these answers helped you! :hugs:

Thank you ladies so much! Really helped ease my worry. :hugs:

I've noticed that if I go a long time without eating that I feel the sickness coming on.. Hopefully it won't hit me too strong. But yeah, you are correct I am a little over 6 weeks.. I really want to hear the heartbeat as I think it will calm my nerves a lot more. What frightens me more is that my husband won't be able to attend with me :( He wants to go but unfortunately can't miss work. I really appreciate you ladies taking the time to respond! :flower:

I ddglas :) my husband didn't get to go with me to my first ultra sound either because hes away for training. But I also amd extremely early maybe 5 weeks 4 days and only was maybe 5 weeks when they did the ultra sound. so don6t worry im sure you will hear the heart beat soon :) good luck!

I had a bump literally from finding out I was pregnant. I'm 29 weeks Wednesday and the midwife has just told me I've only gained 3 pounds. I definitely put on more weight in my first trimester, although the doctor said I've lost weight in myself. Try not to worry :) I have a massive bump and showed early yet still managed to only put on 3 pounds x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->