First Trimester Bleeding? anyone?

Scarlett07

Reaction score
Hello, I am 34 years old approx 4 weeks pregnant, however I am unsure about the exact stage as I MC on 29th Nov 2010 so have conceived quite quickly which was a surprise.
I have never been pregnant before, I came off dianette in december 2010 to try for a baby, it took 11 months to conceive originally and then I MC.

I am concerned I could have another MC.

I have been spotting on and off for 3 weeks.

I did a clearblue digital test on wednesday and it stated I was 2-3 week.
This shocked me greatly as I have been spotting very light for past 3 weeks ! .... just assuming I was menstruating and that my cycle was still irregular due to the MC, never realised I had conceived!

I know implantation blood, if any experienced , should not really go on this long.

I would like to hear from anyone who has or is currently suffering first trimester bleeding and what outcome it resulted in.

I don't even want to accept I am pregnant as I am so pessimistic about pregnancy due to my recent experience. I feel very lonely deep down and can't really talk to partner or family as I feel a sense of guilt...I don't know why...I don't drink, smoke and very healthy bmi etc..

I suppose I feel inadequate if I lose this pregnancy too, I am 34 and feel my clock is ticking fast.

If anyone has any experience of this please can you share your experiences.

Mine is very light, but it is red,it is not enough to even fill a pantliner , it is just when I wipe.
I do not have any cramp at all, just a dull ache in lower back.

I am so scared this is going to result in another miscarriage I feel miserable and can't really focus on anything other than this.
I have been to the doctor today who has taken a blood sample. Other than that not been to EPU , I may go next week if this continues.

It would be so helpful to hear your thoughts ladies , greatly appreciated.
Trying to stay positive.

I'm so sorry to hear of your mc, and congrats on your pregnancy!

For now, I think it might be best to go to the EPU, you know we can all try to reassure you, but we each are individuals, and what may have happened to one, may not happen to you.

I had spotting this week and was very scared. I went to the EPU today, and they said I had to come back in two weeks time to try to see a heartbeat. No one will now be able to reassure me until I see that, so I am going to try to stop worrying. This is impossible though I know.

I'm sure you're feeling more worried because of your recent mc, but I really hope all is alright for you.

:hugs: and good luck!

Like the poster above said, every body is different.

I would guess that your spotting is implantation blood. I had spotting (pink/brown) from weeks 4-6 with some mild cramping in week 4. Due to your previous experience, I cannot say what your exact condition may be, but if the test says you're pregnant, treat it as so. Please take prenatal vitamins, drink plenty of water and keep your feet elevated. Rest is very important. Get your blood work results and ask about HCG levels.
Do not rush into any procedure that may harm your baby and try to relax. I know it is easier said than done. Talk to your partner about your feelings; whenever I am feeling down, I tell my husband and he usually finds the silver lining for me. Best wishes.

I would agree that it sounds like implantation bleeding - and 4 weeks is about the right time for this. From what I've read, there can be a couple of different implantation times - one when the blastocyst (as it's called before 4 weeks I think) burrows into the lining, and one a bit later....sorry, can't remember the cause but I've definitely read that it can occur as late as 6 weeks into pregnancy...

But you asked for other experiences, and although everyone is different, I'll share mine if it'll help. I'm 8 weeks now, but at 5+4 I started spotting, light pinkish blood when I wiped at first, nothing on pantliner. Panicked, I went to GP who diagnosed UTI and gave me antibiotics (felt like cystitis too). Spotting continued, and progressed to light brown mucousy stuff - on a pantliner but not loads. This worsening happened over a weekend so spoke to NHS direct and they advised rest and to contact GP on the Monday. So then on the Monday my GP referred me to EPAU and I spoke with them that evening. During that day I'd also got quite painful AF type cramps and lower back ache. The EPAU nurse was concerned about ectopic so asked me to attend the emergency assessment clinic the next day - when I'd be 6+4 (6+5 by their calculations).

Anyway, after a very anxious wait, I had internal exam and doc said the bleeding was coming from an ectropion cervix (common side effect of being on pill longterm) and nothing to worry about. I then had an internal scan as they were still concerned about ectopic (tender to one side). Then I saw our little poppyseed :) with a heartbeat :) and the yolk sac. Having said that, I was lucky to see so much so early, and my midwife (at subsequent booking in appt) was quite surprised I had.

So far, things have settled down, but the ectropion means I'm susceptible to bleeding from my cervix if I do anything strenuous (sex, big poo etc) or for no reason at all. No spotting for nearly a week now, but I remember only too well how terrifying and draining it all was when things were so uncertain.

You are NOT inadequate for having a mc and usually it's nature's way of making sure only the strongest beans make it through. And 34 isn't that old either; you've got a few years in you yet (although it may not feel like it when lots of forum-ers are young 'uns)

I won't say don't worry as I know that's not possible - but try to do something else to distract you until you are further along and can have a scan. At the moment, it's out of your control - and that's the hardest part I know.
Big hugs, and hope some of this helped
xx

Did you ever have a normal period after your m/c? Did you have your hormone levels tested to make sure they went back to 0?

I only ask, because to be bleeding for 3+ weeks isn't really what one whould call normal. Certainly it happens, and things turn out fine, but it's something that should be checked out with your doctor?

I guess, I'd just be worried about possible retained products from your previous m/c, if your levels never went back to 0.

If they did, then I think you should still check with the doctor. They can do two blood tests 48 hours apart, and see how things are progressing with this pregnancy.

Good Luck Hun!!

I'm so sorry to hear of your mc, and congrats on your pregnancy!

For now, I think it might be best to go to the EPU, you know we can all try to reassure you, but we each are individuals, and what may have happened to one, may not happen to you.

I had spotting this week and was very scared. I went to the EPU today, and they said I had to come back in two weeks time to try to see a heartbeat. No one will now be able to reassure me until I see that, so I am going to try to stop worrying. This is impossible though I know.

I'm sure you're feeling more worried because of your recent mc, but I really hope all is alright for you.

:hugs: and good luck!

Many thanks for your support, I have my fingers crossed its just how this pregnancy is , as you rightly say we are all different, and miracles can happen , hope all goes well in 2 weeks, I'm sure it will. All the best x

Did you ever have a normal period after your m/c? Did you have your hormone levels tested to make sure they went back to 0?

I only ask, because to be bleeding for 3+ weeks isn't really what one whould call normal. Certainly it happens, and things turn out fine, but it's something that should be checked out with your doctor?

I guess, I'd just be worried about possible retained products from your previous m/c, if your levels never went back to 0.

If they did, then I think you should still check with the doctor. They can do two blood tests 48 hours apart, and see how things are progressing with this pregnancy.

Good Luck Hun!!

Hello , I did have a normal period end of december but never had hormone level tested as I was assured my womb was clear via trans-vaginal ultrasound and had since MC tested negative on a few tests so hopefully not retained conception tissue , but it had crossed my mind, thanks for the advice

Like the poster above said, every body is different.

I would guess that your spotting is implantation blood. I had spotting (pink/brown) from weeks 4-6 with some mild cramping in week 4. Due to your previous experience, I cannot say what your exact condition may be, but if the test says you're pregnant, treat it as so. Please take prenatal vitamins, drink plenty of water and keep your feet elevated. Rest is very important. Get your blood work results and ask about HCG levels.
Do not rush into any procedure that may harm your baby and try to relax. I know it is easier said than done. Talk to your partner about your feelings; whenever I am feeling down, I tell my husband and he usually finds the silver lining for me. Best wishes.

Many thanks for your valuable advice. I really do hope this is the case.. I also talked to my other half when he got home and broke down in tears , he was very reassuring and supportive. I will open up more in future to him as I felt better for that little cry and hugs.
I am taking prenatal tabs and have been since my last failed pregnancy and trying to relax a bit more, many thanks , big love

I would agree that it sounds like implantation bleeding - and 4 weeks is about the right time for this. From what I've read, there can be a couple of different implantation times - one when the blastocyst (as it's called before 4 weeks I think) burrows into the lining, and one a bit later....sorry, can't remember the cause but I've definitely read that it can occur as late as 6 weeks into pregnancy...

But you asked for other experiences, and although everyone is different, I'll share mine if it'll help. I'm 8 weeks now, but at 5+4 I started spotting, light pinkish blood when I wiped at first, nothing on pantliner. Panicked, I went to GP who diagnosed UTI and gave me antibiotics (felt like cystitis too). Spotting continued, and progressed to light brown mucousy stuff - on a pantliner but not loads. This worsening happened over a weekend so spoke to NHS direct and they advised rest and to contact GP on the Monday. So then on the Monday my GP referred me to EPAU and I spoke with them that evening. During that day I'd also got quite painful AF type cramps and lower back ache. The EPAU nurse was concerned about ectopic so asked me to attend the emergency assessment clinic the next day - when I'd be 6+4 (6+5 by their calculations).

Anyway, after a very anxious wait, I had internal exam and doc said the bleeding was coming from an ectropion cervix (common side effect of being on pill longterm) and nothing to worry about. I then had an internal scan as they were still concerned about ectopic (tender to one side). Then I saw our little poppyseed :) with a heartbeat :) and the yolk sac. Having said that, I was lucky to see so much so early, and my midwife (at subsequent booking in appt) was quite surprised I had.

So far, things have settled down, but the ectropion means I'm susceptible to bleeding from my cervix if I do anything strenuous (sex, big poo etc) or for no reason at all. No spotting for nearly a week now, but I remember only too well how terrifying and draining it all was when things were so uncertain.

You are NOT inadequate for having a mc and usually it's nature's way of making sure only the strongest beans make it through. And 34 isn't that old either; you've got a few years in you yet (although it may not feel like it when lots of forum-ers are young 'uns)

I won't say don't worry as I know that's not possible - but try to do something else to distract you until you are further along and can have a scan. At the moment, it's out of your control - and that's the hardest part I know.
Big hugs, and hope some of this helped
xx

This really reassures me , many thanks, I just hope this is the case and is natural implantation. I have no cramps(yet) like with the previous miscarriage, I just hope I can ge through this. I do feel very low but know I need to be strong and prepare myself for whatever is ahead. You've made me feel a lot brighter, may thanks again for sharing your experience, it sounds so reminiscent of mine so far. I will go to EPU and get checked out. Big love to ya x

I spotted at 8 weeks and baby is perfectly fine :thumbup:

It does sound like implantation bleeding, it can take a long time to work itself out sometimes, so you will spot for days or even weeks. I am also currently bleeding/and spotting but I am 8 weeks. I know mine isnt implantation since it just started 6 days ago. I was (and still am) very worried, have had 2 ultrasounds the past 6 days and baby is there with a great heart beat!! I have whats called a subchorionic bleed which means part of the placenta seperated from uterine wall, but most of the time it reattaches, so I am just waiting and hoping and praying for it to happen!! Good Luck with your pregnancy hun, I hope it all works out for you!

Sorry you are going through this worry :hugs: I have been experiencing this for almost 3 weeks now (ranging from brown spotting to full on red bleeding). I went for a scan un Monday and everything looked fine. The nurse said that it just happens to some ladies.

I do feel a lot better now but the bleeding continues and I can't wait for my next scan in just over 2 weeks to make sure all is well!

I had what I thought was my period for a good 4-5 days. It was light (but a lot heavier than i expected implantation bleeding to be) I thought it was because AF had come a week early and there was not as much lining to shed. I then had a little spotting around the same time we found a HB in the dating scan. I then proceeded to have 2 bleeds- one with clots- i did have an emergency scan and it showed a small bleed in the uterus. The doctor put it down to the placenta attaching and detaching while trying to grow. And then i had brown spotting pretty much until the end of the 1st tri. I did notice with the brown spotting that it was related my constipation- so i suspect it was a sensitive cervix. From then have only spotted once (knock on wood). I had NO idea before my BFP that bleeding was as common as it was. I wish i did know however- would have saved a lot of stress.

It does sound like implantation bleeding, it can take a long time to work itself out sometimes, so you will spot for days or even weeks. I am also currently bleeding/and spotting but I am 8 weeks. I know mine isnt implantation since it just started 6 days ago. I was (and still am) very worried, have had 2 ultrasounds the past 6 days and baby is there with a great heart beat!! I have whats called a subchorionic bleed which means part of the placenta seperated from uterine wall, but most of the time it reattaches, so I am just waiting and hoping and praying for it to happen!! Good Luck with your pregnancy hun, I hope it all works out for you!

I sure hope so, I am still on/off spotting , it is red and today has had very small stretchy type clots/shreds of blood, it is infrequent though, its as of when I rest it goes but then when I stand up or bend over etc.. I then feel wet, I go to wipe and there is red blood then it wipes off and is gone..
I do not have any pain however, apart from horrendous bloat. I met my friend yesterday in Leeds and I had to undo my jeans for the day (good I had a long top/coat on!).
I did another clearblue indicator test today that states 3+ weeks , so it has increased from 2-3 wednesday , when I was bleeding ..to 3+ , maybe a good sign?.

I am going to EPAU tomorrow though for an early scan. I am concious not to let them use trans-vaginal ultrasound though , I may sound paranoid but I miscarried after seeing my identical twins at 6 weeks last time after they put that up , when they pulled it out it was thick red with blood.

I wish you all the best , big love to ya x

I had what I thought was my period for a good 4-5 days. It was light (but a lot heavier than i expected implantation bleeding to be) I thought it was because AF had come a week early and there was not as much lining to shed. I then had a little spotting around the same time we found a HB in the dating scan. I then proceeded to have 2 bleeds- one with clots- i did have an emergency scan and it showed a small bleed in the uterus. The doctor put it down to the placenta attaching and detaching while trying to grow. And then i had brown spotting pretty much until the end of the 1st tri. I did notice with the brown spotting that it was related my constipation- so i suspect it was a sensitive cervix. From then have only spotted once (knock on wood). I had NO idea before my BFP that bleeding was as common as it was. I wish i did know however- would have saved a lot of stress.

It is very stressful. I am not even accepting I am pregnant to be honest as I only had MC end of Nov 2010 and was deeply devastated to lose my identical twins, so I don't even dare visulise a baby at moment , I'm just calling it the blastocyst. I am preparing myself for the worst, still on/off bleeding but no pain, still feel pregnant and testing at 3+ week today on clearblue digital.
I dare'nt go for a poo! I am plagued with constipation and I am do paranoid about pushing as it inevitabley makes me bleed. Oh dear , this is so not how I expected pregnancy to be. I am getting checked tomorrow at EPAU, All the best to you in your pregnancy, big love x

hi there
good luck tomorrow; they probably will need to use t/v ultrasound at this early stage though....when I had mine it came out covered in blood - and I bled bright red for a couple of days after. But they don't put the probe (great name!) in very far and def not beyond the cervix so there's no danger/risk.
Big hugs and let us know how you get on xx

Sorry you are going through this worry :hugs: I have been experiencing this for almost 3 weeks now (ranging from brown spotting to full on red bleeding). I went for a scan un Monday and everything looked fine. The nurse said that it just happens to some ladies.

I do feel a lot better now but the bleeding continues and I can't wait for my next scan in just over 2 weeks to make sure all is well!

It sounds like you are experiencing the same range and duration of bleed that I am, overnight I get nothing if I get up for a wee but then in morning I have red wipe, do you find it just goes and then you wipe and its there after loo also, or standing / bending. I also have lower back pain.
I seriously can not still accept I am pregnant, following 5 positive tests , ands even with the clearblue notching up to 3+ week yesterday since wednesdays 2-3 week.

Are you getting any pain with yours?
I have had slight 'twinges' and dull aches but no way near like the deep cramps and subsequent contractions when I MC end of November. So this is supposed to the good!

I am going to EPAU tomorrow for an early scan.

Big love to ya x

hi there
good luck tomorrow; they probably will need to use t/v ultrasound at this early stage though....when I had mine it came out covered in blood - and I bled bright red for a couple of days after. But they don't put the probe (great name!) in very far and def not beyond the cervix so there's no danger/risk.
Big hugs and let us know how you get on xx

Many thanks for the reassurance. I will have to get my answers so I will have to have t/v I suppose. Will let you know how I get on, take care , love n hugs to ya x

HI Scarlett, thanks for this thread. I got my bfp on 19 January and started bleeding the next day. It was light at first and then heavy for a few days. It stopped by the Monday and I've had positive tests since. Due to do another test tomorrow so keeping fingers crossed it's still positive. Got doctor's appointment this week and hoping they'll arrange a scan for me soon.

I won't believe I'm pregnant until I see the little one and a lovely little heartbeat.

Everything crossed for you

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back