First Shoes, What Age?

Kitty1979

Mummy to a Little Prince
Reaction score
My LO isn't walking yet but is standing. My gran wants to buy him his first shoes, do u get these before they are actually walking? He has shoes now but not proper ones like in Clarkes (uk) iykwim.

You wait until they've been walking for a couple of weeks as it's better for their feet.

Ashley had a pair of cruisers a week before he started walking just for walking outside, if we were indoors he was barefoot and if he was in his pushchair he had booties. I only put the cruisers on him because it was February.

Thanks button I thought I'd read somewhere better to get them after they have began walking.

Podiatrists are now recommending that they remain in soft-sole shoes (like Robeez) even after they begin walking. Structured shoes seem to mess with their ankle & arch development.

My LO took his first steps just before he turned 11 months old, but he didn't wear structured shoes until he was 13.5 months old....by then, he was a pro at walking & running & I could actually see his foot arches developing. After that, I bought him a pair of flexible sole shoes & I still have him in flexible sole shoes.

A friend was recently in Clarka buying shoes for her LO and apparently they recommend not buying them until bubs can walk around 10 steps unaided.

I didn't even own a pair of shoes for my son until he was properly walking/running well. He started walking at 11 months but didn't get any shoes for while. Can't remember how long though :nope: :shrug: But the ones I bought were very flexible, not stiff at all, and wide (he had (still does :p ) a wide foot)

My brother bought my daughter some cute lil sandals for the summer but since I don't believe in baby shoes when they are not needed, she's never worn them.

Officially not till they have been walking but we got her some cruisers because she was wanting to walk around furniture when we were out.

Clarks recommend up on their feet for at least 6 weeks before shoes.

My son got his first shoes at 19 months, took first steps at 17 months.
My daughter got her first shoes at 16 months, took first steps at 14 months.:flower:

DS took his first steps at 9.5 months but we didn't get him shoes until he was about 11 months. And then he walked like he had moon boots on for a few days :haha:

I'm a trained shoe fitter for kids shoes (specifically Startrite and Hush Puppies brands). The current guideline is that you shouldn't put shoes on your child's feet until they've been walking unaided and confidently for at least eight weeks. Once that time has passed you can get them fitted for their first pair.

The shoes shouldn't be too hard because your little one won't be used to the structure around their foot. Ask at a Clarks, Russell & Bromley or Startrite outlet for the best shoes for your child. Also don't let them wear them for longer than necessary; I.e. When your child is in the buggy it's unnecessary for them to wear their shoes. Shoes confine the feet, and the feet are used to being spread at this stage.

I have a 20 month old and she only ever wears shoes when she's walking outside. She still doesn't wear shoes indoors, or in her buggy. When she was only just walking she would be bare-footed indoors, and if she had to wear footwear outdoors we would put pram shoes on her, simply because they're far softer than regular shoes, and they're not as restrictive.

Please follow the guidelines as doing against them and putting shoes on your child's foot before the eight week mark can hinder the development of your child's feet, and it can lead to ongoing problems in later life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->